Any experience with Linguatec?
Thread poster: Ilka Nahmmacher
Ilka Nahmmacher
Ilka Nahmmacher  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:40
German to English
Feb 3, 2015

Does anyone have experience with the Linguatec machine translation package? It is the only package I have found that operates offline, which is important to me and my clients. Or do you know of another MT software that operates offline?

Thanks.

Ilka

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Systran Feb 3, 2015

The last time I looked, Systran worked off line.
http://3s-schrader.com/talkenglish-be48b-offline-version-bef4b-full-free

Ilka Nahmmacher
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
What is your experience with Systran? Feb 3, 2015

Thanks, I just looked it up. Indeed, it works offline, thanks.
http://www.systransoft.com/translation-products/desktop/systran-7-home-translator/

Have you ever worked with Systran? How do you like it? Does it let you highlight a text in the TMS and then propose a translation in a separate box?

Thanks.

Oleg Vigodsky
Oleg Vigodsky
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:40
English to Russian
PROMT MT Feb 5, 2015

Ilka,

I can recommend PROMT MT tools (www.promt.com). You may download a trial version (valid witnin 1 month).

I use PROMT systems since 1993. Particularly, for English-to-Russian and Russian-to-English translations (mainly in IT + Telecom subjects).

This is an excellent tool, but you need to properly and timely customize it.

Ilka Nahmmacher
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Questions on Promt Feb 6, 2015

Dear Oleg,

Thanks for your reply. I've got two questions for you.

1) Does Promt work offline?

2) How does Promt interact with TMS? For example, is it possible to highlight a text in the TMS and Promt then automatically translates the text in a separate Promt box?

Thanks.
Ilka

Oleg Vigodsky
Oleg Vigodsky
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Using PROMT Feb 6, 2015

Dear Ilka,

1. Yes, PROMT is an (off-line) desktop product. I have my PROMT installed at my PC.

2. Do you mean by TMS a specific product or a system type?

Ilka Nahmmacher
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Promt details Feb 6, 2015

Hi Oleg,

So when you say it is installed on your PC, do you also mean that it does not have to access the Internet to work?

By TMS I mean any of the common translation memory products: Across, Transit, Trados

Thanks.
Ilka

Oleg Vigodsky
Oleg Vigodsky
Russian Federation
English to Russian
More PROMT info Feb 6, 2015

Hi, Ilka.

Ilka Nahmmacher wrote:

So when you say it is installed on your PC, do you also mean that it does not have to access the Internet to work?

Yes. Desktop PROMT only needs its local resources (built-in TM, dictionaries, DoNotTranslate lists ...).

By TMS I mean any of the common translation memory products: Across, Transit, Trados

Thanks.
Ilka

OK, I forwarded your question to PROMT Support and received this reply:

How does Promt interact with TMS?

Depending on what you mean by "TMS"

a) Translation Memory System - PROMT has a plug-in for Déjà vu, the plug-in for SDL Trados Studio will be released in this year. Plug-in works directly in TMS and suggests machine translation for segments that were not found in TM. As for the other TM systems (MemoQ, Multicorpora etc.), you can also establish workflow with PROMT for them, but such workflow will be more complicated, since PROMT doesn't have plug-ins for them.

b) Translation Management System - PROMT has MT connectors for SDL Worldserver(Idiom), SDL TMS, Globalsight. They work in the same way as plug-ins for TM tools: segments that were not found in TM are sent to PROMT.

c) SDL TMS - a translation management system developed by SDL. PROMT has an MT connector for it.

For example, is it possible to highlight a text in the TMS and Promt then automatically translates the text in a separate Promt box?
From post-editor's (human translator) perspective, there can be two approaches
- machine translation is "pre-populated" into translation field for segments that are absent to TM, post-editor just corrects already exiting machine translations (this approach requires a plug-in/connector for TMS system),
- if post-editor needs a separate dialog-box with PROMT translation, he or she can use PROMT Agent application that provides machine translation of selected text by hot-key combination (e.g. double Ctrl) in any application (including application, where translation occurs). If MT is good enough, it can be copied/pasted into translation field.

I suppose the second approach answers "yes" to your question

Ilka, I use my PROMT together with TRADOS tools. Here are my step-by-step procedures:

- Integrating SDL Trados 2007 and PROMT LSP 9.5 into a translation workflow (argonaut.spb.ru/files/Trados_2007_Promt_eng.pdf)

- Integrating SDL Trados Studio 2011 and PROMT LSP 9.5 into a translation workflow (argonaut.spb.ru/files/Trados_Studio_Promt_eng.pdf)

If you will have any questions, please ask these.

[Edited at 2015-02-06 19:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-02-06 19:09 GMT]

Ilka Nahmmacher
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 6, 2015

Thanks, Oleg, this has been very helpful.

Oleg Vigodsky
Oleg Vigodsky
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Updated links Feb 6, 2015

Ilka,

I updated URLs of my publications. If you will not be able to directly load these articles, please copy their URLs to your browser.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any experience with Linguatec?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »