Thread poster: PGulina
PGulina
PGulina  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:59
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 14, 2010

Hi,

I recently bought a Mac but have not been able to find any grammar checking software that works for Russian Grammar checking. WOuld love to hear recommendations or any advice

I'm using Snow Leopars which has some built in functionality for spelling & grammar but that doesn't appear to do anything!

Thanks!
Polina

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:59
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
a Mac bought where? Feb 14, 2010

There might be a few factors, PGulina:

- You did not enable Russian language at all, from the menu Preferences - International. This menu, however, concerns, keyboard layout mostly***. But this is not your case, since you did enable Russian layout, right?

- your Mac, being made for western market, does not have Russian features.

***You might install a CocoAspell for Mac, which follows directly the inner dict
... See more
There might be a few factors, PGulina:

- You did not enable Russian language at all, from the menu Preferences - International. This menu, however, concerns, keyboard layout mostly***. But this is not your case, since you did enable Russian layout, right?

- your Mac, being made for western market, does not have Russian features.

***You might install a CocoAspell for Mac, which follows directly the inner dictionary configuration in Mac OS. http://people.ict.usc.edu/~leuski/cocoaspell/home.html . Follow the instruction about install. Later on, you will find the CocoAspell icon in Preferences menu. Configure Russian there. The utility of it is in its system-wide application, in various text or word editors.

- As for dictionaries on the text editor level, for MS Office or OpenOffice or NeoOffice, those might be much more useful for you. You should examine whether there is a Russian single pack for Ms Office for Mac. Another solution, freeware, i.e. opensourced is OpenOffice or NeOffice and its free dictionaries for Russian and other languages. After installing these opensource suites, you will find out that they rely on CocoAspell as well, besides the dictionaries specially assigned on OpenOffice web site.

In my case, I use both categories of dictionaries in Mac: on system level through CocoAspell, and by means of OpenOffice suite.

Dragomir

PGulina wrote:

Hi,

I recently bought a Mac but have not been able to find any grammar checking software that works for Russian Grammar checking. WOuld love to hear recommendations or any advice

I'm using Snow Leopars which has some built in functionality for spelling & grammar but that doesn't appear to do anything!

Thanks!
Polina
Collapse

PGulina
PGulina  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:59
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 14, 2010

We have enabled russian - I can type in russian and hte spellcheck works for some apps but not all. Its the grammar check which I need working and that doesn't appear unfortunately

Will try out your recommendations. Thanks!
Polina

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:59
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
just spelling check, not grammar Feb 14, 2010

I don't know really the situation with Russian OpenOffice module; i.e. whether it does offer grammar check as well. Some of the modules are capable of doing it.
But, of course, if you use MS Office for Mac, a search for a language pack is worth trying, it should be available.

Best regards, Dragomir

PGulina wrote:

We have enabled russian - I can type in russian and hte spellcheck works for some apps but not all. Its the grammar check which I need working and that doesn't appear unfortunately

Will try out your recommendations. Thanks!
Polina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Russian Grammar Checking Software for MacOS

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »