Best integrated CAT tool written in Java?
Thread poster: wilhelm_zwo (X)
wilhelm_zwo (X)
wilhelm_zwo (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 05:39
German to Dutch
Aug 28, 2013

What would be the best CAT tool that is written in Java, in terms of integration in OS X? Also relevant here is the Aqua look and feel.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Antonio F. L (X)
Antonio F. L (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
OmegaT Aug 30, 2013

That's the best I know at least

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:39
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
What do you mean? Aug 30, 2013

wilhelm_zwo wrote:

What would be the best CAT tool that is written in Java, in terms of integration in OS X?

What do you mean? A Java program is a Java program, it knows nothing about OS X, it just runs in the JRE, and “integration” (whatever you mean using this word) entirely depends on the JRE.

wilhelm_zwo (X)
wilhelm_zwo (X)
Netherlands
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
What I mean Aug 30, 2013

What I mean is this:

Which CAT tool imitates OS X the best. Even so good that you wouldn't notice that you're not using a native Cocoa app. File Open/Save dialogues, keyboard shortcuts etc. should just be like in a real Aqua app (say, Textedit).

See, for instance, how Windows programs are disguised as OS X apps with Parallels Desktop 9: http://youtu.be/Copuyw_qQdA.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:39
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@esperantisto: Aug 30, 2013

One way a Java program 'integrates' well or poorly with a host OS can be seen in a program's open/save dialogues. There are various Java UI frameworks available (Swing, AWT, SwingX, JGoodies, etc.), but some of them integrate better than others with the file system of the host OS. For example, some of them can't be navigated as comfortably on a Windows computer as the native Windows open and save dialogues.

I don't know which of them is better on OS X though because I run CafeTran
... See more
One way a Java program 'integrates' well or poorly with a host OS can be seen in a program's open/save dialogues. There are various Java UI frameworks available (Swing, AWT, SwingX, JGoodies, etc.), but some of them integrate better than others with the file system of the host OS. For example, some of them can't be navigated as comfortably on a Windows computer as the native Windows open and save dialogues.

I don't know which of them is better on OS X though because I run CafeTran on Windows 8 64-bit myself.

Michael

PS: one way to test which Java CAT tool is best integrated with OS X would therefore be to try to open/save files in various different Java CATs.

[Edited at 2013-08-30 10:19 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-08-30 14:44 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best integrated CAT tool written in Java?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »