Using a Mac in Brazil - Support available?
Thread poster: skport
skport
skport  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:39
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Oct 1, 2004

Hello,

I am considering switching from pc laptop to mac ibook soon. I am currently living in the uk, but will be moving to Brazil in May 2005.

My question is, how easy is it in Brazil to find support, hardware, etc for the mac? And, most importantly, do broadband providers in Brazil let you use MAC OS?

I am pretty sure Mac would be better for me, but my query is whether it is better to have a pc in Brazil - I will be in the Northeast, and as far as I know t
... See more
Hello,

I am considering switching from pc laptop to mac ibook soon. I am currently living in the uk, but will be moving to Brazil in May 2005.

My question is, how easy is it in Brazil to find support, hardware, etc for the mac? And, most importantly, do broadband providers in Brazil let you use MAC OS?

I am pretty sure Mac would be better for me, but my query is whether it is better to have a pc in Brazil - I will be in the Northeast, and as far as I know there is no official mac supplier in the region.

I would really appreciate comments on experience from anyone in Brazil who uses a mac for translation work.

Thanks.
Collapse

Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
Local time: 22:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some online data from Mac Oct 1, 2004

Apple Brazil here:

http://www.info.apple.com/brpt/

Services centers in Brazil:

http://www.latinamerica.apple.com/service/br/

Select state, then choose town and will list service centers.

It's a start. Cheers
P

Claudio Chagas (X)
Claudio Chagas (X)
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You can bring your Mac to Brazil. Oct 1, 2004

Hi Sarah,

I'm a Mac user and so far I had no major problems with my iBook here and I never took it to a support centre. It's a rubust machine indeed. There are Apple Stores in the main centres and other Apple dealers that hold Macs. The brand is already stablished among designers and within publishing houses, and its gaining in popularity with the general public. As fas as Internet providers and broadband access, it's not a problem iether. Most broadband providers will have software
... See more
Hi Sarah,

I'm a Mac user and so far I had no major problems with my iBook here and I never took it to a support centre. It's a rubust machine indeed. There are Apple Stores in the main centres and other Apple dealers that hold Macs. The brand is already stablished among designers and within publishing houses, and its gaining in popularity with the general public. As fas as Internet providers and broadband access, it's not a problem iether. Most broadband providers will have software for the Mac (when needed) to allow connection to the Internet. If you know what you are doing and look for advice from the right sources, not assuming that people know what they are saying, as most PC helpdesk people have no clue as to how Macs work and how simple it really is to resolve your problem. The information and the resources you need are all available. It may take just some effort and persistace in finding your way. Bay they way, I bought my Mac in the United States, used it for nearly two years in England and brought it with me to Brazil. It worked fine in all those places. You might need an European adaptor at Argos to be able to use the power sockets in Brazil, which are like in Europe. But that's a minor detail. Alternatively, before buying your Mac you can order both types of adaptors to come with your computer.

Hope that helped.

Cheers,

Claudio
Collapse

skport
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 2, 2004

Thanks very much for your comments/resources - much appreciated!

All the best, Sarah

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:39
German to Spanish
Rio's standard is not everywhere in Brasil Oct 3, 2004

Claudio Chagas wrote:

Hi Sarah,

I'm a Mac user and so far I had no major problems with my iBook here .... You might need an European adaptor at Argos to be able to use the power sockets in Brazil, which are like in Europe. .

Cheers,

Claudio

Hi Claudio, are you speaking about Rio or about Brasil?

"O Nordeste" is a kind different and remember that in some parts the plugs are thinner than in Europe! but for Laptop adapters is no problem.

A problem that I see is that an iBook is beautifull...and easy to "lose".
When I travel a take a older one.

Regards

Claudio Chagas (X)
Claudio Chagas (X)
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
From Rio Oct 4, 2004

Toledo wrote:

Cheers,

Claudio

Hi Claudio, are you speaking about Rio or about Brasil?

"O Nordeste" is a kind different and remember that in some parts the plugs are thinner than in Europe! but for Laptop adapters is no problem.

A problem that I see is that an iBook is beautifull...and easy to "lose".
When I travel a take a older one.

Regards[/quote]

That's no problem. Most shops in the UK will advise as to what is the best option. She could get an universal adaptor, which has many options, and even where the plugs are thinner there will be options for different shapes. But nothing like the standard fat plugs that you use in the UK. Anyway, plugwise things are easier to sort than other campatibilities issues, such as dial up modem and other network compatibility issues. I've tried all and there's always a way to get you connected and running. It's true that the northern parts of Brazil are the poorest in the country, but the capital Recife (if that's where Sarah is going to settle) seems to be well resourced with all the commodities of a modern city.

Thanks for the feedback Toledo.

Cheers,

Claudio

skport
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bahia actually Oct 6, 2004

Thanks for your comments, Claudio.

Actually I am not going as far North as Recife. I am not going to be in a city at all - will be in small town in Bahia, about 5 hours drive from Salvador. It is small but very touristic and broadband is already common for pc's (via satelite, I think).

Toledo, thanks for your comments on the ibook being beautiful and therefore easy to 'lose'. As it happens, I did used to have an ibook, which I now wish I had not sold, and I travelled a
... See more
Thanks for your comments, Claudio.

Actually I am not going as far North as Recife. I am not going to be in a city at all - will be in small town in Bahia, about 5 hours drive from Salvador. It is small but very touristic and broadband is already common for pc's (via satelite, I think).

Toledo, thanks for your comments on the ibook being beautiful and therefore easy to 'lose'. As it happens, I did used to have an ibook, which I now wish I had not sold, and I travelled a lot in the past with it in my rucksack. I think having any laptop is inviting to thieves, and the ibook is certainly more eyecatching, but also lighter and smaller, and maybe easier to conceal or put away in a drawer.

Anyway, following your comments I have decided to wait and see if a good deal to buy an ibook comes up for me, and in the meantime put up with my pc.

all the best.
Collapse

Claudio Chagas (X)
Claudio Chagas (X)
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Connecting via satelite Oct 7, 2004

Sarah Kersley wrote:

It is small but very touristic and broadband is already common for pc\'s (via satelite, I think).

all the best.

Whatever the means boradband is made available to your laptop, I\'m sure the ways o convert the signal to computers will be the same both for Macs or PCs. If it\'s via satelite, Why don\'t you try to contact the company what provides this service?! They should be able to help.

Try this site: http://www.abusar.org/provedores.html

It lists all the main broadband Internet providers in Brazil, and there\'s a section on connecting via satelite.

Best of luck,

Claudio

skport
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Oct 12, 2004

Thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using a Mac in Brazil - Support available?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »