Transfer:documents keep getting destroyed
Thread poster: Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:22
Italian to German
Jun 18, 2004

For the second time, while trying to transfer a Word document to another computer within my firm with OS 10, the document disappeared and is unretrievable on any computer. I have an older document with the same name, so when I go to "Recent documents" in Word or on my screen, the older one is opened.
Is there any help??

Deborah Shannon
Deborah Shannon  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Long filename? Jun 18, 2004

Hi Martin,

Could it be a problem with the filename? Either too long or has some forbidden character in it?

What I get under OS9 is that long filenames are shortened by inserting an ellipsis in the middle. If these files are transferred straight to an OSX machine, they simply vanish.

Does anyone know why this happens?

All the best, Deborah

colemh
colemh
Local time: 06:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some Info Jun 18, 2004

This article might be helpful if your filename ends with \"#02\" or other hexadecimal number,
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107144

Assuming the file is \"lost\" on the server and not on your machine; use the find option to look for all document occurrences of the file. Order the list by date or any other criteria that will permit you to detect the
... See more
This article might be helpful if your filename ends with \"#02\" or other hexadecimal number,
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107144

Assuming the file is \"lost\" on the server and not on your machine; use the find option to look for all document occurrences of the file. Order the list by date or any other criteria that will permit you to detect the one you require. Double click to open it, this should change the recent items list (finder and word).

You can also clear the recent item list (it will erase all references to latest documents, applications and documents): apple menu – recent items - clear menu.

Hope this helps
Collapse

Martin Schmurr
Italian to German
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! the file name was Jun 18, 2004

itenbugs.doc - so nothing dangerous!
What does it help if I erase "Last documents"?
Bye,
Martin

colemh
colemh
English to Spanish
+ ...
Clear recent items Jun 19, 2004

Martin Schmurr wrote:
What does it help if I erase "Last documents"?
Martin

When you choose to open your file using recent Items (apple menu) or from word's document list, what you are really doing is using a reference (kind of an alias) to look for and open the chosen file.

When you say "I have an older document with the same name, so when I go to "Recent documents" in Word or on my screen, the older one is opened."

I am assuming that there are two copies of "itenbugs.doc" and that the modified document is still in your machine (and that what was lost is the copy you tried to place on the server or any other computer on the network).

For some reason the list has not been updated and is not "pointing to” the "newer" version of your document. So every time you select it, you are opening the last reference to that file (the older version, did your system crash recently? or had to force quit the application?). In order to update the list you need to look for the original file (no aliases) and open it (double click the icon). This will force a change in your list.

When you select the clear menu option (finder) you eliminate all references so it will update the list with the new file once you open it.

If what you are selecting is the name from word’s recent documents, just select preferences and in recent used files place a 0 or deselect it. This will erase the document list. Select the option again and write the number of documents you wish on your document list.

Once the list is updated you can go back to using the recent documents option and should open the right file.

As for the rest, it is kind of strange; I talked to several friends that are certified Apple technicians and they have not encountered situations as the one you have described. Can you please indicate how the "transfer" is being done?
In the meantime I would try to:
- Open word, copy the contents to a new file and once again try the “transfer”. (make sure that the file you are trying to send is not corrupted).
-Verify access privileges for your document (what you are allowing other people to do with it).
- Verify access privileges for the folder that is to hold the copy of your file (in the recipient’s computer). You might not have enough privileges to write on it. Look for a “public folder” (drop folder for example).
- Verify if there is any security software installed that might be blocking the transfer process.
- Verify that when you "transfer the file" you are connected to the machine; sometimes you might see the other computer's icon but might have lost the conection to it.
- Verify your hard drive Applications Folder – Utilities – Disk Utility – First aid verify disk) (just to make sure there is no problem with the file you are trying to send).

Good luck,

colemh
colemh
English to Spanish
+ ...
Find Options Jun 19, 2004

Martin Schmurr wrote:

the document disappeared and is unretrievable on any computer.

Are you using finder's find option to look for the irretrievable file?

If so, did you select search in "everywhere" and included the shared volume that was suppose to contain the document?

Remember OS X has a Unix structure, so you will have a root directory (not accessible to all users) and a directory for every defined user. If you don't select everywhere he will only look in the user's directory.

Can it be possible you are saving the file in the root directory and your search criterion is omitting it?

Martin Schmurr
Italian to German
TOPIC STARTER
thanks colemh, Jun 22, 2004

I'll try to find the root directory! I did use the finder's Search with "Everywhere", but the doc remains lost, so I can't try resending it, and "Recent..." doesn't help me.
Bye from Udine,
Martin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transfer:documents keep getting destroyed

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »