Advantages of Ipod/Ipad for a translator?
Thread poster: Williamson
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:18
Flemish to English
+ ...
Jul 26, 2011

Having been used to a traditional pc and a laptop,I am getting a bit behind on technology and evolution of some tools. So, I was wondering what the advantages of tools like Blackberry, Ipod, Ipad and the like are? Are they worth their investment?
What about software for these tools? Are there CATs for an IPAD?
On the same note, I never have been a fan of social networks like Facebook, Twitter and the like. What are their advantages. Don't you get hooked up on them?

[Edi
... See more
Having been used to a traditional pc and a laptop,I am getting a bit behind on technology and evolution of some tools. So, I was wondering what the advantages of tools like Blackberry, Ipod, Ipad and the like are? Are they worth their investment?
On the same note, I never have been a fan of social networks like Facebook, Twitter and the like. What are their advantages. Don't you get hooked up on them?

[Edited at 2011-07-26 09:17 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:18
Member (2008)
Italian to English
useless Jul 26, 2011

Williamson wrote:

[Edited at 2011-07-26 09:17 GMT]

I have no use for an iPad. I can't see the point of them.

yanadeni (X)
yanadeni (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:18
French to Russian
+ ...
I don't see any use of it Aug 7, 2011

It's just a tech toy with no use for translators.
Do be ashamed of being behind on technology.

Grigori Gazarian
Grigori Gazarian  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:18
Member (2021)
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
Mainly as a reference tool Sep 20, 2011

There are plenty of decent dictionaries for iPad/iPhone (Oxford, Duden, SlovoEd, American Heritage, Longman, MW, Roget's Thesaurus). Most are reasonably priced ($10-$50) and offer regular updates free of charge. You can also use an iPad for quick Google lookups or to keep an eye on your email (this eliminates the need of having the browser window or a mail application open in the background).

Other than that, I can't think of any use for these devices for a translator. Personally I
... See more
There are plenty of decent dictionaries for iPad/iPhone (Oxford, Duden, SlovoEd, American Heritage, Longman, MW, Roget's Thesaurus). Most are reasonably priced ($10-$50) and offer regular updates free of charge. You can also use an iPad for quick Google lookups or to keep an eye on your email (this eliminates the need of having the browser window or a mail application open in the background).

Other than that, I can't think of any use for these devices for a translator. Personally I use my iPad for reading digital content (RSS feeds, e-books and newspapers, etc.) and watching films and TV shows.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advantages of Ipod/Ipad for a translator?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »