Jillian Pandor
Jillian Pandor
United States
Local time: 20:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 21, 2013

Hi everyone!

I'm looking to buy a new computer and I wanted to get some feedback...especially from a Trados 2011 point of view.

Are there any of you out there that have a Mac computer and use a Windows operating system on your Mac to run Trados? (Possibly with a partition or parallels...etc.)

I am actually a Mac user myself and I run Trados on a virtual machine which isn't going so well for me. I went to a store to look into computers and was pretty surpri
... See more
Hi everyone!

I'm looking to buy a new computer and I wanted to get some feedback...especially from a Trados 2011 point of view.

Are there any of you out there that have a Mac computer and use a Windows operating system on your Mac to run Trados? (Possibly with a partition or parallels...etc.)

I am actually a Mac user myself and I run Trados on a virtual machine which isn't going so well for me. I went to a store to look into computers and was pretty surprised to hear the salesman saying that the best Windows computer is a Mac.

The guy mentioned that I could partition the hard drive (which I did know) and that it has much greater capabilities than most other Windows computers (especially when looking into all-in-one computers...that is, everything in the monitor, no tower needed).

Anyway, I would love to get some feedback on this topic...because we all know a new Mac can be a pretty hefty investment!!

I found this article on the top...but would love some insight on this topic: http://www.zdnet.com/want-the-most-reliable-windows-pc-buy-a-mac-or-maybe-a-dell-7000014469/

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing some opinions on this!

Jillian
Collapse

Yuri Radcev
Yuri Radcev  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:52
English to Russian
+ ...
bootcamp assistant Jul 21, 2013

using Boot Camp Assistant utility you can easily install Windows as a second OS. it runs excellent on Mac.
the only trouble I am facing is the one with the Magic Mouse - the Windows does not "see" it, so I have to connect an ordinary one whilst on the Win side.

[Редактировалось 2013-07-21 03:03 GMT]

[Редактировалось 2013-07-21 04:20 GMT]

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:52
Russian to English
+ ...
I would use Windows for anything related to translation, or Jul 21, 2013

writing. I am a big Windows fan. I like Mac but only for graphic design, videos,movies and songs. Even typing seems somewhat weird on Mac.

Andreas Kobell
Andreas Kobell  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Long-term value Jul 21, 2013

Totally agree that it's a hefty investment, however, when you buy a Mac - either an iMac or a MacBook or even a Mac mini, which is the cheapest option if you already have a monitor and keyboard - you will have that a long time and will not be forced to buy a new device every two or three years. Used to work on a Dell notebook when I started out in the business and had to buy 2 machines within 5 years due to various hardware problems.

My MacBook Pro is 5 years old now and runs smoot
... See more
Totally agree that it's a hefty investment, however, when you buy a Mac - either an iMac or a MacBook or even a Mac mini, which is the cheapest option if you already have a monitor and keyboard - you will have that a long time and will not be forced to buy a new device every two or three years. Used to work on a Dell notebook when I started out in the business and had to buy 2 machines within 5 years due to various hardware problems.

My MacBook Pro is 5 years old now and runs smoothly as ever, only suffered a couple of scratches on the outside due to heavy daily use. Never had a system crash, never had to call the help desk. Though I'm not exactly an Apple aficionado, I will never switch back to a Windows based machine.

I'm using Trados Studio 2011 via Parallels for 2 years now and never had a problem there. Of course, you could install Windows on the bootcamp partition and run Trados there. But in this setup you would have to restart the machine every time you wanted to switch from the Windows to the Mac "side". Apart from that, the advantage of this setup is an ultra fast Windows "PC" when you are on the bootcamp partition, just as that salesman said.

Or you simply add a bit of RAM when you order your Mac or opt for an SSD drive. Both options will boost the speed of your machine, so working under Windows via Parallels would not feel like being on a virtual machine in the first place.
Collapse

Jacques DP
Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 01:52
English to French
Really? Jul 21, 2013

Andreas Kobell wrote:

I'm using Trados Studio 2011 via Parallels for 2 years now and never had a problem there.

Never, really? Isn't this a bit of an exaggeration?
For example, I have had frequent applications switching issues with Parallels. I have had keyboard issues as well (e.g. finding out how to enter shortcuts with an Insert key). I have had problems with Dropbox and clean up interaction.
I like it, but I find it a bit strange when people say that using Parallels in Mac they have NO problem.

That being said, I myself originally bought an iMac for its hardware (quality all-in-one), planning to use Bootcamp. Then I decided to use Parallels and I am happy with it. One nagging issue for me is the difference between standard keyboard shortcuts between Windows and OS X. You need to remember which type of application you use and use the correct shortcuts. So it's not as automatic as it used to be.

John Tysome
John Tysome
Japan
Local time: 09:52
Member (2009)
Japanese to English
Running Trados in a Virtual Machine Jul 21, 2013

As long as you have a fairly decent CPU (quad core i-series), an SSD and at least 8 GB of memory, you should have no performance issues with running Trados 2011 on Windows 7 in a Virtual Machine (Parallels is good) on OS X.

One thing to bear in mind when buying from Apple is they price gouge all hard drive and memory upgrades. If you have a Mac mini or non-retina MacBook Pro you can upgrade the hard drive and memory yourself quite easily, and quite cheaply (see iFixit website for in
... See more
As long as you have a fairly decent CPU (quad core i-series), an SSD and at least 8 GB of memory, you should have no performance issues with running Trados 2011 on Windows 7 in a Virtual Machine (Parallels is good) on OS X.

One thing to bear in mind when buying from Apple is they price gouge all hard drive and memory upgrades. If you have a Mac mini or non-retina MacBook Pro you can upgrade the hard drive and memory yourself quite easily, and quite cheaply (see iFixit website for installation instructions).

Current example:
Apple upgrade to 500 GB SSD = $700
Samsung 500 GB SSD = $330
Apple upgrade to 8 GB memory = $100
Corsair 8 GB memory = $60
Apple upgrade to 16 GB memory = $300
Corsair 16 GB memory = $110

So, no need to use Bootcamp. Yes, you need an SSD and at least 8 GB of memory.

The main problem I have come across with a VM setup is Shift-character key mapping between the Mac keyboard and the Windows environment. You could probably dig into Windows preferences and use third-party key-mapping software to fix it, but it's not been a real problem for me. Don't know anything about the "Dropbox and clean up interaction." problems mentioned by Jacques, but he seems to have solved the problem in a recent thread on this forum.

[Edited at 2013-07-21 22:28 GMT]
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 07:52
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Pur sang Jul 21, 2013

There's no need for Windows on a Mac (anymore).

Cheers,

Hans

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Me too Jul 22, 2013

LilianBNekipelo wrote:

...I like Mac but only for graphic design, videos,movies and songs. Even typing seems somewhat weird on Mac.

Same here. Macs are great, but not for translating, unless you have a pet geek to hand to help out. Windows is still the easiest and most compatible to work with, warts and all. And VMs are a hassle.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 07:52
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Did you ever try? Jul 22, 2013

neilmac wrote:
Macs are great, but not for translating

I'm a Mac since 1987. When I started translating in 1194, I was forced to use Windows. I continued using a Mac for everything else. I've been using CAT tools (DejaVu) since 1997. In 2010, I finally switched to Mac only. I never looked back. Superior in everything.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2013-07-22 08:54 GMT]

Jacques DP
Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to French
Sort of Jul 22, 2013

John Tysome wrote:

Don't know anything about the "Dropbox and clean up interaction." problems mentioned by Jacques, but he seems to have solved the problem in a recent thread on this forum.

True, but at the cost of running two instances of Dropbox at the same time and storing my data in both file sytems, which in turn adds complexity and has its own potential problems. (Still using this setup now, and it works mostly smoothly.)

By the way the clean up problem was with Trados 2007 (which I'm forced to use for one client), not Studio 2011. I use Studio 2009 in Parallels and never had that problem.

A nice week to everyone.

wilhelm_zwo (X)
wilhelm_zwo (X)
Netherlands
German to Dutch
Dropbox on the Windows and on the Mac side Jul 26, 2013

Jacques DP wrote:

True, but at the cost of running two instances of Dropbox at the same time and storing my data in both file sytems, which in turn adds complexity and has its own potential problems. (Still using this setup now, and it works mostly smoothly.)

Didn't read that thread, but here is how I do it:

1. Dropbox for Windows in Parallels, c:\dropbox\prj
2. Dropbox for Mac on the Mac side, /Users/Name/Dropbox/
3. Log in to 1.
4. Send share invitation to 2.

Alan Halls
Alan Halls  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Mac vs. Windows PC - really no problem Jul 26, 2013

Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone.
When I saw this discussion, I felt I had to put my oar in. Two and a half years ago, I threw out my Win machine and leased a 27" Mac. This year I replaced it with a new 27" Mac. I run Win 7 in a Parallels VM and constantly have to swap between the two worlds. My CAT tool of choice is Transit NXT, which is a Win application. I must say, I punish my computers and make them work for me, so I opted for a powerful configuration: i7 processor, 32 GB of R
... See more
Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone.
When I saw this discussion, I felt I had to put my oar in. Two and a half years ago, I threw out my Win machine and leased a 27" Mac. This year I replaced it with a new 27" Mac. I run Win 7 in a Parallels VM and constantly have to swap between the two worlds. My CAT tool of choice is Transit NXT, which is a Win application. I must say, I punish my computers and make them work for me, so I opted for a powerful configuration: i7 processor, 32 GB of RAM, which I split 50:50 between the Mac and the VM. An essential tool, in my opinion, is a full-sized keyboard (cable connection) rather than the more "sexy" bluetooth toy, which doesn't have half the keys I need. There are issues with shortcuts and working out how to do, for example, ALT-INS (essential in Transit for every segment), but there are ways either to get round the problem (Parallels allows keyboard mapping) or experimenting to find the "right" combination. ALT+INS on the Mac keyboard, btw, is ALT+Zero on the numeric keypad. That zero also works in Mac apps to toggle INS/overwrite.
OK, so why did I change? I got so fed up with every Win PC I have ever had (starting in 1989) having some hardware problem sometime, crashing, being too slow etc.... Since we have been using Macs (we have three altogether, all running Parallels) there have been absolutely ZERO technical problems. They are fast, reliable and the extra expense is definitely worth it, unless you like opening boxes and playing mechanic. Apple have leasing offers (here in Germany, anyway) that make it easier to finance the purchase. At the end of the last lease, we paid a small fee to buy the machines outright. I do actually like Win 7 - it's the best Windows Microsoft has ever produced. And I need it for Transit and a few other specials, but we now run Microsoft Office for Mac rather than the Win version. There are definitely some annoying issues about the Mac OS, such as not being able to do right-click-new-txt file or new Word document etc. in Finder windows. And not having drive letters. I really don't know why Apple hasn't found a way to implement that! But I still have my Win 7 if I need to do that. By the way, in Parallels we use the "Coherence" view which takes a bit of getting used to but is worth it. Also, setting up multiple virtual screens in a grid (I use TotalSpaces for this as Mac OS does not do it quite the way I like it) is a nice feature of the Mac (but possibly available as an add-in on native Windows as well??). Anyway, here endeth the lesson. If you want me to go into more detail, or continue rabbiting, just let me know!
Collapse

wilhelm_zwo (X)
wilhelm_zwo (X)
Netherlands
German to Dutch
Transit on a Mac Jul 26, 2013

Did you know that CafeTran can process Transit files? I do it all the time. CafeTran is Java (not native Mac) but Java requires much less overhead than Parallels Desktop. I've completely replaced Transit NXT with CafeTran. The only thing I do in Transit is: verify and pack. Note that the filter for Transit is superb but the handling of packages hasn't been implemented yet. Please contact me for that. You can assign 25 GB to Java (that is to your CAT tool), leaving 5 GB for ML.

CafeT
... See more
Did you know that CafeTran can process Transit files? I do it all the time. CafeTran is Java (not native Mac) but Java requires much less overhead than Parallels Desktop. I've completely replaced Transit NXT with CafeTran. The only thing I do in Transit is: verify and pack. Note that the filter for Transit is superb but the handling of packages hasn't been implemented yet. Please contact me for that. You can assign 25 GB to Java (that is to your CAT tool), leaving 5 GB for ML.

CafeTran also processes Studio, Wordfast, memoQ, Déjà Vu projects.

As to drive letters, did you have a look at ForkLift or muCommander (Java, free)? Perhaps these NortonCommander/TotalCommander equivalents suit your needs?

Regarding the creation of new files from the Finder, please have a look at:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/34606/neu

and the alternatives suggested there.

Please also read:
http://superuser.com/questions/14118/easiest-way-to-create-a-new-text-file-in-a-finder-window-on-osx
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:52
Member (2008)
Italian to English
And.... Jul 26, 2013

Andreas Kobell wrote:

Totally agree that it's a hefty investment, however, when you buy a Mac - either an iMac or a MacBook or even a Mac mini, which is the cheapest option if you already have a monitor and keyboard - you will have that a long time and will not be forced to buy a new device every two or three years.

... and with a bit of ordinary TLC you will never need a "computer technician" to come and fix your computer. That saves you a lot of money and a lot of time. So before you conclude that a Mac is more expensive than a PC, you should do the whole calculation !

But if you go for a Mac, wait until September. Apple is in the habit of launching new products in August.

[Edited at 2013-07-26 11:13 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:52
Member (2008)
Italian to English
How old are you? Jul 26, 2013

Meta Arkadia wrote:

neilmac wrote:
Macs are great, but not for translating

I'm a Mac since 1987. When I started translating in 1194, I was forced to use Windows. I continued using a Mac for everything else. I've been using CAT tools (DejaVu) since 1997. In 2010, I finally switched to Mac only. I never looked back. Superior in everything.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2013-07-22 08:54 GMT]

You started translating in 1194? Wow. You have a LOT of experience.

[Edited at 2013-07-26 14:01 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows or Mac?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »