| || |
ProZ.com press releases
Go back to press releases »
XVIII World Congress of the International Federation of Translators
First Announcement and Call for Presentations
XVIII World Congress of the
International Federation of Translators
Translation and Cultural Diversity
August 4-7, 2008 Shanghai, China
Translation, as the bridge between different nations, peoples and cultures, has played an indispensable role in the development of the human civilization. In today’s world where globalization and cultural diversity go hand in hand, it’s no exaggeration to say that the world couldn’t do without translation for even a single day.
The World Congress of the International Federation of Translators (FIT), a top-notch event in the global translation community, traditionally attracts some 600~700 professional translators, interpreters, linguists, terminologists and educators as well as leading players in the industry from around the world to engage in professional exchange, global networking and business pursuits.
The XVIII FIT World Congress, to be hosted by Translators Association of China (TAC), will be the first time that this Congress is ever held in an Asian country. It will take place at the Shanghai International Convention Center, a modern five-star hotel just next to the landmark of Shanghai – the Oriental Pearl TV Tower on the bank of the beautiful Huangpu River!
Come and enjoy the rich professional programs and the great Chinese civilization in the modern era! The Beijing Olympic Games, too, start only one day later – August 8, 2008!
For more information about the Congress, please visit the Congress website at www.fit2008.org (in English, French and Chinese), or send an e-mail to [email protected]
|| CONGRESS TOPICS
- Translation and Culture
- Translation of Literature
- Translation and Languages of Limited Diffusion
- Translation Service & Translation Technology
- Teaching and Training in Translation and Interpreting
- Translation of Professional Texts
- Consecutive, Simultaneous, and Community-based Interpreting
- Terminology and Lexicology
- Professional Associations and their Administration
- Translation Studies
- Translation in Publishing
- Multimedia Translation
If you wish to organize a session that differs from the above formats, please contact the program office of the XVIII FIT World Congress Secretariat at [email protected] com, or send a fax message to 86-10-6899 0247.
- A panel (90 min) has a chairperson who co-ordinates the session and 3-4 speakers who make brief presentations (15 min each) about a given topic, which is then discussed.
- A presentation (15-30 min) is a talk that doesn’t call for audience participation.
- A poster is a short description of a specific topic displayed on a poster board. At an appointed time, authors are present to discuss their posters.
- All proposals should include the following information:
- Your name and professional association, company or employment status, or university
- Your address, telephone number, fax number and e-mail address
- The title, type and language of your presentation (in Chinese, English or French only)
- The most appropriate topic heading for your proposal
- An abstract, in Chinese, English or French, of not more than 300 words
- Abstract submission: September 30, 2007
- Notice of admission or rejection: December 30, 2007
- Full text submission: June 30, 2008
- Publication of Congress Proceedings: December 2008
Please submit your proposal preferably by e-mailing it to [email protected], or by posting it on a 3.5” floppy disc or CD-R as an RTF or Word file, together with two paper copies, to:
2008 FIT World Congress Secretariat
c/o Translators Association of China
24 Baiwanzhuang Street
Xicheng District, Beijing 100037