How to use the Microsoft MT plug-in in memoQ now that Microsoft Translator has moved to Azure?
Thread poster: Natasha Ziada (X)
Natasha Ziada (X)
Natasha Ziada (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 20:07
English to Dutch
+ ...
May 4, 2017

I have been using the Microsoft MT plug-in in memoQ and find it one of the more accurate MT systems available. Lately, MT results for Microsoft no longer appear in the translation grid, even though the plug-in is enabled under Options. Since Microsoft Translator moved to Azure end of April this year, I no longer seem able to retrieve the Client ID + Client Secret memoQ asks for, and I am wondering if that is what has caused it to stop working.

As I was doing some research on the mat
... See more
I have been using the Microsoft MT plug-in in memoQ and find it one of the more accurate MT systems available. Lately, MT results for Microsoft no longer appear in the translation grid, even though the plug-in is enabled under Options. Since Microsoft Translator moved to Azure end of April this year, I no longer seem able to retrieve the Client ID + Client Secret memoQ asks for, and I am wondering if that is what has caused it to stop working.

As I was doing some research on the matter, I noticed someone developed a plug-in for Trados, and I was wondering if the same exists for memoQ? I haven't been able to find any information on this issue from Kilgray.

Has anyone encountered the same issue? Does anyone know how to deal with the Client ID + Client Secret no longer being available on the Azure Portal and what to use instead?
Collapse

Pat EM
Pat EM
Sweden
Local time: 11:07
Swedish to English
+ ...
I found a solution on Azure May 9, 2017

I found your post when googling for an answer to why the Microsoft MT plugin no longer seems to work. Having found out about the move to Azure, I created an account there and somehow found my way to setting up a new subscription to the Translator API. This link should take you directly to the setup ... See more
I found your post when googling for an answer to why the Microsoft MT plugin no longer seems to work. Having found out about the move to Azure, I created an account there and somehow found my way to setting up a new subscription to the Translator API. This link should take you directly to the setup page once your Azure account is active: https://portal.azure.com/#create/Microsoft.CognitiveServices/apitype/TextTranslation

I found that there are two Microsoft MT plugins in memoQ (haven't noticed that before). The one I had active had the additional "(legacy)" in the name. That one uses the Client ID and Client Secret combo. The new (?) plugin only needs a subscription key, so I entered the one I got from Azure, and now everything works again.

Hope that helps!
Collapse

Natasha Ziada (X)
Australia
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 10, 2017

I appreciate your help. I did manage to set up a subscription to the Azure Translation API (don't ask me how - that was surely one of the most incomprehensible processes I have ever encountered!). I guess we're now waiting on memoQ to update their side of things, although you seem to have found a new plug in that I don't see on my screen. I submitted a support ticket with Kilgray and am now waiting for them to get back to me.

I'm rather surprised that no-one else seems to have an is
... See more
I appreciate your help. I did manage to set up a subscription to the Azure Translation API (don't ask me how - that was surely one of the most incomprehensible processes I have ever encountered!). I guess we're now waiting on memoQ to update their side of things, although you seem to have found a new plug in that I don't see on my screen. I submitted a support ticket with Kilgray and am now waiting for them to get back to me.

I'm rather surprised that no-one else seems to have an issue with this, as I assume the Microsoft MT plug in would have stopped working for everyone. But maybe not - it's clear that I am definitely not an expert
Collapse

Aidar Bagautdinov
Aidar Bagautdinov
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:07
English to Russian
+ ...
memoQ version May 10, 2017

So you just need to install new version of memoQ, memoQ 8 has been released already. There are two Microsoft MT plugins in this new version.

[Edited at 2017-05-10 18:13 GMT]

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:07
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Both available in version 7 May 10, 2017

I'm using MemoQ 7.8.164. Both the old and new version of the plugin are in the list. The old one did stop working for me at the beginning of May, but I was able, with some contortions, to get a new Azure subscription key and make it work.

Natasha Ziada (X)
Australia
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone May 11, 2017

It seems my memoQ wasn't updating due to some Windows 10 Visual C++ issue, now it has and I do see the two Microsoft MT options. MT results still won't show up though, but I'm hopeful Kilgray support will be able to fix it.

Bhau
Bhau
India
Issue after Microsoft Azure subscription Free Trial is over Jun 7, 2017

Though I've selected the option "F0 Free" in the tab "Pricing tier" my subscription has been disabled along with Microsoft Azure subscription Free Trial.

Has anyone found the solution for this?? Would appreciate your inputs!!

Pat EM
Pat EM
Sweden
Local time: 11:07
Swedish to English
+ ...
Subscription needs to be updated to pay-as-you-go after the free trial is over Jun 13, 2017

Bhau wrote:

Though I've selected the option "F0 Free" in the tab "Pricing tier" my subscription has been disabled along with Microsoft Azure subscription Free Trial.

Has anyone found the solution for this?? Would appreciate your inputs!!

I found I had the same problem this morning due to my free trial expiring. The solution is to upgrade your subscription to "pay-as-you-go". As long as you don't use any other services, it's still free (up to 2 million characters per month for the free version). I upgraded mine now and the MT plugin started working again within minutes. I didn't have to change anything else.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:07
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
What will be the status of a segment if you use MT to translate that segment? Aug 29, 2017

As far as I know, in SDL Trados, the status of a MTed segment will be "AT", which will remain even if you have edited that segment. In a word, no matter what you have done with it, the status will forever be "AT".

What is the case with MemoQ?

[Edited at 2017-08-29 20:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-08-29 20:38 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to use the Microsoft MT plug-in in memoQ now that Microsoft Translator has moved to Azure?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »