Andrea Cingolani
Andrea Cingolani
Italy
Local time: 15:05
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 23, 2004

I have the opportunity to work with Graphic Arts Industry and Communication Companies.
All these companies use Mac computers whereas I use a Windows PC and so do the people I outsource to.

The problems come when translating a text which has cyrillic fonts, or arabic fonts.
When delivering word file format to these companies they have many problems in opening the file because their Word for Mac changes the characters and so the files are incompatible. Any ideas to solve
... See more
I have the opportunity to work with Graphic Arts Industry and Communication Companies.
All these companies use Mac computers whereas I use a Windows PC and so do the people I outsource to.

The problems come when translating a text which has cyrillic fonts, or arabic fonts.
When delivering word file format to these companies they have many problems in opening the file because their Word for Mac changes the characters and so the files are incompatible. Any ideas to solve this matter, apart from buying a Mac or outsourcing to translators who own a Mac computer?
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not much to do about Oct 23, 2004

Due to coding incompatibilities between MAC and PC.
Only using Offce XP/2003 on PC ans Office vX on MAC this could be possible, but I would not count much on this, when graphics are included.
It seems for me, that the polish characters are kept between both Word vX and Word XP, but I canot tell this for cyryllic characers.

Regards
Jerzy

Claudio Chagas (X)
Claudio Chagas (X)
Brazil
Local time: 10:05
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Conversions Plus for Windowns Oct 23, 2004

Conversions Plus (for Windows, latest v. 6.00) — DataViz Inc.

This software includes a large number of PC Mac conversion utilities, as well as conversion into and from RTF and some graphic, spreadsheet, and database formats. It converts word-processed files not only in the major West-European languages, but also in some Eastern European languages and languages using non-Latin alphabets such as Cyrillic, Greek, and Arabic, provided the appropriate fonts are used on both platform
... See more
Conversions Plus (for Windows, latest v. 6.00) — DataViz Inc.

This software includes a large number of PC Mac conversion utilities, as well as conversion into and from RTF and some graphic, spreadsheet, and database formats. It converts word-processed files not only in the major West-European languages, but also in some Eastern European languages and languages using non-Latin alphabets such as Cyrillic, Greek, and Arabic, provided the appropriate fonts are used on both platforms.

http://www.dataviz.com/products/conversionsplus/

Best of luck,
Claudio
Collapse

Claudio Chagas (X)
Claudio Chagas (X)
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Converting Cyrillic text from Windows PCs to Macintosh Oct 23, 2004

Usually any Mac PC conversion is done more efficiently on the Mac because of the Mac’s capability of handling with PC files.

This page offers some useful help too:

http://www.thau-knudsen.dk/sw/windows_to_mac.html

Cheers,
Claudio

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
RTF? Oct 23, 2004

Did you try using RTF as your exchange format, rather that Word?
This is usually the best format for cross-platform compatibility (but I do not have any experience with non roman characters)

Roberta

Claudio Chagas (X)
Claudio Chagas (X)
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Are appropriate fonts being used? Oct 23, 2004

I once opened a PC Word file in Slovakian, which has cyrillic fonts, on a Mac and solved the problem by finding the equivalent Mac fonts and installing them on the Mac. Have you checked with your client if they have the appropriate fonts installed on their Macs, and that the fonts you are using on the PC file are equivalent to their Mac version for the same typefaces?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening a PC Word file with Word for Mac,

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »