Special Characters running Windows on a Mac laptop...
Thread poster: Pauline Ratzé
Pauline Ratzé
Pauline Ratzé
Switzerland
Local time: 18:31
Member (2023)
English to French
+ ...
Aug 25, 2011

Hello,

Here is my problem : I'm running Windows in a Virtual Box on my Mac laptop. Currently abroad, I do not have an extra keyboard to plug, so no numeric keypad to use.

Does someone know a way to get the special characters (…, «, », etc.) other than copying and pasting them from the Windows Character Map ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Regards,

Pauline

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 18:31
French to English
+ ...
Custom keyboard layout Aug 25, 2011

If there are a few characters you use a lot, you may want to consider installing a custom keyboard layout, where these characters can be typed through prefix keys. For example,
I created a custom layout with many special characters and accented characters from most European languages. In particular, I can type « and » as CTRL-ALT-[ and CTRL-ALT-].
You can either download the MSKLC utility from Microsoft to make such layouts yourself, or ask me and I will send you my universal layo
... See more
If there are a few characters you use a lot, you may want to consider installing a custom keyboard layout, where these characters can be typed through prefix keys. For example,
I created a custom layout with many special characters and accented characters from most European languages. In particular, I can type « and » as CTRL-ALT-[ and CTRL-ALT-].
You can either download the MSKLC utility from Microsoft to make such layouts yourself, or ask me and I will send you my universal layout. Here is a partial example of what it can do:
®™«»“”¥£€₪ßüáòêčőøåæþðçċēã·±×≠≥≤≈§
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:31
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Try Aug 25, 2011

Ilya Birman’s layout

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Special Characters running Windows on a Mac laptop...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »