convert word file into MAC
Thread poster: Gabrijela
Gabrijela
Gabrijela
Local time: 08:37
Greek to Serbian
+ ...
Jul 8, 2004

I've just been informed by the agency I had cooperated with that they would like me to convert the whole translation (aprox.35 pages) from Microsoft word to MAC. Could someone give me an idea what I should do (I do not have a MAC so I have to go to their office and use their equipment). Will I have to rewrite the whole text ? Which price should I charge for this kind of job?

Ruben Berrozpe (X)
Ruben Berrozpe (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Which format? Jul 8, 2004

Hi Gabrijela,

There doesn't exist such a format as MAC. Macs (like PCs) use different word processors and different formats, including Microsoft word, which is 99% compatible with MS Word for PC.

You should ask first which format, or which word processor, do they use in their Macs. Considering their request, I am not quite sure they will know either.

My 0.02

Rb

Gabrijela
Gabrijela
Greek to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I really don't know Jul 8, 2004

I am in contact with the translating agency (not with their client who could probably explain me what exactly they want). The agency told me the following : the translation has to be converted to mac, but as our mac does not support serbo-croatian language you will have to go directly to the client's designer (graphist) office (who is going to make prospectus for the client) because they work only with mac.
Should a copy of file on a CD would be of some help?

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:37
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
check what version of Word do they use on the Mac Jul 8, 2004

Check what version of Word do they use on the Mac.
It will probably be enough to chose the relevant format in your Word "Save As" dialog box.

If they cannot give you this info, save the file as "Word 97/2000 & 6.0/95 - RTF", or just plain RTF - that should work fine.

(Also, give the file a short name, to avoid any long-name conflicts).

HtH,
Roberta

Selçuk Budak
Selçuk Budak  Identity Verified
English to Turkish
+ ...
Applications have counterparts in Mac Jul 8, 2004

Applications usually have counterparts for Mac. And such applications are almost always cross-platform applications, i.e., they recognize files created under different operating systems. For example, MS Word for Windows recognizes perfectly the word documents created in MAC, and vice-versa.

Therefore, under normal conditions, your client should be able to read your document.

If you are supposed to deliver the document not via a network, but on a physical medium (floppy)
... See more
Applications usually have counterparts for Mac. And such applications are almost always cross-platform applications, i.e., they recognize files created under different operating systems. For example, MS Word for Windows recognizes perfectly the word documents created in MAC, and vice-versa.

Therefore, under normal conditions, your client should be able to read your document.

If you are supposed to deliver the document not via a network, but on a physical medium (floppy), then you have two options.

Here too, recent versions of MAC os have a built-in utility to read IBM medium.
But if not, there is a shareware utility called "Transmac"
You can use this utility to save the document on a floppy disk for MAC. Thereby, your client would be able to read it with MAC!

You can download a trial version of Transmac here: http://www.asy.com/

regards,
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This is wrong Jul 8, 2004

Selçuk Budak wrote:
If you are supposed to deliver the document not via a network, but on a physical medium (floppy), then you have two options.

You can use this utility to save the document on a floppy disk for MAC. Thereby, your client would be able to read it with MAC!

MACs were allways able to read IBM-formatted media.
PCs cannot do that until today, without an extra application.
The said link leads you to a page, where you can get an ad-on for PC to enable it to read MAC-formatted media. This is indeed very usefull.

Regarding your main issue: if you have your documentatin in Word, you can simply save it via "save as" in a MAC-friendly Word-format. But this has a lot of limitations. It depends strongly on the software used by your customer. Office vX (the lates Office for MAC) can open all PC-Office files, there is no need to "save in MAC-format" - which, as my colleagues allready said here, does not exist as such. There is no PC-format too.

Regards
Jerzy

Gabrijela
Gabrijela
Greek to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 8, 2004

I hope I will manage to find a solution (based on your instructions).

Selçuk Budak
Selçuk Budak  Identity Verified
English to Turkish
+ ...
I could not figure out where I am wrong Jul 8, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Selçuk Budak wrote:

MACs were allways able to read IBM-formatted media.
PCs cannot do that until today, without an extra application.
The said link leads you to a page, where you can get an ad-on for PC to enable it to read MAC-formatted media. This is indeed very usefull.

Regarding your main issue: if you have your documentatin in Word, you can simply save it via "save as" in a MAC-friendly Word-format. But this has a lot of limitations. It depends strongly on the software used by your customer. Office vX (the lates Office for MAC) can open all PC-Office files, there is no need to "save in MAC-format" - which, as my colleagues allready said here, does not exist as such. There is no PC-format too.

Regards
Jerzy

On the basis of your response, I could not figure out where I am wrong. Perhaps, you would be so kind to help me to understand it.

As to PCs' ability to read MAC media, I have no such claim.
As to MAC's ability to read IBM media, I have said that it has a built in utility (to be specific, starting with, I think, system 6 or 7.)

As to writing or even formatting a MAC disk on an IBM machine, YES!
The utility I mentioned is able to format and write on a MAC disk in an IBM computer.

I have just checked what I already know.
Transmac is a two-way utility i.e., both reads from, and writes to, MAC disk.

Best regards,
Selçuk

[Edited at 2004-07-08 18:54]

colemh
colemh
Local time: 00:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't understand your customer's Mac format?????? Jul 8, 2004

Mac is able (and has had the ability do to so, for quite sometime) to read CD’s, diskettes or any other media formatted by a PC.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75320

Files types you can use on a Mac
Here are some common file types that can be opened and used on the Mac, with either built-in applications or applications from other developers:
... See more
Mac is able (and has had the ability do to so, for quite sometime) to read CD’s, diskettes or any other media formatted by a PC.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75320

Files types you can use on a Mac
Here are some common file types that can be opened and used on the Mac, with either built-in applications or applications from other developers:
_ Productivity: plain text (.txt), rich text (.rtf), Word (.doc), Dbase (.dbf), Excel (.xls), PageMaker (.pm3,4,5,6), PowerPoint (.ppt), Quark XPress (.qdx), Quicken (.qdf)
_ Media: MP3 (.mp3), AAC (.aac), AIFF (.aiff), ASF (.asf), AVI (.avi), MIDI (.midi), MPEG 1, MPEG 2 and MPEG 4 video (.mpg, .mp2, .mp4), QuickTime Movie (.qt, .mov), Real Audio/Video (.ra, .ram), Wave Form Audio (.wav), Windows Media Audio and Video (.wma, .wmv)
_ Graphics: BMP (.bmp), GIF (.gif), JPEG (.jpg), TIFF (.tif), PICT (.pct), EPS (.eps), Photoshop (.ps), PostScript (.ps), PDF (.pdf)
_ Internet: HTML (.html, .htm), MIME (.mim, .mime), XML (.xml)
_ Compression: Stuffit (.sit), and ZIP (.zip)
Info taken from: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=153456

Unless there is a problem that involves different program versions the file should be read directly by Word. (No need to convert files, simple double click will do the job). If this is not the case, use the save as command, rtf file format. (RTF= rich text format) RTF is a universal format and should be read by any word processor.
Regards
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Publish the file and the Mac can read it all right Jul 9, 2004

Basically there shuold be no problem (with english language files) but with special characters there can arouse problems. This is not the fault of the Mac but of the people who use it (you may have heard the slogan 'Mac for the rest of us'.
I had once a customer who used only mac and never could manage to get the special characters of Finnish ok when reading a file created on a Windows PC. She sent me her text via email (every line had a carriage return at the end and she could not read m
... See more
Basically there shuold be no problem (with english language files) but with special characters there can arouse problems. This is not the fault of the Mac but of the people who use it (you may have heard the slogan 'Mac for the rest of us'.
I had once a customer who used only mac and never could manage to get the special characters of Finnish ok when reading a file created on a Windows PC. She sent me her text via email (every line had a carriage return at the end and she could not read my German translation properly because the ä and ö were all strange looking. So instead of travelling there and doing the conversion for her, which should not be a problem if once installed, I published the word file as html on my web site and she copied the text from screen into her mac and was very satisfied.
Usually macs are at least supplied with a web browser that can represent all characters right, otherwise mac-people could not use the internet at all.
Hope that helps a bit.
But if you have to go there physically they will be equipped with good software and you should manage, but it takes some time to get used to the mac touch and feel.
Collapse

Gabrijela
Gabrijela
Greek to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your postings! Jul 9, 2004

As Ruben said, I asked the graphist which word format are they using and there was no reply. Then I offered either to save the file as word 5.1 for mac (as my PC has this option), as RTF file or as html (as Roberta, Jerzy, colemh and Heinrich suggested), but once again no proper answer vas given to me. So they asked me to wait till Monday.
Once again thank you and have a nice weekend!

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Misunderstanding Aug 28, 2004

Hello,

i think there is a misunderstanig. I think the problem is not the file format it is the coding of the greek chars.

If you write your translation on a pc with WinWord you will usually use the unicode coding. Most MAC applications cannot work with this coding.

One possibility is to save your file with WinWord on a PC as coded text with the Greek MAC coding. For this you have to install and activate the desired code pages in the system settings of windo
... See more
Hello,

i think there is a misunderstanig. I think the problem is not the file format it is the coding of the greek chars.

If you write your translation on a pc with WinWord you will usually use the unicode coding. Most MAC applications cannot work with this coding.

One possibility is to save your file with WinWord on a PC as coded text with the Greek MAC coding. For this you have to install and activate the desired code pages in the system settings of windows.

It works with Windows 2000 and WinWord 2000. I didn't check other combinations of OS and Word.

Regards

Hans
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

convert word file into MAC

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »