Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:58
Catalan to English
+ ...
Jun 23, 2004

Hi!

I hope someone somewhere can help me. I am using a Mac PowerBook G4 with OS 9.1.4 and the Spanish version of Microsoft Word 98. In the translation I am currently working on I have to write a long list of Polish names - all Polish accents included!

Is there any way to do this without having a Polish version of Word?

Another wee question: I cannot read Polish accents online properly either (e.g. in the Polish-English questions on proz.com). Is there any
... See more
Hi!

I hope someone somewhere can help me. I am using a Mac PowerBook G4 with OS 9.1.4 and the Spanish version of Microsoft Word 98. In the translation I am currently working on I have to write a long list of Polish names - all Polish accents included!

Another wee question: I cannot read Polish accents online properly either (e.g. in the Polish-English questions on proz.com). Is there any way I can adjust my computer to allow me to do that?

Many thanks in advance for any ideas!

Sheila
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
moved from General Tech Issues to Apple/Mac forum Jun 23, 2004

Hi, Sheila.
I moved your posting to the Mac forum, where you will hopefully get some useful answers.

Roberta

ManuelHP
ManuelHP
English to Spanish
+ ...
Polish Mac OS9 Jun 23, 2004

Hi Sheila,
Yes, you can and it fairly simple.

Go to the Mac OS9 Installation CDs, Language Kits, and install the CE module. You will find modules for Arabic, Hebrew, Chinese, etc if you ever need them. The Cd will ask you to re-start.

The CD will copy several fonts in your system folder (Helvetica CE, Palatino CE, etc). It will also give you the option to use the Polish, Czech or Hungarian keyboards. Choose Polish to type anything in Polish (you'll see the Polish
... See more
Hi Sheila,
Yes, you can and it fairly simple.

Go to the Mac OS9 Installation CDs, Language Kits, and install the CE module. You will find modules for Arabic, Hebrew, Chinese, etc if you ever need them. The Cd will ask you to re-start.

The CD will copy several fonts in your system folder (Helvetica CE, Palatino CE, etc). It will also give you the option to use the Polish, Czech or Hungarian keyboards. Choose Polish to type anything in Polish (you'll see the Polish flag near the clock).

Be careful because the Polish keyboard does not coincide with the Spanish nor the English one. You'll need to open the keyboard from Apple Menu to see what characters (and accents) you have available.

Any queries, please let me know.
Regards
Manuel Herranz
www.b-ieuropa.com

Sheila Hardie wrote:

Hi!

Another wee question: I cannot read Polish accents online properly either (e.g. in the Polish-English questions on proz.com). Is there any way I can adjust my computer to allow me to do that?

Many thanks in advance for any ideas!

Sheila
Collapse

Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 23, 2004

Hi Manuel,

Many thanks for your advice. I shall definitely give it a try as soon as I get a hold of my Installation CDs. Unfortunately, I am not at home right now and thus cannot access them. I don't suppose there is any way of writing these Polish accents without doing what you suggested, is there?

Thanks again!

Sheila

P.S. Thanks for moving the topic into the correct section, Roberta:-)

[Edited at 2004-06-23 13:07]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to write Polish characters in Microsoft Word 98 for Mac

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »