i don't know, but maybe it will run on a virtual pc on mac

Hans

Jean-François Pineau
Jean-François Pineau  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:01
German to French
+ ...
No! Jul 29, 2003

No (there will probably never be a mac-version).

For TM Software for the Macintosh, you have for the moment one solution: Wordfast.
- Wordfast is already used in production by many Macintosh users
www.wordfast.net
There is also a project in development called MacMem.
Further inf
... See more
No (there will probably never be a mac-version).

For TM Software for the Macintosh, you have for the moment one solution: Wordfast.
- Wordfast is already used in production by many Macintosh users
www.wordfast.net
There is also a project in development called MacMem.
Further information at
[email protected]
[email protected]
Collapse

Olav Rixen
Olav Rixen
Canada
Local time: 19:01
English to German
+ ...
Trados for Mac Jul 29, 2003

As far as I know there is no Mac version of Trados. I called them up once, and they told me they didn't have one and weren't working on one. Mind you, that was about a year ago, and things can change.

If you need a TM that works on a Mac, Wordfast would be your best bet.

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
No Jul 29, 2003

Nope.

Besides, Apple is presently in a period of complete renewal, either of software or hardware.

At the moment I use my mac for Quark and private activities only.

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
No Jul 29, 2003

http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=589

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 21:01
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Why don't you better try Wordfast? Jul 29, 2003

It does work for MAC. See: www.wordfast.net

Saludos

J. Payan

Ronnie Halpern
Ronnie Halpern  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:01
French to English
+ ...
Trados for Mac Jul 29, 2003

There is no supported version of Trados for Mac. It is possible to get Trados working on a Mac in Demo mode (without a dongle) with Windows emulation, but when you attach the dongle, which you need to operate the software, it will no longer work properly and is not supported. The following is an extract from Trados technical info, and as far as I know has not changed since version 6 was released

TRADOS 5 does not run on Apple's Mac OS operating system, or using Windows emulation sof
... See more
There is no supported version of Trados for Mac. It is possible to get Trados working on a Mac in Demo mode (without a dongle) with Windows emulation, but when you attach the dongle, which you need to operate the software, it will no longer work properly and is not supported. The following is an extract from Trados technical info, and as far as I know has not changed since version 6 was released

TRADOS 5 does not run on Apple's Mac OS operating system, or using Windows emulation software running on Apple Macintosh hardware. Support for the Apple Mac OS platform is not planned.
Collapse

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
MacAlternatives to Trados Jul 29, 2003

Wordfast having already been suggested, you may want to check out
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lantramug/
the MacUserGruoup translation list. CAT tools for mac are daily drill!

Also, I did not pay much attention and haven't been near it, but OmegaT by proZian Marc Prior runs on MacOS as well:

"OmegaT
An open-source application running on Java, and ther
... See more
Wordfast having already been suggested, you may want to check out
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lantramug/
the MacUserGruoup translation list. CAT tools for mac are daily drill!

Also, I did not pay much attention and haven't been near it, but OmegaT by proZian Marc Prior runs on MacOS as well:

"OmegaT
An open-source application running on Java, and therefore on Windows, Macintosh, and Linux. Similar to Deja Vu in philosophy. Can handle OpenOffice.org format files. Highly recommended. For more information, see the home page"
http://www.marcprior.de/OmegaT/OmegaT.html

HTH
Collapse

Stéphan Goldsmith
Stéphan Goldsmith
Local time: 22:01
English to French
+ ...
Trados is not officialy supported on Mac Jul 29, 2003

WordFast would indeed be the closest you can get to running Trados on a Mac, at a fraction of the cost.

Regarding the dongle, does anybody know if the problem could not be solved by asking Trados to provide a USB dongle instead?

Stéphan

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
OmegaT works on Mac Aug 1, 2003

Wordfast having already been mentioned, this seems to be another possibility.
I haven't tried it myself but I guess it's worth some consideration:

"OmegaT
An open-source application running on Java, and therefore on Windows, Macintosh, and Linux. Similar to Deja Vu in philosophy. Can handle OpenOffice.org format files. Highly recommended. For more information, see the home page [http://www.marcprior.de/OmegaT/OmegaT.html]"

BTW, application developed by proZ
... See more
Wordfast having already been mentioned, this seems to be another possibility.
I haven't tried it myself but I guess it's worth some consideration:

"OmegaT
An open-source application running on Java, and therefore on Windows, Macintosh, and Linux. Similar to Deja Vu in philosophy. Can handle OpenOffice.org format files. Highly recommended. For more information, see the home page [http://www.marcprior.de/OmegaT/OmegaT.html]"

BTW, application developed by proZian Marc Prior

[Edited at 2003-08-01 13:19]
Collapse

Henry Vaughan
Henry Vaughan  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trados does work with VPC Nov 17, 2004

kairosz (Mary Guerrero) wrote:

Is there a Trados version for Mac?

I have a Trados 4.5 licence with a USB dongle, and as Trados is the only thing I need my Windows PC for and as I much prefer working with a Mac I tried with VPC using Windows 2000 on My 1Gb PowerMac G4 with 1Gb of RAM and it does work quite well, slower than on the PC but very acceptable. You just have to make sure you've got the latest dongle drivers. As far as I know this is only valid for USB dongles, if you use a serial port dongle you are probably stuck unless you can get it changed by Trados.

HTH

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested by poster
François Hoareau
François Hoareau
German to French
+ ...
Does TRADOS work with the MAC? Nov 25, 2004

Maria Tokumaru wrote:

Just found this at the Trados Website:

-------------------------------------------------
Does TRADOS work with the MAC?

Answer:
Although TRADOS does not officially support Macintosh, we have had many success stories from MAC OS 10 Power PC users who are using TRADOS today! We have heard of notable success using MAC with our soft key feature in TRADOS 6.5 Freelance.

We invite you to order TRADOS and try it on your MAC OS 10 Power PC.

If you find it does not work for you, you can return it for a full refund.

We hope you will give TRADOS 6.5 Freelance a try!

-------------------------------------------------

Has anybody tried this? It sounds too good to be true!

Maria

...hi,
yes, I read this as well two days ago, and hapilly downloaded the 115MB from their website: this /can/ not work in OS X (in anything else than Windows actually), and frankly the wording is more than misleading, to say the least.

Basically you may want to pay and be willing to try, and would end up either waiting for a refund, or have to buy Virtual PC on top of it.
For me this is not exactly what I would call honest/ best practice: if their claim is right indeed, and they do have received "many success stories", then they have to know this was only using VPC...
But I will tell their representative what I think of that.

Trados does work within Virtual PC, which is of course unsuported, no matter if the emulation is running within Mac OS 9 or 10.
But this is in no way a version that could even work without an emulation, whatever the emulation might be.
Therefore, I will stick with WordFast, a nice improving solution (v. 5b is much better by the way), even if some CAT within XPress or InDesign would be great - a Mac OS X Service would be plain lovely.

And as far as software localisation is concerned, you still have AppleGlot or PowerGlot...

Cheers

ExpertTrans (X)
ExpertTrans (X)
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Trados works on Mac - with Windows of course Aug 29, 2007

I made a test today.
I installed on my Apple Mini Intel 2.0 GHz VM W....F.... - virtual machine for Windows (about 80 bucks) and then Windows XP (simple as pasulj) and Word (2000 - couldn't find Office 2003) and finally Trados 2006 with softkey license.
I only had to set the regional settings and languages in Windows and it worked perfect.
Of course I disabled the internet connection in Windows, so that I don't have to worry about the 115.000 viruses for Windows.

... See more
I made a test today.
I installed on my Apple Mini Intel 2.0 GHz VM W....F.... - virtual machine for Windows (about 80 bucks) and then Windows XP (simple as pasulj) and Word (2000 - couldn't find Office 2003) and finally Trados 2006 with softkey license.
I only had to set the regional settings and languages in Windows and it worked perfect.
Of course I disabled the internet connection in Windows, so that I don't have to worry about the 115.000 viruses for Windows.

Everything worked perfect (I translated only a few segments) and I'm very satisfied. So I can use all the good things that provides Apple and can work further with Trados.

Greetings from Slovenia at the sunny side of the Alps!

Mike

[Edited at 2007-08-29 11:24]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados for Macintosh

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »