Thread poster: Audrey MANOUVRIER
Audrey MANOUVRIER
Audrey MANOUVRIER
Local time: 11:15
English to French
+ ...
Apr 7, 2015

Hi everyone!

I am a PC user, and I consider switching to MAC, where there is no virus, and I think the OS is faster and better than Windows.

However, I use Trados 2011 and I would like to keep using it, since it costs a lot of money and I am not ready to buy another CAT tool yet (or not such an expensive one).

I have seen on Proz and Translationzone that I can use Parralels or other tools to have Windows on the MAC, but I am afraid it would cancel the inter
... See more
Hi everyone!

I am a PC user, and I consider switching to MAC, where there is no virus, and I think the OS is faster and better than Windows.

However, I use Trados 2011 and I would like to keep using it, since it costs a lot of money and I am not ready to buy another CAT tool yet (or not such an expensive one).

I have seen on Proz and Translationzone that I can use Parralels or other tools to have Windows on the MAC, but I am afraid it would cancel the interest of MAC (no virus) if I do this, and I fear the OS would run slowlier.

Does anyone have any advice for me before I take a big step and abandon my PC?

Thank you in advance!!

Best regards,

Audrey
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Do it! Apr 7, 2015

Dear Audrey,

I have taken that step just a couple of weeks before, and I recommend it. Chose a powerful MAC (SSD is a must today, imho), and you'll be fine.

The Windows part of your Mac may of course still suffer from viruses, but you can minimize the risk by keeping software and data as much on the OS X side as possible. In other words: If you don't browse the internet or handle emails within Windows, chances to catch a virus are comparatively small. I'm using nothing
... See more
Dear Audrey,

I have taken that step just a couple of weeks before, and I recommend it. Chose a powerful MAC (SSD is a must today, imho), and you'll be fine.

The Windows part of your Mac may of course still suffer from viruses, but you can minimize the risk by keeping software and data as much on the OS X side as possible. In other words: If you don't browse the internet or handle emails within Windows, chances to catch a virus are comparatively small. I'm using nothing on the Windows side except for Studio, TO3000, and some electronic dictionaries.

If anything happens, you can re-setup a clean windows installation including all software you need within a couple of minutes (Snapshot). For this purpose, I keep all data on the MAC side as well - works like a charm.

Even though there are some quirks (like the Finder - which is the OS X equivalent of Windows Explorer - not updating folder content correctly; or partial incompatibility between the keyboard layouts), I'm very happy with the results.

HTH,
Erik

[Bearbeitet am 2015-04-07 12:54 GMT]
Collapse

Audrey MANOUVRIER
Audrey MANOUVRIER
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 7, 2015

Hi Erik,

Thank you very much for this! I think I would only use the Windows side for Studio and MS Office, and everything else would be on Mac OSX, so risks would be very low. I am not too familiar with the Mac OSX, but I am sure it is very user friendly!

And does running both OS on the same machine have an incidence on speed?

This may seem personal, but how much did the switch from PC to Mac improve your translator's life?

Thanks a lot!

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Thoughts Apr 7, 2015

AMATraduction wrote:

And does running both OS on the same machine have an incidence on speed?

Yes, certainly, but only regarding Windows. OS X performance will not depend on wether you run Parallels as well (unless you don't have enough memory).

As Mac hardware tends to have a longer operational life than Windows hardware, I suggest to buy the fastest Mac you can afford. In any case, I wouldn't make any compromises when it comes to RAM size and SSD vs. HD.

AMATraduction wrote:
This may seem personal, but how much did the switch from PC to Mac improve your translator's life?

Thanks a lot!

Well, a lot, I'd say: I hated it when Windows chose to start one of its frequent and noisy "HD shuffle" routines, slowing my (quite powerful) PC down just when I wanted to work. Actually, I'd say that one of the biggest improvements is the wonderful silence in my office! No fans, no hard discs. Probably possible with PC hardware as well, today, but there you go.

[Bearbeitet am 2015-04-07 13:29 GMT]

Audrey MANOUVRIER
Audrey MANOUVRIER
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
VMWare or Parallels ? Apr 7, 2015

Thank you so much!

I noticed there were two main ways to use Windows on a Mac, which are VMWare and Parallels. Beside the price difference, I was wondering if you or some users had used both and could tell which one they prefer... because they seem to have the same features, which also allow to completely open Windows apps under Mac with full integration. Does it work fine?

So now I guess I have to work hard to get enough money to buy the Mac...
See more
Thank you so much!

I noticed there were two main ways to use Windows on a Mac, which are VMWare and Parallels. Beside the price difference, I was wondering if you or some users had used both and could tell which one they prefer... because they seem to have the same features, which also allow to completely open Windows apps under Mac with full integration. Does it work fine?

So now I guess I have to work hard to get enough money to buy the Mac My old 2010 Toshiba would need replacement...

Thank you for your help!
Collapse

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Studio runs fine on Parallels Apr 7, 2015

I've used Studio 2009, 2011 and 2014 under Parallels Desktop on my iMac and MacBook Pro. They all run fine.

Recently, I've bought an iMac with a Retina screen and I had to move to VMware fusion because I couldn't get Studio's icons and many button labels and menus displayed right (they were too small). Perhaps it's possible (although I've tried all recommendations), but I didn't manage to do so.

Good luck!

Hans
Using CafeTran for Mac to process Studio
... See more
I've used Studio 2009, 2011 and 2014 under Parallels Desktop on my iMac and MacBook Pro. They all run fine.

Recently, I've bought an iMac with a Retina screen and I had to move to VMware fusion because I couldn't get Studio's icons and many button labels and menus displayed right (they were too small). Perhaps it's possible (although I've tried all recommendations), but I didn't manage to do so.

Good luck!

Hans
Using CafeTran for Mac to process Studio Projects
Collapse

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:15
French to English
+ ...
Runs fine: just be aware of disk space Apr 7, 2015

TRADOS generally runs fine in Parallels. Actually, I moved my Windows installation from its original PC to Parallels on my Mac and it actually boots and runs faster in Parallels than on the original PC it was imported from.

Bear in mind that what you will have is a complete Windows installation alongside your Mac OS, so:

- it will eat 50-100GB or so of your hard disk (that's OK if you get at least a 512GB computer -- I got one of the first Mac Book Pros when they came o
... See more
TRADOS generally runs fine in Parallels. Actually, I moved my Windows installation from its original PC to Parallels on my Mac and it actually boots and runs faster in Parallels than on the original PC it was imported from.

Bear in mind that what you will have is a complete Windows installation alongside your Mac OS, so:

- it will eat 50-100GB or so of your hard disk (that's OK if you get at least a 512GB computer -- I got one of the first Mac Book Pros when they came out with retina displays and it only has 256GB, which is workable but a bit tight)
- you will need a (Windows) antivirus running on your Parallels installation but... that's generally all right. It'll theoretically slow down your Windows installation and do the things that antivirus do such as nagging you constantly that it can't update itself or that the universe is in danger of self-destructing because your antivirus database is 3 minutes out of date etc, but this will essentially affect just your Windows installation, and if you're running on a Mac Book Pro with a fast solid state disk, the performance impact isn't so bad.

Other caveats you just need to be aware of:

- Parallels will cause you a few niggles (e.g. occasional freezes as it grows the disk partition, some key combinations in TRADOS may need redefining because they clash with Parallels functions...)
- Running in Parallels isn't as efficient when it comes to battery life -- count on having something like half the stated battery life for working in TRADOS compared to working in native software
- Because you're running a genuine installation of Windows within Mac OS, you won't be excused from some of the pains in the behind that this can come (e.g. random network and CPU hogging because it suddenly starts trying to download spurious updates just when you're working on a train on battery with a slow network connection...)

But overall, I would say I've had a much better experience running on a Mac with Parallels just solely for those projects that need TRADOS and being able to do everything else in Mac OS compared to having to do everything in Windows.
Collapse

Lorena Almeida

Audrey MANOUVRIER
Audrey MANOUVRIER
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 8, 2015

Thank you all for sharing your experience under Mac.

I think I am going to chose an iMac, since I work at home and there are very few occasions where I need to work away from home. So, since my PC laptop still works rather fine, I think I will keep it for these rare occasions. Moreover, I was thinking this morning that there are few projects where I need Trados, so the investment on Parallels might not be so cost-effective. So my best option might be an iMac (with enough RAM if I ch
... See more
Thank you all for sharing your experience under Mac.

I think I am going to chose an iMac, since I work at home and there are very few occasions where I need to work away from home. So, since my PC laptop still works rather fine, I think I will keep it for these rare occasions. Moreover, I was thinking this morning that there are few projects where I need Trados, so the investment on Parallels might not be so cost-effective. So my best option might be an iMac (with enough RAM if I chose to install Parallels in a few years, in case of more projects needing Trados), and I would use my PC laptop when I need Trados or when I need to work away from home.

About SSD, when I looked on the Apple website, there was the option of a Fusion Drive, which combines flash memory and a SATA hard drive (if I understood it right). Have you heard of it?

I would replace my external HDD that I use for daily backup on my PC by an external SSD, hoping I can do daily back-ups from the MAC on this device...
Collapse

olga9kiev
olga9kiev
English
Steps to install TRADOS on MAC? Apr 9, 2016

Hello guys!

I have MAC Pro OS X, intel i7, memory 7G and 340 GB is free out of 750 (flash storage). I will need to use TRADOS at my new job, but I've never used the program and need to learn how to use it. I'm thinking about downloading it on my MAC, but I'm not a technical person at all.

Anyway, I would really appreciate if somebody can walk me through the process in general. I know that the first step w
... See more
Hello guys!

I have MAC Pro OS X, intel i7, memory 7G and 340 GB is free out of 750 (flash storage). I will need to use TRADOS at my new job, but I've never used the program and need to learn how to use it. I'm thinking about downloading it on my MAC, but I'm not a technical person at all.

Anyway, I would really appreciate if somebody can walk me through the process in general. I know that the first step would be to buy Parallels and install it on my MAC. What about second step? Windows? What Windows would work better with TRADOS?
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Windows 7, 8 or 10 Apr 10, 2016

You can use Windows 7, 8 or 10. Personally, I'm happy with Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell to get the traditional Start menu. If you don't like Windows 7 or 8, Microsoft allows you to upgrade to Windows 10 without additional costs.

If you also have a Retina screen, you show uld use VMware Fusion to get the best resolution (unless Parallels have fixed this since version 10).

BTW: Did you know that there are CAT tools that run on Mac, without Windows, and that can proces
... See more
You can use Windows 7, 8 or 10. Personally, I'm happy with Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell to get the traditional Start menu. If you don't like Windows 7 or 8, Microsoft allows you to upgrade to Windows 10 without additional costs.

If you also have a Retina screen, you show uld use VMware Fusion to get the best resolution (unless Parallels have fixed this since version 10).

BTW: Did you know that there are CAT tools that run on Mac, without Windows, and that can process Trados (Studio) files perfectly? Compatibility is no longer an issue and these tools are more Mac style (e.g. Drag & Drop, full Retina support) than Studio. Some of them are also very fast (they outperform Studio on crucial tasks, like Finding and Replacing, setting segment status etc.).

Studio 2015 still has irritating quirks like termbases that are enclosed in packages and that cannot be opened (see here http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/300539-general_massive_catastrophic_system_failure_related_to_termbase.html).

Anyway, I'd like to give you a word of advice: consider installing Dropbox (www.dropbox.com) and place all your project-related files in a dedicated folder. You can install Dropbox on your Mac and (if you decide to install Windows) on Windows too. This is another way to exchange files between the Mac and the Windows side of your computer. You'll be needing an internet connection to make this work. You'll always have a backup of your project files. Even of several generations of it. And you can easily share these files with an IT expert in case of troubles.

[Edited at 2016-04-10 06:14 GMT]
Collapse

sdl_roman
sdl_roman
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:15
Install TRADOS on MAC Apr 11, 2016

Hi Olga,

SDL Trados Studio is an application built for the Microsoft Windows environment.
SDL Studio cannot be installed directly to the Apple Mac operating system OSX.

To work with SDL Studio on an Apple Mac, it is recommended that you use Boot Camp to install the application.
Alternatively, virtual machine software can be used, such as Parallels or WMware.

This article explains in more detail how to run SDL Trados Studio on an
... See more
Hi Olga,

SDL Trados Studio is an application built for the Microsoft Windows environment.
SDL Studio cannot be installed directly to the Apple Mac operating system OSX.

To work with SDL Studio on an Apple Mac, it is recommended that you use Boot Camp to install the application.
Alternatively, virtual machine software can be used, such as Parallels or WMware.

This article explains in more detail how to run SDL Trados Studio on an Apple Mac -
http://www.translationzone.com/en/support/how-to-run-sdl-trados-studio-on-an-apple-mac.asp.

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,

SDL_Roman
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados under MAC

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »