Hello from a new Mac user!!
Thread poster: Rob Grayson
Rob Grayson
Rob Grayson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:46
French to English
Jul 11, 2008

After being a veteran PC user for nearly 20 years, I have this week taken the plunge and switched over to Mac. I have a 20" iMac, and so far am absolutely in love with it.

Of course, as a translator relying on Windows-based CAT software, this is only possible for me through the advent of virtualisation software like Parallels and VMWare Fusion. I'm currently trialling Fusion and will probably stick with it unless I run into any major problems over the next couple of weeks. The one t
... See more
After being a veteran PC user for nearly 20 years, I have this week taken the plunge and switched over to Mac. I have a 20" iMac, and so far am absolutely in love with it.

Of course, as a translator relying on Windows-based CAT software, this is only possible for me through the advent of virtualisation software like Parallels and VMWare Fusion. I'm currently trialling Fusion and will probably stick with it unless I run into any major problems over the next couple of weeks. The one thing I still need to figure out is how to efficiently share files between my Windows virtual machine and OS X. Ideally, I'd like to be able to access all my Windows docs from OS X and vice versa, as well as doing a regular (=daily) backup of Windows docs to an external disk. (Feel free to chip in if you have any wisdom in this area!)

The only real problem I've run into so far is that I use AIT's Translation Office 3000 to manage all my admin (clients, orders, invoices, payments etc.), and they've deliberately blocked use of their application on virtual machines. So I'm having to think about a new system. (Sdee my post in the general business forum.)

In any case, I'm delighted to see that there is actually a community of translators who already use Mac. I thought I would be very much alone!

Rob
Collapse

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 22:46
English to Greek
+ ...
Welcome fellow Mac user Jul 11, 2008

Hi Rob,

I too had sworn by PCs for years, until I worked with a graphic designer (I am also a graphic designer) and I became a disciple!

I love their design, their speed and the fact that they are totally dependable.

I have a Mac Pro (desktop) and I bought a 24" Eizo monitor (immaculate!) only last week. I have had the hard drive partitioned and use Windows based CAT tools and only use the Mac partition for my graphics work.

The Mac partition
... See more
Hi Rob,

I too had sworn by PCs for years, until I worked with a graphic designer (I am also a graphic designer) and I became a disciple!

I love their design, their speed and the fact that they are totally dependable.

I have a Mac Pro (desktop) and I bought a 24" Eizo monitor (immaculate!) only last week. I have had the hard drive partitioned and use Windows based CAT tools and only use the Mac partition for my graphics work.

The Mac partition is also used by my daughter who is a professional photographer.

We certainly love it.

I hope you will enjoy using it.

Lina
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:46
German to Spanish
Shared folders Jul 11, 2008

Rob Grayson wrote:

The one thing I still need to figure out is how to efficiently share files between my Windows virtual machine and OS X. Ideally, I'd like to be able to access all my Windows docs from OS X and vice versa,
Rob

I have put Windows in a "Space in full mode" and I use only Finder for my files, you can access or use Finder from Windows -> "Shared Folders ".host". You will see it in Explorer, I don't use the "My Docs" in Windows, all my files, Mac and XP, are in Finder.

Regards

Fernando
www.lenguatik.com

[Edited at 2008-07-11 21:18]

Antti Nyrhinen
Antti Nyrhinen  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:46
English to Finnish
+ ...
Parallels and Time Machine Jul 14, 2008

As I wrote in my reply to the other thread, I use Parallels and the two things that you mention seem very easy to manage. I'm not much of an expert on partitions and shared folders and so on, but the folder where all my translation stuff goes is a folder under Documents (in the OS X environment, that is), which then shows up in the Windows virtual machine just fine as a shared folder. Can't remember what I needed to do but it certainly was very easy.

Regarding backing up, I just use
... See more
As I wrote in my reply to the other thread, I use Parallels and the two things that you mention seem very easy to manage. I'm not much of an expert on partitions and shared folders and so on, but the folder where all my translation stuff goes is a folder under Documents (in the OS X environment, that is), which then shows up in the Windows virtual machine just fine as a shared folder. Can't remember what I needed to do but it certainly was very easy.

Regarding backing up, I just use Time Machine which - as far as I know - backs up the whole system, including the windows virtual machine.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hello from a new Mac user!!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »