Laura Morwood
Laura Morwood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:35
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 30, 2012

Hi,

I have to translate a questionnaire, but I only have a jpeg file. Not much use for Trados or other TM's I think. I have a scanner so I've tried to scan it in again but just end up with another jpeg.
Is there a way around this, so that I end up with a file I can edit?
I have an Apple Mac with Windows on VMware
Many thanks,

Laura

Egils Grikis
Egils Grikis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to Latvian
+ ...
Using OCR to Scan Text Nov 30, 2012

Hi Laura,

Find out does your scanner has OCR software.
If not, then few suggestions.

Great scanner software with OCR capabilities – VueScan
VueScan Scanner Software for Windows 8, Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion), Linux, iPhone, iPad, iPod

Output | PDF OCR text

This option creates searchable PDF files. VueScan's Optical Character Recognition (OCR) feature detects where each word is located on the page, and overlays this text on top o
... See more
Hi Laura,

Find out does your scanner has OCR software.
If not, then few suggestions.

Great scanner software with OCR capabilities – VueScan
VueScan Scanner Software for Windows 8, Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion), Linux, iPhone, iPad, iPod

Output | PDF OCR text

This option creates searchable PDF files. VueScan's Optical Character Recognition (OCR) feature detects where each word is located on the page, and overlays this text on top of the image of the page. You can then use the search capability of any PDF viewer to find the text within the PDF document.

This will also let your operating system index your PDF files so you can look for documents based on the text within them.

Use the Output | OCR text language option to choose the language of the text. This will improve the quality of non-English OCR. Only characters that are in the windows-1252 character set (basically Western European languages) will be written to the PDF file.

http://www.hamrick.com

You can use Adobe Acrobat Pro.
Adobe Acrobat X Tutorial – Using OCR to Scan Text
http://infiniteskills.com/blog/2011/09/adobe-acrobat-x-tutorial-using-ocr-to-scan-text/

Cheers,

Egils

Laura Morwood wrote:

Hi,

I have to translate a questionnaire, but I only have a jpeg file. Not much use for Trados or other TM's I think. I have a scanner so I've tried to scan it in again but just end up with another jpeg.
Is there a way around this, so that I end up with a file I can edit?
I have an Apple Mac with Windows on VMware
Many thanks,

Laura
Collapse

Hugues Chaloin
Hugues Chaloin  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:35
English to French
+ ...
OCR software Nov 30, 2012

Hello Laura,

You should give a try with an OCR software (maybe the one provided with your scanner, if available), but the results may not be totally satisfactory and/or may need editing.

As far as I know, this the only solution you have to extract text from an image.

Hugues

Sorour
Sorour
Italian to Arabic
+ ...
Try OCR kit for MAC Nov 30, 2012

Hi Laura,
just try OCRkit, powerful Mac application to convert image graphic into searchable PDF.

http://ocrkit.com/

Jacques DP
Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to French
The simpler way Nov 30, 2012

Having a JPEG is like having the text on paper. Unless it is very long, you probably want to translate it by looking at the JPEG/paper, rather than going through the complication of finding an OCR software, installing it, figuring it out, configuring it, using it, and finally editing the poor source document you will get from that.

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 04:35
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Imaginative Solutions Nov 30, 2012

You could also try Imaginative Solutions http://imaginativesolutions.in, an Indian company that will convert images to text for USD 5 per 1,000 words. I've sent a few PDFs to them and they produce Word files that need minimum post-DTP work.

Laura Morwood
Laura Morwood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your support Dec 2, 2012

Hi guys,

I've looked at all your suggestions and checked them out. I found ABBYY Finereader Online. An OCR which lets you download a PDF online and then OCR it. The resulting document can be downloaded as a Google Doc.
The result is quite good, it dealt with tables quite well. But I will need to improve formatting before I start in Trados.
Of course there is a limit to how often you can use this service, I think it's 20 pages per month. As I hardly ever get PDF files, t
... See more
Hi guys,

I've looked at all your suggestions and checked them out. I found ABBYY Finereader Online. An OCR which lets you download a PDF online and then OCR it. The resulting document can be downloaded as a Google Doc.
The result is quite good, it dealt with tables quite well. But I will need to improve formatting before I start in Trados.
Of course there is a limit to how often you can use this service, I think it's 20 pages per month. As I hardly ever get PDF files, that should suffice!
Thanks again for thinking along, regards, Laura
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

jpeg to word or pages

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »