Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:40
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
clean install Dec 19, 2011

Thanks Adam for all these details, I am really grateful. I will follow this route. I'm currently copying the .pvm file on the Time Capsule (used as a basic external HD)... only 2 hours to wait until it's finished

Have a great day,
Aude

Adam Podstawczynski (X)
Adam Podstawczynski (X)  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Another good tutorial Dec 19, 2011

Here is one more tutorial on how to make a bootable USB with Lion for clean install:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-a-bootable-mac-os-x-10-7-lion-installer-from-a-usb-flash-drive/

I think it is even better with all the screenshots and very precise explanations.

Yes, copying a full .pvm is a long
... See more
Here is one more tutorial on how to make a bootable USB with Lion for clean install:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-a-bootable-mac-os-x-10-7-lion-installer-from-a-usb-flash-drive/

I think it is even better with all the screenshots and very precise explanations.

Yes, copying a full .pvm is a long task. I do it from time to time for backup purposes -- I save my full Windows installation every some time so that if I break something in Windows, I can always return to an earlier version. That is one good things about using virtual machines -- doing the same on a normal PC with Windows is much more cumbersome.
Collapse

Aude Sylvain
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
- Dec 19, 2011

Thank you Adam.

For the time being I can't even enter Disk Utility (hanging), I will reboot my laptop once the .pvd is fully copied on the TC, hoping that will cure this new problem - or I'll create the bootable device from a friend's Mac.
It looks like my whole system is really messed up... I can't even incriminate Lion this time, since I downgraded to SL.

Luckily I have another (PC) machine, with all programs up to date, in order to work while my Mac is in th
... See more
Thank you Adam.

For the time being I can't even enter Disk Utility (hanging), I will reboot my laptop once the .pvd is fully copied on the TC, hoping that will cure this new problem - or I'll create the bootable device from a friend's Mac.
It looks like my whole system is really messed up... I can't even incriminate Lion this time, since I downgraded to SL.

Luckily I have another (PC) machine, with all programs up to date, in order to work while my Mac is in the operating room!

All the best,
Aude
Collapse

Adam Podstawczynski (X)
Polish to English
+ ...
Hanging Disk utility Dec 19, 2011

Aude Sylvain wrote:

One more thing you can try before reinstalling Lion is -- providing your MacBook has dual graphics built-in (most do) -- switching the Mac from graphics performance mode to battery life mode (System Preferences -> Energy saving -> Switch the first option to "Longer battery life").

The possibility that the additional graphics chip is to blame for the system behavior is small, but still it is worth to eliminate it before you spend a lot of time reinstalling.

Yes, you can prepare the USB Lion on another computer, there is no difference.

Unfortunately, judging from your descriptions (almost every program hanging, random freezes), it looks like a hardware issue. But do try the whole reinstallation procedure before returning the computer, it might save you a lot of time if this turns out to be software issue in the end.

Aude Sylvain
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
disk utility ok Dec 19, 2011

Hi Adam,

I rebooted the laptop (had to do it twice though), and I can open Disk utility now.
I will make sure to switch to the battery life mode before I make the reinstall.

I really hope it is not a hardware issue... I never had a single problem with that laptop before I tried to upgrade to Lion (first in July and it was a nightmare, then in October after the first update), wouldn't that mean that the hardware is fine?

Fingers crossed...

... See more
Hi Adam,

I rebooted the laptop (had to do it twice though), and I can open Disk utility now.
I will make sure to switch to the battery life mode before I make the reinstall.

I really hope it is not a hardware issue... I never had a single problem with that laptop before I tried to upgrade to Lion (first in July and it was a nightmare, then in October after the first update), wouldn't that mean that the hardware is fine?

Fingers crossed...

Thanks again,

Aude
Collapse

Adam Podstawczynski (X)
Polish to English
+ ...
Fingers crossed too. Dec 19, 2011

As I wrote before, a hardware issue could have become apparent only after installing Lion which uses more memory and which manages resources in a different way. But hopefully my reasoning is wrong here.

Go ahead with creating the USB disk.

When you go to booting the MacBook from the USB stage, remember not to simply proceed with the installation, but, as soon as you see a menu with apple icon in th
... See more
As I wrote before, a hardware issue could have become apparent only after installing Lion which uses more memory and which manages resources in a different way. But hopefully my reasoning is wrong here.

Go ahead with creating the USB disk.

When you go to booting the MacBook from the USB stage, remember not to simply proceed with the installation, but, as soon as you see a menu with apple icon in the top part of the installation screen, search for Disk utility (yes, again) there, and format clean your normal hard disk (not the USB from which you boot). This Disk utility is loaded from your USB drive, not from your hard disk, so there is more hope it will work correctly without freezing.

Only then install Lion on this freshly formatted disk.

I know you know this, but just to be sure: formatting the hard disk this way will erase all your data, so please check 7 times if you made backups of everything you need.

Keep me posted on how you progress!

Adam

[Edited at 2011-12-19 13:10 GMT]
Collapse

Aude Sylvain
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
- Dec 19, 2011

Thanks Adam!

I can't make the install now because I have a deadline coming, but I will proceed asap and let you know.

MANY thanks again,

All the best

Aude

Aude Sylvain
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Done and THANK YOU Dec 21, 2011

Hello Adam and all

I followed your recommendations and very clear instructions and installed Lion from a bootable USB device on a fully clean machine. Everything seems to run much better than earlier, up to date I had no Mac application hanging - which by itself is a tremendous improvement!

I am currently installing Windows 7; I decided to create a new VM instead of importing the backup of the earlier one just in case there was also a problem with the VM... fing
... See more
Hello Adam and all

I followed your recommendations and very clear instructions and installed Lion from a bootable USB device on a fully clean machine. Everything seems to run much better than earlier, up to date I had no Mac application hanging - which by itself is a tremendous improvement!

I am currently installing Windows 7; I decided to create a new VM instead of importing the backup of the earlier one just in case there was also a problem with the VM... fingers crossed!

Many thanks again for your help, I am extremely grateful.

Have a great day,
Aude

PS. Adam, just in case, it's better to use the tutorial posted on redmondpie.com (the one you quoted first). The other one is easer to follow thanks to the screenshots but they omitted the step concerning the formatting of the USB device as a “GUID Partition Table”.

Adam Podstawczynski wrote:
An example on how to do this using a USB memory: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-make-your-own-os-x-lion-bootable-usb-flash-drive-tutorial/
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

OSX Lion - any feedback?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »