Survey on the demand of a Mac OS X native CAT-Tool
Thread poster: wordcrafts
wordcrafts
wordcrafts
Germany
Local time: 16:34
Jan 6, 2011

Hi everybody,

a good friend of mine is Mac application developer and quite interested in language technology. During a chat we had the idea to check whether translators working on a Mac would be interested in a Mac native CAT-tool (replacing those Java based apps). Therefore we have set up a short initial survey to check the demand.

We would be very thankful if you took part in this survey and answer those questions faithfully. It only takes a couple of minutes of your
... See more
Hi everybody,

a good friend of mine is Mac application developer and quite interested in language technology. During a chat we had the idea to check whether translators working on a Mac would be interested in a Mac native CAT-tool (replacing those Java based apps). Therefore we have set up a short initial survey to check the demand.

We would be very thankful if you took part in this survey and answer those questions faithfully. It only takes a couple of minutes of your time and we do not gather any personal information.

The survey will end latest 15 February and if you are interested in the results, please let me know via this Group and I will send you a report.

Thanks all of you for your help in this.

Here's the link:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YTWL8DP

Cheers
Olli
Collapse

wordcrafts
wordcrafts
Germany
TOPIC STARTER
Survey reopened Jan 9, 2011

Hi everybody,

if anybody wanted to do the survey and found it closed, please apologize. This was a mistake from my side. I have reopened the survey again. Please feel free to finish it using this link:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YTWL8DP

Thanks a lot and sorry for any inconvenience.
Olli

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Glitch Jan 9, 2011

I tried to complete the survey, but that's not possible if you're currently not using any CAT tool, as the survey keeps prompting you to rate the features of the CAT tool you're currently using, even though you've already indicated that you're not using any. I can't rate anything I don't know...

[Edited at 2011-01-09 21:58 GMT]

wordcrafts
wordcrafts
Germany
TOPIC STARTER
Please use "Can't say" Jan 10, 2011

Hi, thanks for getting back to me on this. You can simply use the "Can't say" option on the question regarding your current CAT-tool, or, if you worked with a CAT-tool in the past, you may want to rate this.

Thanks
Olli

Petar Zivanic
Petar Zivanic  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
A port perchance? Apr 1, 2011

wordcrafts wrote:

Hi, thanks for getting back to me on this. You can simply use the "Can't say" option on the question regarding your current CAT-tool, or, if you worked with a CAT-tool in the past, you may want to rate this.

Thanks
Olli

I have just stumbled upon this topic and would very much like to see (and pay for ) a high quality native Mac CAT tool. My current CAT of choice is Windows .Net-based app MemoQ which I run under Parallels desktop on my MacBook Pro and perhaps instead of reinventing the wheel, your friend could port a comprehensive environment like this one to Mac, using Mono? Since Kilgray, the makers of MemoQ, are not a big enterprise, they might be interested in an idea like this one. But if you feel you could make a good CAT tool for Mac on your own, by all means do so.

Best, Petar

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
if not Omegat (open and free), then Swordfish? Apr 2, 2011

If not Omegat (open and free), why not Swordfish?

both are decent.

Petar Zivanic wrote:
I have just stumbled upon this topic and would very much like to see (and pay for ) a high quality native Mac CAT tool.
Best, Petar

[Edited at 2011-04-02 15:41 GMT]

Petar Zivanic
Petar Zivanic  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Not really native, are they? Apr 17, 2011

Dragomir Kovacevic wrote:

If not Omegat (open and free), why not Swordfish?

both are decent.

Petar Zivanic wrote:
I have just stumbled upon this topic and would very much like to see (and pay for ) a high quality native Mac CAT tool.
Best, Petar

[Edited at 2011-04-02 15:41 GMT]

And there's Wordfast Pro, too, but all are Java-based, which makes them a bit sluggish and not that integrated in the environment. I'd like to see a native CAT in the literal sense of the word, which would use the resources already available in Mac OS X.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Survey on the demand of a Mac OS X native CAT-Tool

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »