Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How is your translation experience working with Mac?
Thread poster: Lotte Bulckens
Lotte Bulckens
Lotte Bulckens  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:33
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 5, 2013

Hello everybody,

I am thinking of buying a new computer. One of the options I am considering is a Mac cumputer (either MacBook Pro or an iMac) but I have never worked with Apple before and wanted to know more about compatibility of Trados 2007/Trados Studio 2009 and Microsoft Office with the Mac computers. Does everything work fine? Are my clients going to notice any differences in the files I will deliver them?
Thanks for your time!
[Edited at 2013-03-05 15:14 GMT]
<
... See more
Hello everybody,

I am thinking of buying a new computer. One of the options I am considering is a Mac cumputer (either MacBook Pro or an iMac) but I have never worked with Apple before and wanted to know more about compatibility of Trados 2007/Trados Studio 2009 and Microsoft Office with the Mac computers. Does everything work fine? Are my clients going to notice any differences in the files I will deliver them?
Thanks for your time!
[Edited at 2013-03-05 15:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-03-05 15:15 GMT]
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 16:33
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Go Mac all the way Mar 5, 2013

And forget about Trados and things.

Cheers,

Hans

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
A picture, not a 1,000 words Mar 5, 2013

http://content.screencast.com/users/hanstranslations/folders/Default/media/b92d7af2-2682-4cea-bbf1-6c0c556899c3/CT%20set%20up%2027%20inch.png

[Edited at 2013-03-06 13:21 GMT]

Giunia Totaro
Giunia Totaro  Identity Verified
French to Italian
+ ...
Mac forever Mar 5, 2013

Hi Lotte, I've been working with an iMac for more than a decade and would never get back to PCs. Macs are more reliable and easier to work with, their OS is much more stable than any possible Windows version. And they are definitely prettier, lol. They'll last much longer than corresponding PC models and will hardly need any fixing. And if they do, they'll make it easier and quicker for you to solve any issues.
On my iMac, I have Trados 2007 and Studio 2009 plus SDLX, Multiterm, Passolo, e
... See more
Hi Lotte, I've been working with an iMac for more than a decade and would never get back to PCs. Macs are more reliable and easier to work with, their OS is much more stable than any possible Windows version. And they are definitely prettier, lol. They'll last much longer than corresponding PC models and will hardly need any fixing. And if they do, they'll make it easier and quicker for you to solve any issues.
On my iMac, I have Trados 2007 and Studio 2009 plus SDLX, Multiterm, Passolo, etc., and everything works just fine. Same goes as regards the Office Suite. I currently use the 2003 version, though, since it's apparently more compatible with the SDL software than newer versions are.
A little bit of adjustments will be needed in order for the VM to be perfectly integrated in your personal routine (e.g. defining Trados-compatible shortcuts etc.), but you'll end up with a fast, logical and powerful tool. I never experienced any compatibility issues with my files' formats. And no, your clients won't notice any difference.
I strongly recommend Macs over any PC. Your life will be easier after the necessary adjustment period.
Good luck!
Giunia
Collapse

Giunia Totaro
Giunia Totaro  Identity Verified
French to Italian
+ ...
attached image Mar 5, 2013

Hi Meta,
you might want to edit your post for better page visualization : )
Cheers

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:33
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Windows license + Virtual machine or Bootcamp Mar 5, 2013

You need to install a Windows license on your Mac and run Windows either through a virtual machine (Parallels and VMFusion are the most common) or directly under a Windows partition under a dual boot setup using Boot Camp from Apple.

Mo
... See more
You need to install a Windows license on your Mac and run Windows either through a virtual machine (Parallels and VMFusion are the most common) or directly under a Windows partition under a dual boot setup using Boot Camp from Apple.

More info
http://www.translationzone.com/en/support/how-to-run-sdl-trados-studio-on-an-apple-mac.asp?

There shouldn't be any differences in the files. Make sure you get a computer with plenty of RAM, especially if you are using VM software.

This is a common topic on the fora. Many people are happily using the setup and it doesn't seem to cause any particular problems.
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
All the way, I said Mar 5, 2013

juliette_K wrote:
On my iMac, I have Trados 2007 and Studio 2009 plus SDLX, Multiterm, Passolo, etc., and everything works just fine.

If you use virtualisation on a Mac, you miss out on all the Mac's goodies (like accessing your Van Dale directly from your CAT tool using Services), and you're still cursed with all the disadvantages of Windows. No need for Windows. Forget about Windows. And other things.

Cheers,

Hans

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:33
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
A few points in favour of a PC: Mar 5, 2013

1. My wife uses a Mac, and one thing to keep in mind is that the latest version of Microsoft Office is not 100% compatible with the newest versions of OSX (Lion). When she has to work on large Word docs with complex formatting, she uses my Toshiba laptop.

2. Furthermore, the majority of business software is written for a PC, so if you choose to use a Mac you are limiting what you can use. People like to complain about Windows but my Windows 7 OS looks great and never crashes. If you
... See more
1. My wife uses a Mac, and one thing to keep in mind is that the latest version of Microsoft Office is not 100% compatible with the newest versions of OSX (Lion). When she has to work on large Word docs with complex formatting, she uses my Toshiba laptop.

2. Furthermore, the majority of business software is written for a PC, so if you choose to use a Mac you are limiting what you can use. People like to complain about Windows but my Windows 7 OS looks great and never crashes. If you choose PC you also don't need to worry about running Windows stuff you need virtually.

3. Another thing is the amount of money for a comparable system. The amount of power I have in my current PC desktop would have cost me a lot more if I had chosen a Mac.

4. And last of all: people often like to tell you how their Mac hardware is more reliable. However, everyone I know has had to bring their iPhone, iMac or MacBook back to the Apple store for repairs, whereas my ancient Windows XP laptop is still running perfectly.

Michael

PS: Whatever you do: make sure to get an SSD hard drive and at least 6 GB of RAM. That will make more difference than pretty much anything else.

PPS: If you do get a Mac, remember not to buy your extra RAM from Apple. They sell exactly the same stuff but 3 times as expensive as anywhere else.

[Edited at 2013-03-05 14:28 GMT]
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Why? Mar 5, 2013

juliette_K wrote:
you might want to edit your post for better page visualization

It looks perfect to me. On a 27" iMac, full-screen, of course…

Cheers,

Hans

Lotte Bulckens
Lotte Bulckens  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In love with Mac... Mar 5, 2013

Hello all,

Thanks for your interesting replies

I can see most of you are completely in love with Mac...
I'll let you know what my heart (and brains) decide(s) to do in the end
Thanks again!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
PC every time Mar 5, 2013

I second Michael's comments about PCs. I don't particularly like Microsoft or Windows, especially since they changed the Office interface post-XP, but PCs are standardised, generally compatible with the software I use and cheaper than Mac.

PS: I'd ask myself why I was considering a Mac in the first place. If it was because they look cool, or all my friends had one, I wouldn't see these as serious reasons. Also, use of macs seems to be more widespread in France than here in Spain, an
... See more
I second Michael's comments about PCs. I don't particularly like Microsoft or Windows, especially since they changed the Office interface post-XP, but PCs are standardised, generally compatible with the software I use and cheaper than Mac.

PS: I'd ask myself why I was considering a Mac in the first place. If it was because they look cool, or all my friends had one, I wouldn't see these as serious reasons. Also, use of macs seems to be more widespread in France than here in Spain, and I've had compatibility issues before when working with documents created on Macs from French sources...

[Edited at 2013-03-05 15:31 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Clarification Mar 5, 2013

Lotte Bulckens wrote:

I can see most of you are completely in love with Mac...

Let me make myself quite clear: I think Macs are great for everything EXCEPT translation, at least the way I work, due to the compatibility issues I mentioned earlier. If possible, I'd recommend having both a PC and a Mac if you can afford it.

Zuzka Benesova
Zuzka Benesova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2012)
English to Czech
complementary question Mar 5, 2013

Meta Arkadia wrote:

And forget about Trados and things.

I have been using MacBookPro for about 3 years now and would not go back, either. Very happy with it, no need for any fixes so far.

However, I am thinking of (finally) buying a CAT tool now. My first choice would be Trados, but I am reluctant to run Windows in order to be able to use Trados. (Have tried parallels desktop and was not very happy).

The CafeTran UI looks great in your picture. Do I get it right - can you process SDL formats in CT without having Trados?

Sorry for a dumb question

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Yep Mar 5, 2013

Zuzka Benesova wrote:Do I get it right - can you process SDL formats in CT without having Trados? Sorry for a dumb question

Yes. that is YES. And it's not a dumb question, but the answer is still yes.
Cheers,

Hans

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
€ 80 Mar 5, 2013

Zuzka Benesova wrote:
The CafeTran UI looks great in your picture. Do I get it right - can you process SDL formats in CT without having Trados?

By the way, did I mention the most feature-rich CAT tool only costs eighty bucks? European bucks that is. You are not going to believe this. http://cafetran4mac.blogspot.com/

Cheers,

Hans (who is not financially or otherwise involved in CafeTran, which is probably a good thing)

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How is your translation experience working with Mac?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »