Marc Rizkallah  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 19:52
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Jul 30, 2015

Hi,
I'm translating a Word file, using my client's new translation portal (Project Director). It has sent me a TXLF file, which, according to this website (http://www.wordfast.com/WFP3/PM_Using_PM_plug-in/Setting_up_filters.htm), is a Wordfast XLIFF file. When I work on it in Wordfast, it's a TXML. When I click "Save Translated File", it creates a TXLF, all
... See more
Hi,
I'm translating a Word file, using my client's new translation portal (Project Director). It has sent me a TXLF file, which, according to this website (http://www.wordfast.com/WFP3/PM_Using_PM_plug-in/Setting_up_filters.htm), is a Wordfast XLIFF file. When I work on it in Wordfast, it's a TXML. When I click "Save Translated File", it creates a TXLF, all as expected. The problem is, neither my client nor I know how to get the TXLF back into a Target Word file.
Does anybody know? The internet is surprisingly quiet about this.
Thank you,
Marc
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Wordfast Pro 4 Jul 30, 2015

Dear Marc,

TXLF is the format for Wordfast Pro 4 files. Your client needs to use Wordfast Pro 4 to convert the file back to its original format. They can join the beta group to download a version of Wordfast Pro 4: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/WFP4_beta/info

Best,

John

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Doesn't the portal convert it when you upload it? Jul 30, 2015

Marc Rizkallah wrote:
I'm translating a Word file, using my client's new translation portal (Project Director). It has sent me a TXLF file... The problem is, neither my client nor I know how to get the TXLF back into a Target Word file.

Well, the internet does have very little about Project Director (PD), that's true. But doesn't PD convert the TXLF file back to its original format when you upload it to PD? Surely that's what PD is supposed to do, right? Could it be that the client's PD server is misconfigured?

I've also noticed that WFP4 doesn't recognise TXLF files named by WFP3 with a language code. WFP3 will save sample.docx.txlf as sample.docx_AF.txlf (in my case, Afrikaans), which WFP4 will ignore, even if you delete the original sample.docx.txlf file from WFP4's folder structure.

Therefore, you have to manually remove the language code from your files before uploading it to the server (or before dropping it into the appropriate folder in WFP4). Does that do the trick? Just hope you don't get a project with 100s of files in it...

Doesn't the PD server complain when you upload it, that the file name is incorrect?

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
Project Director and TXML Jul 30, 2015

Hi all,
Project Director (PD) is part of the GlobaLink suite of products offered by Translations.com.
I explained in the following post that this format is native to that product suite and indicated when other tools also adopted this format.

Wordfast Pro 2.0 and TXML files
http://www.proz.com/post/1110371#1110371... See more
Hi all,
Project Director (PD) is part of the GlobaLink suite of products offered by Translations.com.
I explained in the following post that this format is native to that product suite and indicated when other tools also adopted this format.

Wordfast Pro 2.0 and TXML files
http://www.proz.com/post/1110371#1110371
OR
http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/130294-how_to_create_a_wordfast_pro_unclean_file.html#1110371

Jeff
Collapse

Marc Rizkallah
Austria
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still stuck . . . Jul 30, 2015

Thank you all for your replies.

Jeff and Sam, you're right, this is GlobalLink Project Director.
And John, thanks for enlightening me, TXLF is a Wordfast 4 format (but interestingly, can be read by Wordfast 3). I've now installed Wordfast 4 and can import a GLP package from Project Director.

But I'm unfamiliar with the Wordfast 4 interface -- is there any way to import my Translated TXLF into the GLP package, so I can send it back to the portal?

Sam,
... See more
Thank you all for your replies.

Jeff and Sam, you're right, this is GlobalLink Project Director.
And John, thanks for enlightening me, TXLF is a Wordfast 4 format (but interestingly, can be read by Wordfast 3). I've now installed Wordfast 4 and can import a GLP package from Project Director.

But I'm unfamiliar with the Wordfast 4 interface -- is there any way to import my Translated TXLF into the GLP package, so I can send it back to the portal?

Sam, here's the error I get when uploading the TXLF:
The following file(s) have been rejected: NAMEofFile.docx.txlf(Uploaded file does not match the selected submission. Contact the PM for assistance and make sure to work into the txml found in the translation kit.)

I swear, it has exactly the same name as the TXLF file I receive in the Batch1_en-US_Translation directory.

Thanks for your help :/
Collapse

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 12:52
Export Package Jul 30, 2015

Hi Marc,

You can export package from Project Window and get GLP file. Follow steps 1, 2, 3 in this screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/ptAL6LNG9

Thank you,

John

[Edited at 2015-07-30 16:51 GMT]

Marc Rizkallah
Austria
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved: copying/pasting TXLF headers Jul 30, 2015

So, success on two fronts. Opening the TXLF in Wordfast 4, and "Saving Translated File", I can get the translated Word file.

As for uploading to Project Director, it turns out it was complaining because the header in the TXLF I had translated didn't match the headers in the source TXLF I was downloading. All I had to was copy/paste the header (in Notepad), the whole first line, from , before

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Marc's post fixed Jul 31, 2015

As for uploading to Project Director, it turns out it was complaining because the header in the TXLF I had translated didn't match the headers in the source TXLF I was downloading. All I had to was copy/paste the header (in Notepad), the whole first line, from <?xml version="1.0" to restype="x-page" >, before <group id="paragraph-1-1".

[Edited at 2015-07-31 00:51 GMT]

Federica Duello
Federica Duello  Identity Verified
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
No problem Apr 5, 2017

Marc Rizkallah wrote:

Hi,
I'm translating a Word file, using my client's new translation portal (Project Director). It has sent me a TXLF file, which, according to this website (http://www.wordfast.com/WFP3/PM_Using_PM_plug-in/Setting_up_filters.htm), is a Wordfast XLIFF file. When I work on it in Wordfast, it's a TXML. When I click "Save Translated File", it creates a TXLF, all as expected. The problem is, neither my client nor I know how to get the TXLF back into a Target Word file.
Does anybody know? The internet is surprisingly quiet about this.
Thank you,
Marc

I don't know if somebody said it before me, but you shouldn't have any problem to upload any file on PD, as it accepts any kind of file (I work with PD too, with any kind of file); if you download a txlf.file on your device, it means it can also be uploaded back without any conversion needed on the platform.
I hope it has been useful to you. Good luck with your job!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TXLF to Word

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »