Do I need SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance (or Freelance Plus) to install Trados on both PC & Mac?
Thread poster: Révelle Clarke-Avignant
Révelle Clarke-Avignant
Révelle Clarke-Avignant  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:57
French to English
+ ...
Jul 25, 2012

This is my situation. I know that MACs can run Trados using Virtual PC, Parallels or VMware, or Bootcamp, so my question is the following.

I currently have the choice to purchase either SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance or SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance Plus, and what I can't figure out is whether I can install Trados on both my MAC and my PC using just the Freelance (not Freelance Plus) version.

Or is that I need Freelance Plus (which comes with a second license) in
... See more
This is my situation. I know that MACs can run Trados using Virtual PC, Parallels or VMware, or Bootcamp, so my question is the following.

I currently have the choice to purchase either SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance or SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance Plus, and what I can't figure out is whether I can install Trados on both my MAC and my PC using just the Freelance (not Freelance Plus) version.

Or is that I need Freelance Plus (which comes with a second license) in order to run Trados on both computer systems. I can't seem to find this issue addressed anywhere.

If I don't need to spend the extra $150 for Freelance Plus, then that would be great!

Hope you can help.

Thanks
revelleca
Collapse

Gyula Erdesz
Gyula Erdesz
Hungary
Local time: 12:57
Member (2009)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Freelance plus Jul 26, 2012

Dear revelleca,

The fact that you run Trados Studio on Bootcamp or Parallels or VMware has no influence on the installing & licensing process. If you install the software in two instances, you need to activate them both and therefore you need two licenses.

It is pretty much the same with Windows. If you want to have a Windows virtual machine on MAC, you will need a valid Windows license. From this point of view, virtual machines are really the same as normal computers.<
... See more
Dear revelleca,

The fact that you run Trados Studio on Bootcamp or Parallels or VMware has no influence on the installing & licensing process. If you install the software in two instances, you need to activate them both and therefore you need two licenses.

It is pretty much the same with Windows. If you want to have a Windows virtual machine on MAC, you will need a valid Windows license. From this point of view, virtual machines are really the same as normal computers.

Regards,

Gyula
Collapse

Révelle Clarke-Avignant
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Gyula Jul 26, 2012

I was thinking that this might be the case all along. Are you speaking from experience?

Gyula Erdesz
Gyula Erdesz
Hungary
Member (2009)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Linux experience Jul 26, 2012

Dear revelleca,

Yes, I have got several years of experience with virtualization software like VBox and VMware. I run them on Linux platform and not on MAC OS, but the principle is the same.

Kind regards,

Gyula

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Not exactly Jul 26, 2012

Gyula Erdész wrote:
If you install the software in two instances, you need to activate them both and therefore you need two licenses.

You can also install Trados on both machines and then transfer a single license between them. This is not very convenient though, so I would suggest buying Freelance Plus. 150 USD are not worth the hassle of having to return/activate your license each time you need to switch computers.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:57
Finnish to French
Price difference only 24-30 EUR Jul 26, 2012

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:
You can also install Trados on both machines and then transfer a single license between them. This is not very convenient though, so I would suggest buying Freelance Plus. 150 USD are not worth the hassle of having to return/activate your license each time you need to switch computers.

Right now, the price difference between Studio 2011 Freelance and Freelance Plus is only 24 euros (700 - 676):

Source: http://www.translationzone.com/en/translator-shop/shop_main.asp

Even at "normal" prices, the difference is only 30 euros.

However, smart buyers can purchase Studio 2011 for a little bit more than 500 euros, with the right timing.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
You're right Jul 26, 2012

Hi Dominique,
you're right, of course. I just quoted the amount given by the OP without double-checking this. My bad!

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
2011 with or without 2007 Jul 26, 2012

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:
you're right, of course. I just quoted the amount given by the OP without double-checking this.

The USD 150 price difference quoted by the OP is probably the difference between 2011 with or without 2007. Whether one should get 2007 or not is of course a good question, but it has nothing to do with installation on two separate computers.

Gyula Erdesz
Gyula Erdesz
Hungary
Member (2009)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
You are right Jul 26, 2012

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Gyula Erdész wrote:
If you install the software in two instances, you need to activate them both and therefore you need two licenses.

Dear Stanislaw,

You are right, this is not a convenient way. License manager is not intended to switch your license on a daily basis.

Although I have not such experience with 2011 Studio, you may remember the good old times when Trados 2007 license manager simply refused to unlock the software after too much activation/inactivation:

The activation of the fulfillment is denied by the activation policy because max extra acts exceeded # 6669-8230557 (Error code 50040)

I definitely suggest Freelance Plus version.

Regards,

Gyula

Révelle Clarke-Avignant
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks gents! Jul 26, 2012

This feed has clarified the issue for me. I will get Freelance Plus, since I know I will be working on both my PC and my MAC, and time is money - so if switching licenses will slow me down, I'm better off with two licenses.

And yes Dominique, you're right....the price difference is regarding getting the 2011 software with 2007, sorry I didn't make that clear sooner.

You have all been a great help. Thanks again!...
See more
This feed has clarified the issue for me. I will get Freelance Plus, since I know I will be working on both my PC and my MAC, and time is money - so if switching licenses will slow me down, I'm better off with two licenses.

And yes Dominique, you're right....the price difference is regarding getting the 2011 software with 2007, sorry I didn't make that clear sooner.

You have all been a great help. Thanks again!
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Wait if you can Jul 26, 2012

revelleca wrote:

You may want to wait for 1-2 months if you can, as it's quite likely SDL will have a better offer (usually -35%) by then (at the very latest for "International Translators' Day", ie. Sep-30). See my take on the price of mainstream CAT tools:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/04/06/the-price-of-mainstream-cat-tools-part-2/

Start installing the trial version on one of your computer: you will get 30 days of extra time. If there's still no better offer by then, you can install it to your other computer, and get yet another 30 days of waiting time . By then, it is almost certain SDL will have their 35% discount!

You may also want to have a look at Déjà Vu X2 Professional, currently on offer for 250 euros (I think the offer ends tonight, but they're been having such offers almost every month). That tool used to cost 995 euros just a couple of years ago.

Révelle Clarke-Avignant
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Dominique Jul 26, 2012

I was able to get 40% (35%?) off in a group buy. But it would have been nice to know about the 2 30-day "trial" periods before.

Great blog and CAT tool presentation, by the way!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do I need SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance (or Freelance Plus) to install Trados on both PC & Mac?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »