Automated search, help needed
Thread poster: Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 10:55
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Feb 5, 2013

I laid my hands on a number of very useful terminology databases, but I can't import them as glossaries into my CAT tool without spending hours to make them suitable for it. One of the reasons is that I had to reverse source and target language, and you can probably see the result of that in the screenshot below.

No worries, I can search the files with Spotlight, or even better with <
... See more
I laid my hands on a number of very useful terminology databases, but I can't import them as glossaries into my CAT tool without spending hours to make them suitable for it. One of the reasons is that I had to reverse source and target language, and you can probably see the result of that in the screenshot below.

No worries, I can search the files with Spotlight, or even better with SpotInside. The latter has the advantage of being just as fast as Spotlight, but it's even better, it shows the results highlighted in the document, like this:

Very, very useful in this case. And in just about all other cases I can imagine.

And here's the problem: I'd like SpotInside to search from within my CAT tool. Double-click a term in the CAT tool, hit a keyboard shortcut, and Bob's my uncle. This is the way I search my main dictionary a.o. (see http://www.screencast.com/t/tmHrJHDaas Don't worry, it's a very short screencast…) For Spotlight, there's a built-in Automator Service for that. Not so for SpotInside of course, so I tried to create an Automator Service for it myself, and failed miserably. Yesterday, I spent hours to create it, to no avail. And it's not my first Automator Service.

Can anybody help me out?

BTW, it looks like the SpotInside developer called it a day, and I'm not sure the app will work in ML. It does work in Lion, though.

Cheers,

Hans
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 10:55
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved (more or less) Feb 8, 2013

Thanks to trhanslator for mentioning Keyboard Maestro (on another forum), and Peter of the company that distributes the app, I more or less solved the problem. The KM macro:

The only thing I'm not 100% happy with (apart from the fact I couldn't create the Automator Service for solving the problem), is that after each search, I'll have to delete the previous search word(s). You can't have it all, I suppose, not for a handful of dollars anyway.

Cheers,

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automated search, help needed

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »