Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
New iMac v latest windows desktops-To Mac or not to Mac?
Thread poster: Sandra Kirley
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:29
Finnish to French
RAM: get as much as you can, but don't buy it from Apple Nov 5, 2013

Tom in London wrote:
Sandra Kirley wrote:
Tom can I ask you what RAM you have on your MAC? I've been advised that 8 GB would be more than enough?

Yes - 8GB is plenty.

My main set-up is a 13" MacBookPro from late 2009, which came with 4GB of RAM. Last year I upped the RAM to 8GB and replaced the hard drive with a bigger, faster one, which more or less gave me a new computer without buying a new computer

While I agree with Tom 8 GB is a lot, RAM is so affordable these days you should get as much of it as you can. Just don't buy it from Apple, as you can get the same elsewhere for a fraction of the price and it's very easy to install yourself (talking about the iMac here).

Have a look at this excellent RAM upgrade video on YouTube. Excerpt (from 0:45 to 0:53):

"...this is a grand total of 160 bucks on Amazon as opposed to 600 dollars on Apple, and no, the RAM isn't some special magical RAM, they're just ripping you on the price..."

Having a lot of RAM at your disposal will be especially useful if you plan to use virtualization software, but it can also come handy for things like video editing etc.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 15:29
English to Indonesian
+ ...
27" only? Nov 5, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:
... and it's very easy to install yourself (talking about the iMac here).

I'm not sure, but I think installing RAM in the 21.5" Mac is still not DIY. Even I could install extra RAM in a 27" iMac, though.
4 GB is enough to run OS X and most Apple software, 8 GB seems to be the minimum to run Parallels and WIN7 or 8. More RAM is better, especially if you use a CAT tool that uses RAM to load databases.

Cheers,

Hans (12GB)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New iMac v latest windows desktops-To Mac or not to Mac?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »