Maria del Carmen Blanco Rodriguez
Maria del Carmen Blanco Rodriguez  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 16, 2012

Hello all,
Something odd happened to me today when starting a new translation in Word 2011 for Mac. I have the "Include textboxes, footnotes and endnotes check box" activated under word count, however when I started adding text to the header of the document, word kept telling me there were 0 words (I also used the word count tool from the toolbar, but it kept saying there were 0 words). I don't know what is this happening and I can't find any solution either, and the odd part is that this
... See more
Hello all,
Something odd happened to me today when starting a new translation in Word 2011 for Mac. I have the "Include textboxes, footnotes and endnotes check box" activated under word count, however when I started adding text to the header of the document, word kept telling me there were 0 words (I also used the word count tool from the toolbar, but it kept saying there were 0 words). I don't know what is this happening and I can't find any solution either, and the odd part is that this happened today.
I had to open the translated document in wordfast and do the word count with the analyze feature, but I would really like for word to do the job correctly.
Can anyone help me solve this please? Thank you
Collapse

Daniel Grau
Daniel Grau  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
Word never counts words in headers or footers Jan 16, 2012

To count words in headers or footers, you need to select them and count them separately.

For the word count to include text within floating boxes, don't select any text (the cursor should be blinking).

If you select text, Word will count the number of words in the selection, and if you select the complete document (Select All = Command A), it will exclude text boxes. However, this lets you calculate the number of words in text boxes: simply subtract both totals (the one
... See more
To count words in headers or footers, you need to select them and count them separately.

For the word count to include text within floating boxes, don't select any text (the cursor should be blinking).

If you select text, Word will count the number of words in the selection, and if you select the complete document (Select All = Command A), it will exclude text boxes. However, this lets you calculate the number of words in text boxes: simply subtract both totals (the one obtained with Select All from the one obtained with the cursor blinking).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2011 for Mac suddenly not counting words in header

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »