Convert MAC documet to Word
Thread poster: Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:53
English to Spanish
Mar 25, 2010

I received a document prepared on a Mac (please excuse my lack of terminology). This has never happened before and it will probably never happen again. It is not a job but a paper drafted by my daughter as part of her application for a study program. I need to proofread it but first I need to convert it to Microsoft Word (2003 or 2007). The file is sitting in my Inbox as I am not even able to save it to my computer; it just tells me that the file extension is not known.

I would app
... See more
I received a document prepared on a Mac (please excuse my lack of terminology). This has never happened before and it will probably never happen again. It is not a job but a paper drafted by my daughter as part of her application for a study program. I need to proofread it but first I need to convert it to Microsoft Word (2003 or 2007). The file is sitting in my Inbox as I am not even able to save it to my computer; it just tells me that the file extension is not known.

I would appreciate it very much if some colleague with a Mac and the appropriate conversion tool can lend me a hand and convert it for me.
Collapse

Darío Giménez
Darío Giménez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
What's the extension? Mar 25, 2010

Hola, Luisa.

Envíamelo a ver qué tipo de archivo es, si quieres. Y te digo si lo puedo convertir.

D.

Jennifer Barnett
Jennifer Barnett  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
try adding .doc Mar 25, 2010

Try adding .doc to the name of the file. With any luck, you will have then labelled it with the correct file extension. If that doesn't work, try .txt

This has worked for me.

Good luck!

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Addind a file extension Mar 25, 2010

Jennifer Barnett wrote:

Try adding .doc to the name of the file. With any luck, you will have then labelled it with the correct file extension. If that doesn't work, try .txt

This has worked for me.

Good luck!

Thanks Jennifer. I saved it as a .doc but then I was not able to open it. It says that it cannot run the converter, and I have no way of installing it (at least not at the computer where I am right now). I also saved it as a .txt but to no avail either.

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Ya Darío Mar 25, 2010

Darío wrote:

Hola, Luisa.

Envíamelo a ver qué tipo de archivo es, si quieres. Y te digo si lo puedo convertir.

D.

Te contesté pidiéndote un email para poder darle reenvío porque como no puedo hacerle Save... necesito hacerlo desde mi correo.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Empty post Mar 25, 2010

Moderator: please remove

[Edited at 2010-03-25 11:49 GMT]

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
@Laurent Mar 25, 2010

Would you be able to try if Dario is unable to convert it?

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Empty file Mar 25, 2010

Darío informed me that the document is empty.

Thanks for trying to help (especially Darío) and please disregard this request.

Gabriel Francesch (X)
Gabriel Francesch (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Pages ? Mar 25, 2010

Could it be a Pages (iWork) document ?

I can convert it for you in a second if you send it over

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Don't know Mar 25, 2010

Gabriel Francesch wrote:

Could it be a Pages (iWork) document ?

I can convert it for you in a second if you send it over

Thanks.

I just sent you a message. I must have a forwarding email address because it is sitting in my Inbox.

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
@Gabriel Mar 25, 2010

Thanks for trying, Gabriel. I appreciate it the same.

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
.rtf Mar 25, 2010

Hello Luisa,
If all else fails, tell your daughter to save the file as an .rtf file ("Rich Text File"; that's a format she should have available regardless of the application she's using on her Mac), and to make sure to add the extension to the file name. Then your PC should have no problems opening it in Word.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:53
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Mac document? Mar 25, 2010

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I'm a Mac user, and I use Word for Mac on my machine, which means anyone can open the documents I create, whether they use Mac or PC. What is the file extension?

Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:53
Danish to English
Mac's word processor Mar 25, 2010

The usual word processing program on a Mac is Pages. It is an excellant word processing program, but you cannot open the Pages files on a PC. But, in Pages, you can easily export the pages document as a doc. file. Also, Pages will open any doc. file.
However, a heavilly formatted document in Pages, when exported to a doc. file, can lose some of the formatting. I love my Macbook, but have lost the fight against the Microsoft world. I installed Office for Mac, and it runs really well. I only
... See more
The usual word processing program on a Mac is Pages. It is an excellant word processing program, but you cannot open the Pages files on a PC. But, in Pages, you can easily export the pages document as a doc. file. Also, Pages will open any doc. file.
However, a heavilly formatted document in Pages, when exported to a doc. file, can lose some of the formatting. I love my Macbook, but have lost the fight against the Microsoft world. I installed Office for Mac, and it runs really well. I only wanted Word, but had to buy the entire suite.
Pages will also export to PDF with no problem. My Macbook has Snowleopard 10.6 OS, and it is a Roll Royce in comparison to the PC,s I have used.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Convert MAC documet to Word

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »