Luise Krahmer
Luise Krahmer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:55
German to English
+ ...
Oct 17, 2004

Dear ones,

since some weeks I consider to 'switch', as it seems to be called, from a MS Windows PC to a Apple computer.

So I hope some of you have experience with this topic.
Is it possible to run Trados and wordfast with OS X or another Aplle OS? Is it neccessary to run a MS system on one partition? Or is it a must to have both on two computers, Mac and Windows?
Some CAT tools have dongels.
Can dongles been connected to Apple computers?
<
... See more
Dear ones,

since some weeks I consider to 'switch', as it seems to be called, from a MS Windows PC to a Apple computer.

Is it possible to run Trados and wordfast with OS X or another Aplle OS? Is it neccessary to run a MS system on one partition? Or is it a must to have both on two computers, Mac and Windows?

Thank you very much!!!

Best regards,

Luise
Collapse

Vincent Knobil
Vincent Knobil
France
English to French
CAT Tools on OS X Oct 17, 2004

WordFast works on Word for OS X.

MS Office is 99.99% compatible Mac-Win. I have never had a compatibility problem, but I'll leave that 0.01 % difference just in case

PC CAT tools can be run on Virtual PC, a Software PC emulator that's slower than a real PC but usable. It has some advantages over a real PC though (like being able to save and restore your working environment between reboots).

D
... See more

MS Office is 99.99% compatible Mac-Win. I have never had a compatibility problem, but I'll leave that 0.01 % difference just in case

PC CAT tools can be run on Virtual PC, a Software PC emulator that's slower than a real PC but usable. It has some advantages over a real PC though (like being able to save and restore your working environment between reboots).

Dongles (USB) work fine in Virtual PC.

If you still have your PC and it is running à "pro" MS OS (XP Pro, 2000 Server etc.) There is a free Microsoft application for OS X called "Remote Desktop Connection" that let's you control your PC 100% from a window on your Mac. You can hide your ugly PC in a closet and forget about it

Personally, I don't use a "real PC" at all and get by on my OS X box just fine. Never missed a deadline, and nobody (until now) has been the wiser

Luise Krahmer wrote:

Dear ones,

Thank you very much!!!

Best regards,

Luise
Collapse

Vincent Knobil
Vincent Knobil
France
English to French
One more thing Oct 17, 2004

There are some Mac OS-specific CAT Tools such as AppleGlot and PowerGlot, though geared towards software translation. AppleGlot pretty much "invented" translation memories over 10 years ago, even though it is behind the times now, and of course is only usable on Mac projects.

-v

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:55
English to Spanish
CAT for Mac OS X Oct 17, 2004

Hi,

You can try Heartsome XLIFF Translation Editor. It is a Java based tool that works very well on OS X.

Get the free LITE version from http://www.heartsome.net and request a trial of the full version if you like it.

Cheers,
Rodolfo

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
Apple compatible CAT tools Oct 17, 2004

There is one review of WordFast for Mac, as well as one for PC, listed at my translation technology review page (http://www.geocities.com/langtecheval/). Different people did the reviews.

Jeff

Jeff Allen
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/

Vincent Knobil wrote:

Luise Krahmer wrote:

Dear ones,

Thank you very much!!!

Best regards,

Luise

Delio Destro
Delio Destro  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:55
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I can't see the percentage Oct 17, 2004

I did the “change” once. It is ludicrous. Unless you are in graphics I don’t see why anybody would move from the “everything works with everything” world to the “it might, maybe, perhaps, you can try this, you can try that, There was once a program…” world.

I can even understand Linux, since it is, to some extent, free. But Macs and everything Mac is more expensive. In today’s world when you can buy a quality Dell PC for under 1000 dollars, Macs are just nerdy too
... See more
I did the “change” once. It is ludicrous. Unless you are in graphics I don’t see why anybody would move from the “everything works with everything” world to the “it might, maybe, perhaps, you can try this, you can try that, There was once a program…” world.

I can even understand Linux, since it is, to some extent, free. But Macs and everything Mac is more expensive. In today’s world when you can buy a quality Dell PC for under 1000 dollars, Macs are just nerdy tools not meant for regular people. Why bother?!!

And remember: Mac was going down the tubes until Microsoft bailed it out a few years back. Today they make more money on iPods and music licensing. Some focus.

My take? don’t do it.
Delio
Collapse

Claudio Chagas (X)
Claudio Chagas (X)
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Do it! Oct 17, 2004

Hi Luise,

Wordfast is the best option for the Mac OS X so far. And if you want to go an extra mile there's the option to run Trados using Virtual PC, but I don't think it's worth your while since you can use Wordfast.

This topic was discussed before at http://www.proz.com/post/172126#172126

Cheers,

Claudio

Vincent Knobil
Vincent Knobil
France
English to French
CAT Tools on OS X Oct 17, 2004

Won't get into a platform war here. Going to the Mac certainly complicates things somewhat, in that it is always a bit difficult to be in the minority. But nothing insurmountable.

And if you spend your life in front of a computer, then little things start making a huge difference. Like no spyware, malware, viruses, a crash-proof UNIX OS (maybe one OS crash every 3 months), and hundreds of tiny little ease-of-use details that make life much, much, easier than under Windows. That's w
... See more
Won't get into a platform war here. Going to the Mac certainly complicates things somewhat, in that it is always a bit difficult to be in the minority. But nothing insurmountable.

And if you spend your life in front of a computer, then little things start making a huge difference. Like no spyware, malware, viruses, a crash-proof UNIX OS (maybe one OS crash every 3 months), and hundreds of tiny little ease-of-use details that make life much, much, easier than under Windows. That's why Mac users love their Macs. They appreciate that little bit of extra effort that went into just about every feature. It makes you feel like the people who make this stuff actually use it and give a ****.

But don't worry, Virtual PC runs real, off-the-shelf copies of any PC OS, so if you long for the Windows way, it's all there.

Finally, while you can spend megabucks on a G5 tower or 17" PowerBook, you can buy a decent Mac for less 800 bucks (eMac) a fine laptop for 1100 (iBook) or a G5 iMac for 1300. When you compare feature for feature with brand name PC's, they are not more expensive (although you have to rebuild your software library which can be).

Still, check out the Apple "switcher" forums. A lot of people who are switching from the windows world discuss their real-world problems getting used to the Mac way. Might be useful.

-v

Delio Destro wrote:

I can even understand Linux, since it is, to some extent, free. But Macs and everything Mac is more expensive. In today’s world when you can buy a quality Dell PC for under 1000 dollars, Macs are just nerdy tools not meant for regular people. Why bother?!!

And remember: Mac was going down the tubes until Microsoft bailed it out a few years back. Today they make more money on iPods and music licensing. Some focus.

My take? don’t do it.
Delio
Collapse

Claudio Chagas (X)
Claudio Chagas (X)
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I back Vincent on that! Oct 17, 2004

Vincent Knobil wrote:

And if you spend your life in front of a computer, then little things start making a huge difference. Like no spyware, malware, viruses, a crash-proof UNIX OS (maybe one OS crash every 3 months), and hundreds of tiny little ease-of-use details that make life much, much, easier than under Windows. That's why Mac users love their Macs. They appreciate that little bit of extra effort that went into just about every feature. It makes you feel like the people who make this stuff actually use it and give a ****.

But don't worry, Virtual PC runs real, off-the-shelf copies of any PC OS, so if you long for the Windows way, it's all there.

I'm a Mac user and so far I had no major problems with my iBook here and I never took it to a repair centre. It's a rubust machine indeed. There are Apple Stores in the main centres and other Apple dealers that hold Macs. The brand is already stablished among designers and among the publishing community, and its gaining in popularity with the general public. As fas as Internet providers and broadband access, it's not a problem iether. Most broadband providers will have software for the Mac (when needed) to allow connection to the Internet. If you know what you are doing and look for advice from the right sources, not assuming that people know what they are saying, as most PC helpdesk people have no clues as to how Macs work and how simple it really is to resolve your problem. The information and the resources you need are all available. It may take just some effort and persistace in finding your way. Bay they way, I bought my Mac in the United States, used it for nearly two years in England and brought it with me to Brazil. It worked fine in all those places.

Delio Destro
Delio Destro  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:55
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Still don't see the percentage Oct 17, 2004

Hey, I never said anything about platform war. I just don't see the margin for translators and writers.

I agree the Mac design is in some areas superior to the PC, but my point is: keep the eye on the ball. If it were better than a PC, smart people at SDL, Trados, IBM, and the other CAT guys would all be crancking code for it.

I am a writer and a translator. My experience tells me Macs are no good for this job. I did the change. And did the change-back. My opinion is: i
... See more
Hey, I never said anything about platform war. I just don't see the margin for translators and writers.

I agree the Mac design is in some areas superior to the PC, but my point is: keep the eye on the ball. If it were better than a PC, smart people at SDL, Trados, IBM, and the other CAT guys would all be crancking code for it.

I am a writer and a translator. My experience tells me Macs are no good for this job. I did the change. And did the change-back. My opinion is: it is not worth the trouble.

Think about it: it is the Mac that has a feature to emulate a Windows PC. Not the other way around. Doesn't that tell you something?

But that is me and I may be wrong.

Delio
Collapse

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Virtual PC 7 Oct 18, 2004

I had tried to install Trados 5 on my G3 via Virtual PC 4 running Windows 98. It didn't work.

I hear it's different now. I'm waiting for the systemless version of Virtual PC 7 to start shipping on November 8 to try again (the versions with XP Professional and XP Home Edition are already available, but I own both, so I don't want to pay for them).

If you're ready to wait a few weeks, I'll tell you exactly how it goes. One thing is certain, though: you'll need a powerfull
... See more
I had tried to install Trados 5 on my G3 via Virtual PC 4 running Windows 98. It didn't work.

I hear it's different now. I'm waiting for the systemless version of Virtual PC 7 to start shipping on November 8 to try again (the versions with XP Professional and XP Home Edition are already available, but I own both, so I don't want to pay for them).

If you're ready to wait a few weeks, I'll tell you exactly how it goes. One thing is certain, though: you'll need a powerfull Mac to do this comfortably (if my experiment on my little G4 works, I intend to get the dual-processor G5 and move all my CAT tools to my Mac).

Incidently, if you only want to use Wordfast, you'll be fine with just any plain Mac. But in case you need to send the TM to a client working on a PC, you need to know that some characters in the TM will turn to weird codes.

Best,
Esther

[Edited at 2004-10-18 00:40]
Collapse

Vincent Knobil
Vincent Knobil
France
English to French
CAT Tools on OS X Oct 18, 2004

Delio Destro wrote:

The reason the "big guns" in CAT don't code for Mac is simple. They figure the Mac has a near-zero market share in the Enterprise, so it's not economically feasible for them to spend the money developing Mac versions. They choose to ignore the high market share of the Mac in many other areas. It doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the platform.

Esther Pfeffer wrote:

[Edited at 2004-10-18 00:40]

Virtual PC 6 & 7 and Trados (6+) work fine, even on G3 Macs (although obviously, the faster the Mac, the better). Most people feel that Windows 2000 is the best MS OS in terms of performance (in general and on VPC). While launching Windows and apps is very slow, once they are launched, performance is fine (again, even on a G3, at least in my experience). Right now, I'm working on 2 big jobs (large TMs, large docs) in Trados with no problems.

Nonetheless, you can probably get away with using Wordfast on most jobs. I'm only just looking into this though, so I may be over-optimistic...

Luise Krahmer
Luise Krahmer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clear statements Oct 18, 2004

Hello all,

first thank you very much for your answers.
It is nice to read about your good experiences with an Apple computers and translation tools. Happily MS software is not out of sight when using a Mac!

Best regards,

Luise

sergey (X)
sergey (X)
Local time: 23:55
Russian to English
+ ...
excuse me?! Oct 18, 2004

Delio Destro wrote:

Think about it: it is the Mac that has a feature to emulate a Windows PC. Not the other way around. Doesn't that tell you something?

But that is me and I may be wrong.

the very 'windows' concept - graphical user interface - was stolen from the MAC OS. it was all in DOS before! which made bill gates the richest man in the world! please have some respect for macs for this alone, now that you know the truth!
no serious printing house or an advertising agency will use your freelance translation services unless you use a mac.
had 3 or 4 PCs before switched to MACs end of 1997 and never ever looked back.
regards,
sergey

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
Please remember that this is a discussion about CAT tools Oct 18, 2004

I've been following this discussion with interest, as my parents have several macs at their house in the UK - which I may end up needing to use.

Whether a translator chooses to use a mac or a PC is entirely up to them. However that's not the subject of this thread. Please let's stay on topic here and not discuss the history or benefits of the two systems.

Thanks!

Alison

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT Tools on OS X?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »