maddalena deichmann
maddalena deichmann  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:14
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 27, 2017

Hello,
I have been asked to do a transcription from a video; does anyone have a suggestion for a respeaking software for this kind of things? I have never used one, but as I understand it you repeat what you hear in the headset and the software writes it. Otherwise doing it manually would not make this a worthwhile job - but the client is a good source of other work and I'd like to not let them down.
Oh, and I work on Mac, which is always a problem in these things...
Thanks f
... See more
Hello,
I have been asked to do a transcription from a video; does anyone have a suggestion for a respeaking software for this kind of things? I have never used one, but as I understand it you repeat what you hear in the headset and the software writes it. Otherwise doing it manually would not make this a worthwhile job - but the client is a good source of other work and I'd like to not let them down.
Oh, and I work on Mac, which is always a problem in these things...
Thanks for your help!!

[Edited at 2017-03-28 07:53 GMT]
Collapse

Alejandra Garcia Romero
Alejandra Garcia Romero  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dragon Naturally Speaking Mar 27, 2017

Hi Maddalena,

The software most used in respeaking is Dragon Naturally Speaking. You can get the most of it and work really fast if you train it well and create your own macros. Also, it is recommended to use a USB headset instead of using a jack plug. As for MacOSX, there is a version available called "Dragon for Mac", but as far as I know, English is the only language available, unlike the Windows version.

I did my dissertation on live subtitling and respeaking and th
... See more
Hi Maddalena,

The software most used in respeaking is Dragon Naturally Speaking. You can get the most of it and work really fast if you train it well and create your own macros. Also, it is recommended to use a USB headset instead of using a jack plug. As for MacOSX, there is a version available called "Dragon for Mac", but as far as I know, English is the only language available, unlike the Windows version.

I did my dissertation on live subtitling and respeaking and this was the equipment/software I used and the one recommended by my tutor.

I hope this helps.
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 06:14
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Text-to-speech Mar 27, 2017

Alejandra Garcia Romero wrote:
As for MacOSX, there is a version available called "Dragon for Mac", but as far as I know, English is the only language available, unlike the Windows version.

The latter may very well be true, but Mac users don't need DNS, because OS X/macOS comes with it's own dictation app which is very good (at least for Dutch, English, and Bahasa Indonesia - the only languages I tried), and supports more languages than DNS. And it's free.

I never used it, but a Mac also comes with "VoiceOver" that can read texts. Supported languages (more than 30) include Italian. And... it's free.

Cheers,

Hans

Alejandra Garcia Romero
Alejandra Garcia Romero  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Slower response speed Mar 28, 2017

Yes, you are right, Hans. I also use the VoiceOver, which is great and works fine for transcription tasks, but DNS has a faster response speed, something that is really important in respeaking.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 06:15
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Are you very sure? Mar 28, 2017

...but DNS has a faster response speed, something that is really important in respeaking.

Did you download Enhanced Dictation? Do you use a Mac at all? I never noticed any delay.

Also, are you sure DNS for Mac only supports English? I can hardly believe it.

Cheers,

Hans

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 06:15
English to Indonesian
+ ...
No, it doesn't Mar 28, 2017

I also use the VoiceOver, which is great and works fine for transcription tasks

VoiceOver works fine for reading text. I wonder...

H.

[Edited at 2017-03-28 10:27 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Software for respeaking

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »