dmoamin
dmoamin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:22
Arabic to English
+ ...
May 9, 2012

Hi,

I have a Mac Mid 2009 and for some reason when I type in Arabic, the font isn’t connected, the letters don’t connect to each other properly, it works for PowerPoint, but not for Word. I don’t know if there is away to fix that?

Thank you for your help,

Dima

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:22
German to English
+ ...
Arabic on Mac May 9, 2012

There are known problems writing Arabic in MS Word.

Not all software that you can put on your Mac is able to handle Arabic text. Unfortunately, that includes the most common word processor of all, Microsoft Word...

http://www.smi.uib.no/ksv/ArabicMac.html#cimm

June 11, 2011

MS Office 2011 for MAC has problems with Arabic BUT PowerPoint does support Arabic, Word does not by default but I found a solution to make it accept Arabic writing. Excel does not support Arabic yet.

Word will support Arabic if you do the following:

http://store.apple.com/us/question/answers/product/H2439LL/A?pqid=QP2XCHYY9JU2KAX2CTKYFC4T4HP7TTJPT (q.v.)

DMTranslatorQC
DMTranslatorQC  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:22
Arabic to English
Arabic on Mac Feb 28, 2016

I am having trouble with Arabic in Word for Mac 2011. The words and graphics were also jumbled when I opened it using Microsoft Office Online, which is web-based and not specific to Mac or PC.

My question is this: If I receive a file, how do I know how the original actually looks with 100% confidence? I am taking a translation quiz from an agency and they provided me with the file in question. Not only is it having the aforementioned technical problems, but the file isn't even an u
... See more
I am having trouble with Arabic in Word for Mac 2011. The words and graphics were also jumbled when I opened it using Microsoft Office Online, which is web-based and not specific to Mac or PC.

My question is this: If I receive a file, how do I know how the original actually looks with 100% confidence? I am taking a translation quiz from an agency and they provided me with the file in question. Not only is it having the aforementioned technical problems, but the file isn't even an up to date file extension; it is a .doc file, not a .docx.

What do you recommend I do?
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 11:22
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Solved? Mar 17, 2016

Office:mac now officially supports Hebrew/arabic

Cheers,

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Arabic in Word for Mac 2009

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »