Thread poster: Mauro Cristuib-Grizzi
Mauro Cristuib-Grizzi
Mauro Cristuib-Grizzi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:04
English to Italian
Dec 26, 2009

Hello everyone!
For an upcoming translation project, I'm looking for an English>Italian glossary for the Mac UI (User Interface). Anyway, it must be readable by a Windows PC as I don't own a Mac system. Also an outdated release should be fine.
Any info on where to find such glossary will be much appreciated!
TIA and happy holidays!
Mauro

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Glossary or TM Dec 27, 2009

Which?

Knowing Apple, I'd imagine that the chances of a TM with the UI software strings being published for free are slim to none.
A glossary may just be available, but I never came across it. Obviously, it wouldn't be called a "UI glossary". You could call it an OSX glossary or a mac glossary.

Edit: googled it out of curiosity, see this:

... See more
Which?

Knowing Apple, I'd imagine that the chances of a TM with the UI software strings being published for free are slim to none.
A glossary may just be available, but I never came across it. Obviously, it wouldn't be called a "UI glossary". You could call it an OSX glossary or a mac glossary.

Edit: googled it out of curiosity, see this:

http://www.proz.com/forum/italian/153436-glossario_apple_macintosh.html

and this:

http://developer.apple.com/internationalization/download/

They seem to be as confused as you are because they say the glossary contains "The newest translations of strings from Mac OS X"... it's either not a glossary or it contains no software strings. I guess you'll have to open it to see which it is.

In a bizarre turn of events, you may actually need a mac to be able to open this pile of sh.. shining treasure.
Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Apple FTP Dec 27, 2009

The glossary is here: ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Tool_Chest/Localization_Tools/Mac_OS_X_Glossaries/T-Italian.dmg but you'll need a Mac or someone with a Mac to open the DMG package and extract the files. I'd like to help but I don't have one.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
I can possibly help... Dec 27, 2009

converting the file(s) to a Windows-compatible format - just ask if needed.

Edited to add: all files have the extension .ad and I managed to open them with TextEdit (the Mac equivalent of MS Notepad), so there should be no problem as per this aspect.

Nevertheless, I can send you the unpacked DMG if needed.

[Edited at 2009-12-27 09:55 GMT]

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
What it is... Dec 27, 2009

FarkasAndras wrote:

In a bizarre turn of events, you may actually need a mac to be able to open this pile of sh.. shining treasure.

Something like this:

NSButton (Magnification: ) : (oid:364)

Magnification:
Ingrandimento:

Not better and not worse than any other strings I have seen in Mac localization. The "tags" are of course hidden in the example above, which makes me think the files also could be opened as HTML (?).

[Edited at 2009-12-27 11:14 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not the strings Dec 27, 2009

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:

Something like this:

NSButton (Magnification: ) : (oid:364)

Magnification:
Ingrandimento:

Not better and not worse than any other strings I have seen in Mac localization. The "tags" are of course hidden in the example above, which makes me think the files also could be opened as HTML (?).

[Edited at 2009-12-27 11:14 GMT]

I meant the format, not the content.
The files don't open correctly in Notepad or any word processor so they are not something plain like a UTF-8 txt. Of course Apple disclosed no info on whatever the hell they are... They are definitely not HTML, the tags look more like XML to me.

I think the easiest solution would be to open it with that mac text editor and save as UTF-8 txt like Apple should have done in the first place. Then Mauro could open it with whatever software he pleases in whatever OS he prefers.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
XML indeed, encoded in UTF-8... Dec 27, 2009

FarkasAndras wrote:
I meant the format, not the content.
The files don't open correctly in Notepad or any word processor so they are not something plain like a UTF-8 txt. Of course Apple disclosed no info on whatever the hell they are... They are definitely not HTML, the tags look more like XML to me.

I think the easiest solution would be to open it with that mac text editor and save as UTF-8 txt like Apple should have done in the first place. Then Mauro could open it with whatever software he pleases in whatever OS he prefers.

and opening in Notepad as I assumed before:

BTW, it is possible to change the Apple .ad extension directly to .XML by selecting "Save as..." in Notepad instead of saving them as .TXT. The files can then be read e.g. in Internet Explorer.

[Edited at 2009-12-27 15:05 GMT]

Mauro Cristuib-Grizzi
Mauro Cristuib-Grizzi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 28, 2009

Thank you all (and Laurent in particular) for your help!

Mauro

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Odd Dec 28, 2009

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

UTF-8

Perhaps my file got corrupted when I downloaded it, because it definitely did not open correctly. Strange, but it doesn't really matter for me. Those who really need this stuff can use it then, after all.
By the way, the extension doesn't matter at all as long as you open the file with the right application.

Mette Melchior
Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Danish
+ ...
You can extract the .ad files and search them with Xbench Apr 11, 2010

I know this is a couple of months late, but since I was just looking for a way to be able to use these glossaries myself, I thought I would post the solution I found.

The .ad files can be extracted from the Apple image file (.dmg) using e.g. PowerISO, and then they can be loaded into Xbench for easy reference.

You can dow
... See more
I know this is a couple of months late, but since I was just looking for a way to be able to use these glossaries myself, I thought I would post the solution I found.

The .ad files can be extracted from the Apple image file (.dmg) using e.g. PowerISO, and then they can be loaded into Xbench for easy reference.

You can download Xbench here: http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html

Since I discovered it and learned how to use it, Xbench has been my favourite tool for terminology search and QA, and I strongly recommend you to check it out if you don't know it already. I have been using it for the last three years but hadn't looked into how to use the Mac glossaries until now. It was actually included in the user guide how to obtain and use the glossaries.

Best regards,

Mette

[Edited at 2010-04-11 10:05 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:04
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
HFSExplorer Oct 23, 2010

A simpler way of extracting Mac .DMG files on a PC, for free, is to use:

HFSExplorer by Erik Larsson

http://hem.bredband.net/catacombae/hfsx.html

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English>Italian glossary for the Mac UI needed

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »