Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Trados on Mac (via parallels or boot camp)
Thread poster: Isadora MORA
Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison
United States
Local time: 16:20
English to Polish
+ ...
Windows Jul 18, 2011

I was running XP for the longest time, then caved and bought Win7, works like a charm and actually better than XP did.
Latest Parallels version is 6, I don't see a reason to buy an outdated version of it.
When it comes to Office, it's your choice, I haven't seen the newest version and I have no idea what the advantages are.

Isadora MORA
Isadora MORA  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will the consider the latest version of Parallels. But then again I am confused...I understood I Jul 18, 2011

Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison wrote:

I was running XP for the longest time, then caved and bought Win7, works like a charm and actually better than XP did.
Latest Parallels version is 6, I don't see a reason to buy an outdated version of it.
When it comes to Office, it's your choice, I haven't seen the newest version and I have no idea what the advantages are.

Isadora MORA
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
oops Jul 18, 2011

Isadora MORA wrote:

Sorry for the fat finger. I understood I did not need Windows if using Parallels, right? Did I get it wrong?

United States
English to Polish
+ ...
You got it wrong :) Jul 18, 2011

Parallels just lets you run another operating system on your Mac. It may be Windows, it may be Linux, if you're so inclined. You still need to purchase and install the OS itself though.

Isadora MORA
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ok. Jul 18, 2011

Parallels just lets you run another operating system on your Mac. It may be Windows, it may be Linux, if you're so inclined. You still need to purchase and install the OS itself though.

Thanks for the clarification!

valentinska
valentinska
Germany
Local time: 22:20
Italian to English
+ ...
Windows XP not working for me.. Jul 20, 2011

In the process of installing Trados 2009 on my Mac, using Windows XP through Parallel Desktop, some component cannot be installed. I get a message saying:

Prerequisite check for system component .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 failed with the following error message:
"Installation of the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 requires Windows XP SP2, Windows 2003 SP1, Windows Vista, or later. Contact your application vendor."

See the setup log file located at 'C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\
... See more
In the process of installing Trados 2009 on my Mac, using Windows XP through Parallel Desktop, some component cannot be installed. I get a message saying:

Prerequisite check for system component .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 failed with the following error message:
"Installation of the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 requires Windows XP SP2, Windows 2003 SP1, Windows Vista, or later. Contact your application vendor."

See the setup log file located at 'C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSDB1.tmp\install.log' for more information.

Does anyone have a clue about what I'm doing wrong? Do I need to do anything in particular to make sure I am installing it in the right OS or is it an automatic process?

Thank you so much!
Collapse

United States
English to Polish
+ ...
Did you make sure you've installed all the Windows updates Jul 20, 2011

?

Constance Mannshardt
Constance Mannshardt  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
How to install Windows Nov 21, 2011

How should i proceed.
* Install Windows on Bootcamp so that after i can boot it up on Parallels.
* Or do not install on bootcamp but directly on Parallels?

Thanks.

United States
English to Polish
+ ...
. Nov 21, 2011

Install directly on Parallels.

Nixf01
Nixf01
Thanks guys Jul 3, 2012

I'm a newbie and just wanted to say thanks so much for this excellent thread and very helpful responses! Just backing up my Mac air now, prior to installing Parallels and Trados - wish me luck!

Ruth Simpson
Ruth Simpson  Identity Verified
France
French to English
What about Office Pack in Parallels? Feb 17, 2014

Hi,

I have followed this thread with interest as I have just set up Parallels and Trados on my iMac. Trados has downloaded fine, but I can't see how I can translate files on the Windows screen if I don't have Office downloaded on there as well (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.).

Do I have to buy the Office pack again for PC this time??

Thanks for your help!

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 04:20
English to Indonesian
+ ...
depends on the trados version Aug 17, 2014

Ruth Simpson wrote:

Hi,

I have followed this thread with interest as I have just set up Parallels and Trados on my iMac. Trados has downloaded fine, but I can't see how I can translate files on the Windows screen if I don't have Office downloaded on there as well (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.).

Do I have to buy the Office pack again for PC this time??

Thanks for your help!

If you have Studio, then you don't need to install Microsoft Office on Windows, cmiiw.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados on Mac (via parallels or boot camp)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »