Maria Belarra
Maria Belarra  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:58
French to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 16, 2004

Hello all,

Yesterday Netscape (7.1) began to fail. It opened, and let me see my mail list, but when I tried to read a message or open a new tab, it crashed.

I've tried anything I could think of. I have checked preferences, removed cookies, restarted the programme, the computer, and finally re-installed Netscape, this time version 7.2. However, it keeps crashing (although maybe a little later -it stays o
... See more
Hello all,

Yesterday Netscape (7.1) began to fail. It opened, and let me see my mail list, but when I tried to read a message or open a new tab, it crashed.

I've tried anything I could think of. I have checked preferences, removed cookies, restarted the programme, the computer, and finally re-installed Netscape, this time version 7.2. However, it keeps crashing (although maybe a little later -it stays open for a few minutes)

I'm using Internet Explorer to keep going, but I don't like it, and I would really appreciate any help to make Netscape work again.

Thank you
Collapse

Nazim Aziz Gokdemir
Nazim Aziz Gokdemir  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:58
English to Turkish
+ ...
Delete the history file Sep 16, 2004

Don't just "Clear history" from within the program; find the file and delete it. I haven't done it in a while, but I think the extension is .hst. That's always worked for me. A new one will be generated when you restart the program; you'll lose all your site-visit memory, but at least your program will run. (To be on the safe side, back up the file before you do this.)

If you use Netscape for your email and your mail folders seem out of whack, delete the Inbox.snm file. (DO NOT dele
... See more
Don't just "Clear history" from within the program; find the file and delete it. I haven't done it in a while, but I think the extension is .hst. That's always worked for me. A new one will be generated when you restart the program; you'll lose all your site-visit memory, but at least your program will run. (To be on the safe side, back up the file before you do this.)

If you use Netscape for your email and your mail folders seem out of whack, delete the Inbox.snm file. (DO NOT delete the file called "Inbox," the one with no extension, you'll lose your messages!)

Inbox.snm is the indexing file telling your messages how to behave. A clean one will be generated the next time you run the program. (Again, to be on the safe side, back up the file before you do this.)

By the way, you may want to switch to Mozilla Firefox. It's Netscape without all the hair-pulling hassles. Once in a while it fails to display an IE-friendly page correctly, in which case you can run IE.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

--

Didn't notice you had a Mac, sorry. Obviously the extension tips won't work for identification in your case. Maybe someone can identify the Mac versions of the history and mail-indexing files for you, should you decide to follow my advice.

Aziz

[Edited at 2004-09-16 12:32]
Collapse

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
troubleshooting: corrupt preferences file or .msf files? Sep 16, 2004

Hi Maria,

Don't know much about Macintosh, but this site may be helpful (it refers to Netscape 6, but if you're having trouble with mail crashes, its suggestions might help):

http://cfm.gs.washington.edu/email/netscape6/

Troubleshooting

A problem often seen with Netscape 6 are startup crashes, or crashes when starting up the mail client. T
... See more
Hi Maria,

Don't know much about Macintosh, but this site may be helpful (it refers to Netscape 6, but if you're having trouble with mail crashes, its suggestions might help):

http://cfm.gs.washington.edu/email/netscape6/

Troubleshooting

A problem often seen with Netscape 6 are startup crashes, or crashes when starting up the mail client. These are usually due to preference file corruption, usually resulting from frequent Netscape or Operating System crashes.

To fix startup crashes, try locating the Netscape preferences file, which will be hidden somewhere under the user profile directory. For example, on Mac OS X, delete the ~/Library/Mozilla/Profiles/default/*.slt/prefs.js file, or open that file up in a text editor and see if the corruption is visible and removable. Any custom preferences stored prefs.js will have to be set again once Netscape is restarted.

Mail crashes can be caused by corrupt *.msf files under the user profile directory. These files can be safely deleted, as Netscape will rebuild them the next time it visits the mailbox in question.
Collapse

CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Local time: 09:58
Japanese to English
+ ...
You might also change browsers... Sep 16, 2004

I work with both Mac and Windows environments, and have found the Mozilla browsers to be the sleekest, most customizable, and user-friendliest out there. And they're all freeware and not ad supported, so it can't hurt to check them out.

You might check out the cross-platform Mozilla, Firefox, or the Mac-only Camino. I have never used Netscape, but I believe that you can import all of your user information into at least Mozilla. T
... See more
I work with both Mac and Windows environments, and have found the Mozilla browsers to be the sleekest, most customizable, and user-friendliest out there. And they're all freeware and not ad supported, so it can't hurt to check them out.

You might check out the cross-platform Mozilla, Firefox, or the Mac-only Camino. I have never used Netscape, but I believe that you can import all of your user information into at least Mozilla. The site (http://www.mozilla.org/) just underwent a major overhaul and I only have Firefox on this system so I can't be entirely sure, but it might be worth checking out.

In any case, I think that Firefox may well be the only browser worth having for translators, with its built-in, customizable search bar. You can even add your own search sites! (http://mycroft.mozdev.org/download.html)

Good luck
Collapse

Ruben Berrozpe (X)
Ruben Berrozpe (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Opera, Safari Sep 16, 2004

Hi Maria,
If you're a Mac user, why don't you try Safari? It's a wonderful browser and much more streamlined with the OS than any other (specially Netscape, which I've never liked... well, yes, some 8 years ago I used to love it).
In a PC, I stick with Opera. It's my favourite, very customizable, solid and friendly. The opposite to IE, actually

Rb

Maria Belarra
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you!! Sep 16, 2004

I saw the general advice was: change browser!!!

Right now I'm writing using Opera (thanks, Rubén ) I deleted the history and made Netscape work for.. half an hour?, and I couldn't help feeling uncomfortable working with Internet Explorer.

I will certainly give a try to Safari and Mozilla; Opera seems easy and user friendly, however, and has the tab system that made me like Netscape.

Thanks
... See more
I saw the general advice was: change browser!!!

Right now I'm writing using Opera (thanks, Rubén ) I deleted the history and made Netscape work for.. half an hour?, and I couldn't help feeling uncomfortable working with Internet Explorer.

I will certainly give a try to Safari and Mozilla; Opera seems easy and user friendly, however, and has the tab system that made me like Netscape.

Thanks, everyone, for your advice.
Collapse

Maria Belarra
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In case you want to give it a try... Sep 16, 2004

www.opera.com

It's free, of course

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
One thing worth noting... Sep 17, 2004

Mozilla is a spiritual descendant of Netscape, so you will it very familiar with a lot less problems. In fact, during installation, it has recognized most of my Netscape settings and bookmarks automatically, so I could start working right away.

This product is open source, which means it is free, constantly monitored for bugs and often upgraded. I am very happy that I may use it, as I've been using Netscape almost from its start (well, I _think_ I switched from Mosaic around 1995;
... See more
Mozilla is a spiritual descendant of Netscape, so you will it very familiar with a lot less problems. In fact, during installation, it has recognized most of my Netscape settings and bookmarks automatically, so I could start working right away.

This product is open source, which means it is free, constantly monitored for bugs and often upgraded. I am very happy that I may use it, as I've been using Netscape almost from its start (well, I _think_ I switched from Mosaic around 1995; anyone remembers Mosaic?)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Netscape Navigator keeps crashing

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »