Viewing and editing MS Word-created tracked changes on Mac: best application?
Thread poster: awilliams
awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:20
Italian to English
+ ...
Jun 17, 2010

Morning all.

I've just moved to Mac and am running NeoOffice as my office suite. Overall I'm more than happy with it. However, I do a fair amount of work involving the tracked changes function in MS Word and the results haven't been great in terms of tracked changes compatibility between MS Word and NeoOffice. Changes don't show, text is half missing, that sort of thing. Not doable. I've searched around for a solution within NeoOffice but no joy; I think I may be asking too much her
... See more
Morning all.

I've just moved to Mac and am running NeoOffice as my office suite. Overall I'm more than happy with it. However, I do a fair amount of work involving the tracked changes function in MS Word and the results haven't been great in terms of tracked changes compatibility between MS Word and NeoOffice. Changes don't show, text is half missing, that sort of thing. Not doable. I've searched around for a solution within NeoOffice but no joy; I think I may be asking too much here. So at the moment I'm trialling MS Office for Mac 2008 (which has worked a treat on the tracked changes), but to be honest it was never my intention to buy MS Office for Mac.

I've heard good things about the iWork suite, but not from hardcore professionals using tracked changes, so I would be interested to know whether in practice iWork Pages is fully compatible with the MS Word tracked changes feature.

I have MS Office for Windows 2003 Small Business Edition and Windows XP but I'm really not keen on partitioning my Mac's hard drive and running Office there, although I guess I could look into a virtualisation app. I'd rather find a non-MS way around it if I can.

Can anyone suggest an application I haven't thought of that would handle tracked changes? I'd be very grateful for any thoughts.

Cheers,
Amy

[Edited at 2010-06-17 10:08 GMT]
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:20
German to Spanish
I don't think is possible Jun 17, 2010

.doc is not DIN compliant. You will have always problems trying to use all the functions of Word with another application (in fact you will have problems with Word also in Word ).

Best (only?) way: VMware Fusion (or VirtualBox, Parallels) + Windows + Word.

I use XP, maybe Windows 7 would be to heavy and just for Word, you don't need it. For the rest Snow Leopard.

Virtualization runs like silk.
... See more
.doc is not DIN compliant. You will have always problems trying to use all the functions of Word with another application (in fact you will have problems with Word also in Word ).

Best (only?) way: VMware Fusion (or VirtualBox, Parallels) + Windows + Word.

I use XP, maybe Windows 7 would be to heavy and just for Word, you don't need it. For the rest Snow Leopard.

Virtualization runs like silk.

Regards
Collapse

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jun 17, 2010

Thanks, Fernando.

Looks like I should definitely explore virtualisation. My worry with running my old MS Office for Windows 2003 is that natively it doesn't support the .docx format, which my clients are using more and more often (there is a .docx plugin, I hope that would be OK on the Mac?), and some other features in Office 2007. I guess I just feel that the software is ageing, and I had constant crashing problems with Word on my PC (usually Outlook-related, mind). For tracked cha
... See more
Thanks, Fernando.

Looks like I should definitely explore virtualisation. My worry with running my old MS Office for Windows 2003 is that natively it doesn't support the .docx format, which my clients are using more and more often (there is a .docx plugin, I hope that would be OK on the Mac?), and some other features in Office 2007. I guess I just feel that the software is ageing, and I had constant crashing problems with Word on my PC (usually Outlook-related, mind). For tracked changes, though, it could be a mighty fine solution.

[Edited at 2010-06-17 10:46 GMT]
Collapse

Nikolaj Widenmann
Nikolaj Widenmann
United States
Local time: 23:20
Member (2007)
Danish to English
+ ...
I use Word 2008 for Mac and VM Fusion to use Word 2007 Jun 17, 2010

I, too, just switched to Mac. I haven't had to use track changes since the switch, although I noticed that Word 2008 for Mac does have the function. One thing I noticed is that when filling out forms, Word for Mac does a poor job with check boxes. If you have checked a box on a form and then unprotect the document (to write something outside the form fields), then protect the document again, all the check marks disappear!.

Eventually I just installed my MS Office 2007 on the Windows
... See more
I, too, just switched to Mac. I haven't had to use track changes since the switch, although I noticed that Word 2008 for Mac does have the function. One thing I noticed is that when filling out forms, Word for Mac does a poor job with check boxes. If you have checked a box on a form and then unprotect the document (to write something outside the form fields), then protect the document again, all the check marks disappear!.

Eventually I just installed my MS Office 2007 on the Windows 7 side (via VMFusion), and that seems to work just fine, though of course it was not the solution I was hoping for. I initially installed Windows to be able to use Trados Suite 2009, and that seems to work fine, too. In fact, Windows 7 seems to start up and shut down a lot faster on my Mac than on my PC!

As for iWorks, I downloaded the trial version, but it won't open Word files that are password protected. So much for that.

- Nikolaj Widenmann
Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
MS Word 2008 as well Jun 17, 2010

For working "straight out of the box". Old copy of MS Word 2000 via WM Fusion in order to use some programs I still need.

I'll email you an idea about the most cost-efficient way I've found of purchasing MS Office 2008.

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Viewing and editing MS Word-created tracked changes on Mac: best application? Jun 18, 2010

Thank you, Madeleine and Nikolaj. Just to confirm, last night I opened an MS Word for Windows file with tracked changes in a friend's iWork suite and the results were the same as in NeoOffice - no good.

Have a nice day,
Amy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Viewing and editing MS Word-created tracked changes on Mac: best application?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »