Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:04
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 3, 2011

Hi everybody,
Some days ago I contacted the Babylon support to know if there was a version of their software that worked both on a MAC OS and on Windows OS. They replied that they had the solution for me that worked well on both operating systems: Babylon v3 parallel.
So, I bought Babylon v3 parallel for using it both on my mac and on Windows through a virtual machine (parralells).
After having installed it I had an unhappy surprise: both in office 2010 and in Firefox 3.6, th
... See more
Hi everybody,
Some days ago I contacted the Babylon support to know if there was a version of their software that worked both on a MAC OS and on Windows OS. They replied that they had the solution for me that worked well on both operating systems: Babylon v3 parallel.
So, I bought Babylon v3 parallel for using it both on my mac and on Windows through a virtual machine (parralells).
After having installed it I had an unhappy surprise: both in office 2010 and in Firefox 3.6, the shortcuts for activating babylon don't work!
I read carefully all the faqs and the instructions, but there was no mention of such a problem, absolutely nothing.
After having contacted their support they answered me the following:

"Dear Bruno,
Thank you for taking the time to write us.
Babylon for MAC will work only with Open Office, Safari 4/5 and Firefox 3.x.
Please accept my apology for any inconvenience."

So, Babylon is useless on a MAC!!
Don't do the same mistake I did: don't buy it.

Bruno
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Fixable? Jun 3, 2011

Never trust Mac support info given by a Windows-centered developer.
I have no Babylon experience, but I'm fairly sure that this problem is fixable.
After all, a complete Windows environment is emulated in software.

If this is about a keyboard shortcut that doesn't work as expected, there are various keyboard remapping solutions that let you customize how the raw keyboard codes are handled.

Make sure the shortcut isn't "swallowed" by the MacOS - have a look a
... See more

If this is about a keyboard shortcut that doesn't work as expected, there are various keyboard remapping solutions that let you customize how the raw keyboard codes are handled.

Make sure the shortcut isn't "swallowed" by the MacOS - have a look at the "Keyboard & Mouse" section of the Parallels software.

If the Babylon shortcut is customizable, try changing it into something else.

If all else fails, you can use BootCamp, make a Windows partition of your hard drive and start the Mac as an actual Windows PC (no emulation).
Collapse

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't think so.. Jun 3, 2011

Joakim Braun wrote:

Make sure the shortcut isn't "swallowed" by the MacOS - have a look at the "Keyboard & Mouse" section of the Parallels software.

If the Babylon shortcut is customizable, try changing it into something else.

If all else fails, you can use BootCamp, make a Windows partition of your hard drive and start the Mac as an actual Windows PC (no emulation).

Hi Joakim,
thanks for your reply.
Actually, the softwares provided with Babylon mac v3 parallel are two: one for mac and one for windows.
That for windows works fine, it is that for Mac that doesn't work on essential softwares such as microsoft word or Firefox.
So, if one wants to use Babylon, there is no point in Buying this expensive version for mac: it is sufficient to buy that for windows.
Bruno

Joakim Braun
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Don't give up quite yet Jun 3, 2011

Well, the error description was "the shortcuts for activating babylon don't work".
If that's the extent of the problem, and Babylon is a stand-alone application (and not, say, a browser plugin), this can probably be solved.

Have you checked that the activation shortcut isn't used by the system, Word or Firefox?
Have you tried changing the shortcut?

I'm a Mac developer myself and making a global shortcut work isn't rocket science. If Babylon has any Mac compe
... See more
Well, the error description was "the shortcuts for activating babylon don't work".
If that's the extent of the problem, and Babylon is a stand-alone application (and not, say, a browser plugin), this can probably be solved.

Have you checked that the activation shortcut isn't used by the system, Word or Firefox?

I'm a Mac developer myself and making a global shortcut work isn't rocket science. If Babylon has any Mac competence at all they should get this right.
Collapse

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:-) Jun 3, 2011

Joakim Braun wrote:

I'm a Mac developer myself and making a global shortcut work isn't rocket science. If Babylon has any Mac competence at all they should get this right.

Dear Joakim,
thank you very much for your help.
I have tried changing the shortcuts, with no result.
I think they should absolutely not sell products with such enormous shortcomings...
I'll keep you informed in case the reply to my concern..but I think they won't..

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No solution from Babylon Jun 3, 2011

Dear Joakim,
they have said there is no solution to this problem. This is the page where they stated it:

http://support.babylon.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=123&nav=0

Bruno

Joakim Braun
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
System service shortcut? Jun 4, 2011

Nope, doesn't say anything about it in that link.

One idea: possibly Babylon is provided as something called a "system service" in MacOS. That means you get a Babylon submenu in all applications' "Services" menu. This is actually how a service like Babylon's is supposed to be implemented.

However, the shortcut for the system service is defined by the application that provides it. So shortcuts may overlap between different services, or the provided shortcuts may be "ille
... See more
Nope, doesn't say anything about it in that link.

One idea: possibly Babylon is provided as something called a "system service" in MacOS. That means you get a Babylon submenu in all applications' "Services" menu. This is actually how a service like Babylon's is supposed to be implemented.

However, the shortcut for the system service is defined by the application that provides it. So shortcuts may overlap between different services, or the provided shortcuts may be "illegal" and not work for that reason.

Have a look at the "Services" menu in any application and see if Babylon shows up there and what the shortcut is.
Collapse

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Babylon for mac: a joke Jun 5, 2011

Dear Joakim,
yes, you are right: using a shortcut (only in Safari), there opens a submenu from which I can open Babylon, but the problem now is that this application doesn't translate any more, even if I paste or type in the words.
I think this version of Babylon is worse than I thought.
I have had to remove and reinstall it 4 times: I have installed some dictionaries from the babylon site, and now it doesn't work any more.
I don't know what the problem is, but I have a
... See more
Dear Joakim,
yes, you are right: using a shortcut (only in Safari), there opens a submenu from which I can open Babylon, but the problem now is that this application doesn't translate any more, even if I paste or type in the words.
I think this version of Babylon is worse than I thought.
I have had to remove and reinstall it 4 times: I have installed some dictionaries from the babylon site, and now it doesn't work any more.
I don't know what the problem is, but I have already asked for a refund because it is completely useless.
Thanks a lot for your help.
Bruno
Collapse

Babylon Support
Babylon Support
Local time: 21:04
Babylon for Mac Parallel Jul 13, 2011

Dear Bruno

My name is Joel and I am Babylon's Technical Support Team Leader. This is in conjunction to your inquiry regarding your case.

Babylon for Mac Parallel contains Babylon for Mac and Babylon for Windows. No doubt that Babylon for Windows is more sophisticated and works on more applications than Babylon for Mac does.

Mentioning Office 2010, I guess that you are talking about Microsoft Office for Windows 2010. I am glad to tell you, that version 9 of
... See more
Dear Bruno

My name is Joel and I am Babylon's Technical Support Team Leader. This is in conjunction to your inquiry regarding your case.

Babylon for Mac Parallel contains Babylon for Mac and Babylon for Windows. No doubt that Babylon for Windows is more sophisticated and works on more applications than Babylon for Mac does.

Mentioning Office 2010, I guess that you are talking about Microsoft Office for Windows 2010. I am glad to tell you, that version 9 of Babylon works on both, Office 2010 and Firefox 3.5 (32bit and 64bit) perfectly. On newer versions of Firefox (like v4 and v5) not yet, but there will be an update in a couple of days. The latest version for Windows you always will be able to download from this link:http://www.babylon.com/redirects/download.cgi?type=100.

As a Mac user you probably use the Mac system for 80% of your work. Also the Mac version supports Firefox (version does not matter), Safari, and Oracles OpenOffice. Unfortunately the click does not yet pick words of Microsoft Office documents. Surely we are working on this issue, too.

If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to write to [email protected].

kind regards
Collapse

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Marketing campaign instead of customer assistance: Babylon Jul 13, 2011

Dear Babylon Support,
I see here that you are trying to marketing your product instead of helping me, as usual.

I bought this package almost two months ago and I still cannot use it. Do you know why?
Maybe you should read the 20 e-mails I have sent to your customer support.

This package comes with two softwares: one for windows and one for the mac.
Since the beginning, the one for Mac didn't work, while that for window is three times slower than the pr
... See more
Dear Babylon Support,
I see here that you are trying to marketing your product instead of helping me, as usual.

I bought this package almost two months ago and I still cannot use it. Do you know why?
Maybe you should read the 20 e-mails I have sent to your customer support.

This package comes with two softwares: one for windows and one for the mac.
Since the beginning, the one for Mac didn't work, while that for window is three times slower than the previuos version I owned and also crashes from time to time (I cannot use the ctrl+enter shortcut to activate it: if I do it, the babylon windows disappear and I have to close the software. I can only use it by pasting the terms).

For what concerns the Mac version, that doesn't work altogheter. I have tried to obtain help from your support but you keep ignoring me.
The only time I talked with one of you over the phone, they just replaced the licence and tried to sell me a pack of dictionaries (that I am so glad I didn't buy!) to use on the mac version.

This because the mac version comes with no dictionaries in it, and I cannot install my premium content dictionaries I own in it, because you told me they are valid only for the windows version.
By the way, when I bought this version I thought it was just one software, not two: you didn't tell me that I had to install to softwares and buy new dictionaries for one of them.

Your assistance answer me from time to time and says:

"Dear Bruno,
Thank you for taking the time to write us.
Please accept my apology for any inconvenience. I would be glad to assist in the matter, so please send me your phone number and please indicate when will it be more convenient that I will contact you.
Hope to hear from you soon."

I have been giving you my phone number and the times when you can call me since two months: so far, nobody has contacted me, nor I have received a reimbursement.

You are the worst customer service I have experiences so far: YOU DON'T HELP YOUR CUSTOMERS, YOU ONLY TRY TO SELL THEM THINGS OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

Please, if you have to reply to this post, before you do it, read the 20 emails I have sent you so far that read as follows:

Da: Bruno Depascale
Data: 30 giugno 2011 10.13.00 GMT+02.00
A: [email protected]
Oggetto: I: [#GBB-371984]: windows

Dear Sirs,
two weeks have passed and I have still not had the pleasure to receive an answer from you.
Below you can find the last email I sent you on June 15.
Actually, I sent you two such emails to get sure you receive at least one of them.
I hope I will have the pleasure to receive an answer from you.
Regards,
Bruno

------------------------

Da: Bruno Depascale
Data: 15 giugno 2011 12.54.34 GMT+02.00
A: [email protected]
Oggetto: Re: [#GBB-371984]: windows

Dear Marcelo,
Please see below a copy of the email I sent you on the 10th of June, 32 minutes after you sent me your email:

Dear Marcelo,
you can phone me at the number: (+39) 099.9558405, from 9.00 am to 18.00 pm CET.
Sincerely,
Bruno

I have not heard from you since that email.
You tell me "be aware also that the Babylon for Windows is not an upgrade, it is a full license". What do you mean with that? I already had Babylon 7 for windows.
Why should I pay the next version more than an upgrade? It is not different from the previous software.
EVERY SOFTWARE COMPANY SELLS UPGRADES TO EXISTING CUSTOMERS. YOUR COMPANY SEEMS TO DO THING DIFFERENTLY.
This "full license", as you call it, has nothing to do with the virtual machine. So, why does it cost more than an upgrade?
I don't need Babylon for mac anymore: it doesn't work and I cannot install my premium dictionaries on it (it doesn't even contain the basic dictionaries, like EN-IT or ES-IT!).
When I spoke over the phone with your colleague, he proposed me to buy a pack of dictionaries (the basic ones like EN-IT and ES-IT and also those that I had already bought for my windows version) to install them on Babylon for mac (for a discounted price of 108 €!!!).
YOU HAVE NOT HELPED ME SO FAR. You have just tried to sell me a pack of dictionaries! This doesn't look like customer assistance.

IF THE MAC VERSION DOES NOT WORK AND IF I CANNOT INSTALL ON IT MY PREMIUM CONTENT DICTIONARIES (AT NO EXTRA COST), I WANT A REIMBURSEMENT.

So, the decision is yours: or you meet both these stated conditions, or you give me a reimbursement for the mac version: 41,00 €.
You can also ignore my emails. In that case I will gladly do this: make a really bad advertisement of your services among my fellow translators, as long as I live.
Hope you will give me a sound answer about the upgrade price and the mac version.
Sincerely,
Bruno

Dr. Bruno Depascale
Medical & scientific translator
www.traduzionimediche.org

---------------------------------------------

Dear Bruno,

Please see bellow a copy of the e-mail I sent you on the 10th of June, be aware also that the Babylon for Windows is not an upgrade, it is a full license.

"Thank you for taking the time to write us.

Please send me a phone number and a morning period (Italy) when I can call you to assist.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,"
Marcelo O. / Babylon Support Team / Babylon Ltd.

Babylon Movies Tutorial channel ;
http://www.youtube.com/BabylonCompany
Subscribe Now to our YouTube Tutorial Channel to Learn More!

Ticket History
===================
Bruno Depascale (Client) Posted On: 15 Jun 2011 08:30 AM

===============================================================
Dear Sirs,
with reference to your email below, some time ago I decided to try your first option. So far nobody has contacted me by phone.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to connect to Internet for the few weeks, so I would like to receive the reimbursement for the mac version of Babylon.
I did un upgrade from Babylon 7 (windows), which costs 47 euros, + 41,5 € for the mac version (I paid 88,5 €).
I should be entitled to receive back 41,5 €, not 19,00 €.
Hoping to receive a positive reply,
I wish you a nice day.
Bruno

Dr. Bruno Depascale
Medical & scientific translator
www.traduzionimediche.org

Il giorno 09/giu/2011, alle ore 16.49, Babylon Support ha scritto:

Hi, again, Dr. Bruno, i have 2 ways to resolve this:
1 - We can do connection with your computer and ours and we try to fix this problem to you.
2 - The price of the license of Babylon 9 for windows costs 69 EUR and i can give you the refund of the rest of the amount, the refund will be 19 EUR

What do you prefer to do? I will MY BEST to help you!

Thanks Again.
Illan F. / Babylon Customer Relation / Babylon Ltd.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Don't buy Babylon v3 parallel for MAC!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »