Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 18:01
English to Swedish
+ ...
Search the forum first! Nov 14, 2006

Stéphan Goldsmith wrote:

Trados will not run natively on Mac OS X, that is a sure fact.
However, there is a work around that situation, and it is called Virtual PC.

I am currently using Trados 6.5 Freelance Edition (mind you, it has to be with the USB dongle)
Just to give an idea, I am working on a 1.25 Ghz G4 PowerBook with 1024 MB RAM, running Mac OS X (version 10.3.5) and Virtual PC 6.1.1.

The PC I created to use Trados has 512 MB of RAM and disk space that can grow up to 15GB and runs Windows 2000

One of the aspect I like in this configuration is that you can create a master PC with Trados and Office installed for example and store that PC on your hard disk (a newly created PC will be around 1.5 GB). Then, you duplicate that PC and use the copy in production. Your files can stay in your Mac file system as you can freely drag and drop them from the Mac desktop to the PC desktop and vice-versa. In case your production PC starts behaving weirdly, you can simply trash it, make a copy of your master PC and you are up and running again in no time.

So, Trados can be used on a Mac with Virtual PC, provided the following conditions are met :

- You need a copy of Trados with the USB dongle;
- You can allocate as much RAM as possible to your Virtual PC

Another option that might be worth considering is connecting to your current PC with a Mac via the Remote desktop connection and check the performance you would have that way. Personally, I have not tried it yet.

Hi Stephanie and all,

That was very good and useful info!
In general, a forum search will give you a lot of background. I made a survey about VPC and Trados back in February, and came up with many successful configurations:

http://www.proz.com/post/310282#310282

best,

Jan

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 23:01
English to Indonesian
+ ...
softkey Dec 13, 2006

how bout softkey license? can i use it on mac, with the emulator?

Jessica M
Jessica M  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
MAC vs. Windows, etc... Sep 11, 2007

I, too, am a sworn apple lover. I switched over last year and my life's never been the same.

Listen, YOU CAN run Trados on one of the newest Mac laptops, and although I'm not sure about this, perhaps on the new iMacs. I have a MacBook (which is my substitute for a PC when I need it) that I bought last year, and they come with a dual Intel processor. What does this mean? It means you can do one of the following:

A. Download a free program called Boot Camp from apple.
... See more
I, too, am a sworn apple lover. I switched over last year and my life's never been the same.

Listen, YOU CAN run Trados on one of the newest Mac laptops, and although I'm not sure about this, perhaps on the new iMacs. I have a MacBook (which is my substitute for a PC when I need it) that I bought last year, and they come with a dual Intel processor. What does this mean? It means you can do one of the following:

A. Download a free program called Boot Camp from apple.com. Boot Camp will allow you to load Windows onto your system so that at startup you can choose between Windows or MAC OSX simply by holding down the open apple key. (this is what I did).

B. Buy a program called Dual Desktops, which allows you to run Windows and MAC OSX at the SAME TIME! You can work in one and then switch to the other, and, although I don't have it I have seen it in action and it is BRILLIANT.

Keep in mind that for either of these options you will need a Windows disk (which I have from my old PC) and then the Windows versions of Office, etc. (which I also have from my old PC).

IMHO Virtual PC is a bit flimsy, and I prefer the Boot Camp method. But if it works, it works, eh?
Collapse

Stefan Budrich
Stefan Budrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
Dual Desktop = Parallels Desktop (?) Sep 11, 2007

Jessica,
what you refer to as Dual Desktop is probably Parallels Desktop?

This is what I use. Works on Macs with Intel processors - and yes, the softkey license for Trados is supported as well.

I agree with your observation re Virtual PC.

Stefan

Jessica M wrote:

B. Buy a program called Dual Desktops, which allows you to run Windows and MAC OSX at the SAME TIME! You can work in one and then switch to the other, and, although I don't have it I have seen it in action and it is BRILLIANT.

IMHO Virtual PC is a bit flimsy, and I prefer the Boot Camp method.

[Bearbeitet am 2007-09-11 09:15]

Ius Translation
Ius Translation
United States
Local time: 12:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mac with Bootcamp Feb 12, 2009

Hello All!

I've recently switched to Mac. I do use windows and of course Trados with bootcamp. It works beautifully!

Cheers!

Romina:)

Vincent Lemma
Vincent Lemma  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Trados on a Windows Emulator for Mac Feb 26, 2009

Hello all,

Been in translations for a while, and I dilly-dally between Mac and PC - the first being my
preferred. I would like to use Trados on my MAC with Windows Parallel, does it function?

I have heard various stories. I'd be working with Trados 7.

In alternative, what about WordFast for MAC, can it do everything that Trados does, and handle all
Trados related file formats?

Thanks for all the help, truly appreciate it.

... See more
Hello all,

Been in translations for a while, and I dilly-dally between Mac and PC - the first being my
preferred. I would like to use Trados on my MAC with Windows Parallel, does it function?

I have heard various stories. I'd be working with Trados 7.

In alternative, what about WordFast for MAC, can it do everything that Trados does, and handle all
Trados related file formats?

Thanks for all the help, truly appreciate it.

Vincent
Collapse

Emma Gledhill
Emma Gledhill
Switzerland
German to English
+ ...
Yes Apr 3, 2009

It most certainly does. Parallels Desktop is a very smooth bit of kit

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS on a Mac, does it work?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »