Susanne Kress  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:43
Member (2010)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Oct 7, 2010

Hello everyone,
I am about to start my "career" as a freelancer, I have got my brandnew iMac (Snow Leopard), Parallels, Windows XP, Trados 2009 SP3, and Open Office 3.2 for Windows. Do I necessarily have to buy MS Office 2010 (or get 2007 anywhere else) to make Trados work, or is Open Office enough.
I would really appreciate any help in this matter.
Thanks for all comments.

Susanne Kress

Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
none of them is needed to work with Studio Oct 8, 2010

Hi Susanne,

If you are actually speaking about Trados Studio, this is a standalone app, meaning you do not need to have any office suite installed.
Studio will be able to deal with Office documents (.doc, .docx etc.) and generate target texts in the same format regardless of whether Office is installed or not on your computer.

The only drawback if you do not have MS Office 2007 / 2010, as far as I know, is that you won't be able to use the review/real-preview fe
... See more
Hi Susanne,

If you are actually speaking about Trados Studio, this is a standalone app, meaning you do not need to have any office suite installed.
Studio will be able to deal with Office documents (.doc, .docx etc.) and generate target texts in the same format regardless of whether Office is installed or not on your computer.

The only drawback if you do not have MS Office 2007 / 2010, as far as I know, is that you won't be able to use the review/real-preview feature of Trados.
You may wish to download a trial version of Office and see if you really need that feature.

That said and leaving Trados aside, I would recommend you to have at least one Office suite installed (even an old one, and regardless of the OS). As far as I know the compatibility between Open Office and MS Office is not always perfect (especially in terms of formatting). This issue has been addressed several times here in ProZ fora.

Hope it helps,

Aude

[Edited at 2010-10-08 00:24 GMT]
Collapse

Wojciech Strzalkowski
Wojciech Strzalkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
It depends.... Oct 8, 2010

If you want to use Workbench then you will need Ms Office. Workbench does not work with Open Office at all. If you're going to use Studio then you won't need either of those.

On a personal note, as a Mac user myself, I can't believe there still isn't an OS X version of Trados. That'd finally free me from Windows for good.

Susanne Kress
Susanne Kress  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ... Oct 8, 2010

to both of you!

I'll try what you propose, Aude, to make everything work perfectly. For the moment I am relieved to be able to start to work with Trados with the programmes I have.

And Wojciech, I am perfectly with you, if it were not for programmes like Trados, who would still work with Windows...?

Thank you again and all the best

Susanne

Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
- Oct 8, 2010

If you want to use Workbench then you will need Ms Office. Workbench does not work with Open Office at all. If you're going to use Studio then you won't need either of those.

Yes, you are totally correct, that's why I expressly mentioned Studio. Workbench is part of the 2007 suite if I am not mistaken (and indeed it does come with Studio when you get a licence for Studio).

On a personal note, as a Mac user myself, I can't believe there still isn't an OS X version of Trados. That'd finally free me from Windows for good.

Fully agree!!
The issue was discussed several times, in particular, on Trados' website (translationzone). Can't understand why Trados remains limited to Windows while a number of other CATs, issued by much smaller editors, offer a Mac/multi-OS version (I'm thinking about Wordfast in particular).

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
A late answer and a possible reason Jan 3, 2011

Aude Sylvain wrote:
Fully agree!!
The issue was discussed several times, in particular, on Trados' website (translationzone). Can't understand why Trados remains limited to Windows while a number of other CATs, issued by much smaller editors, offer a Mac/multi-OS version (I'm thinking about Wordfast in particular).

Some times ago, I was given to understand that there are some rather strong connections between Redmond, WA and Maidenhead, Berkshire.

A long, long road away from 1 Infinite Loop.

------------

PS:
As a former SDL Trados user, I'd like to mention that "Translator's Workbench" is the designation for the translation memory AFAIK. Am I wrong?

In Trados 2007, you can work on OpenOffice formats through TagEditor.

Of course, the MS Word macros are thought to work within the Microsoft interface only.

[Modifié le 2011-01-03 20:36 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do I need MS Office for working with Trados 2009 or can I use Open Office

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »