OSX Lion and parallels with Win 7 pro - do I need antivirus?
Thread poster: achisholm
achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:39
Italian to English
+ ...
Sep 15, 2011

Hi, I'm relatively new to using a Mac as my own computer. I had one supplied and administered by the company I worked for.

I have installed Parallels 7 and Windows 7 Professional so that I can run Trados etc. Do I also need to install antivirus software in the windows virtual machine or am I covered by the mac antivirus software I have installed and running on the machine anyway (I am using Sophos at the moment)?

All suggestions and explanations very welcome.

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:39
English to Russian
+ ...
better safe than sorry Sep 16, 2011

I have an antivirus software installed on my virtual machine.
Even if I don´t surf the web using windows programms, there is no guarantee that files received for translation in the windows environment are not infected.

younggilee
younggilee
Local time: 14:39
English to Korean
+ ...
Protect one or both? Sep 16, 2011

There is anti-virus software available for OSX system. If you really want to protect your computer and its data against any network attack, you should install updated anti-virus software to your parallel system, as well as OSX system.
It doesn't make sense that your parallel system is protected, but not the main operating system? Why don't you consider setting up Windows 7 via Boot Camp? From my personal experience, it does perform much better than parallel method.

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:39
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have Sophos installed on the Mac Sep 16, 2011

I do have an antivirus package installed on the Mac system.
My question as in relation to the Windows 7 virtual machine running via parallels - since this technically runs "inside" the mac system anyway.

As an aside, and in answer to your question regarding boot camp. I installed the Windows 7 via parallels because I had these available to me. However though, to my surprise, I have found the Win7/parallels solution to be surprisingly fast. Admittedly, I have not tried to trans
... See more
I do have an antivirus package installed on the Mac system.
My question as in relation to the Windows 7 virtual machine running via parallels - since this technically runs "inside" the mac system anyway.

As an aside, and in answer to your question regarding boot camp. I installed the Windows 7 via parallels because I had these available to me. However though, to my surprise, I have found the Win7/parallels solution to be surprisingly fast. Admittedly, I have not tried to translate very large word files yet, but so far I've been very pleasantly surprised.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

OSX Lion and parallels with Win 7 pro - do I need antivirus?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »