Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:13
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Jun 1, 2015

One of the most useful features of Office 2008 for Mac was that you could find/replace a word or phrase in "all open documents".

That feature was removed in Office 2011, nor is there any sign of it coming back in the new Office 2015 (of which I have a test copy).

For that reason I am still using Office 2008 for Mac, but it's getting old now and I'm wondering if anyone knows of either an Office-compatible application that has "find/replace in all open documents" or a th
... See more
One of the most useful features of Office 2008 for Mac was that you could find/replace a word or phrase in "all open documents".

That feature was removed in Office 2011, nor is there any sign of it coming back in the new Office 2015 (of which I have a test copy).

For that reason I am still using Office 2008 for Mac, but it's getting old now and I'm wondering if anyone knows of either an Office-compatible application that has "find/replace in all open documents" or a third-party tweak (one that's easy to use) that does the same job?

I know about the other option (concatenating multiple files so that find/replace is only applied to one file- that's not always a practical way of doing it).

[Edited at 2015-06-01 16:28 GMT]
Collapse

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:13
"There's a macro for that" Jun 1, 2015

You can use a macro for that, if you'd be willing to install it. I could give you further instructions then.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Please do! Jun 1, 2015

2nl wrote:

You can use a macro for that, if you'd be willing to install it. I could give you further instructions then.

Please do!

2nl (X)
Netherlands
Quick and dirty solution in VBA Jun 1, 2015

Here's a movie:

http://youtu.be/9F796GWCoKU

And here is the VBA code that you'll need:

Dim doc As Word.Document
Dim strFind As String
Dim strReplace As String

strFind = InputBox("Type the string to find", "Enter your text", "Anton")
strReplace = InputBox("Type the string to use for replacement", "Enter your text", "Johann")

For
... See more
Here's a movie:

http://youtu.be/9F796GWCoKU

And here is the VBA code that you'll need:

Dim doc As Word.Document
Dim strFind As String
Dim strReplace As String

strReplace = InputBox("Type the string to use for replacement", "Enter your text", "Johann")

For Each doc In Word.Documents
doc.Select

For Each myRange In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
.Text = strFind
.Replacement.Text = strReplace
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
Next myRange
Next

Start Word:mac 2011.

Copy the code above.

Create a new macro, e.g. 'findall'.

Inside the macro paste the text of the macro above. So you'll get:

Sub findall()
'
' findall Macro
'
'
Dim doc As Word.Document
Dim strFind As String
Dim strReplace As String

For Each doc In Word.Documents
doc.Select

For Each myRange In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
.Text = strFind
.Replacement.Text = strReplace
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
Next myRange
Next
End Sub

Save and exit the macro editor.

Run the macro in Word (Tools > Macro > Macros).

Note that this macro is quick and dirty. It only replaces in the main text.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks but.... Jun 1, 2015

...looks complicated !

2nl (X)
Netherlands
Yes, but it IS simple Jun 1, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

...looks complicated !

Perhaps it looks complicated, but it actually is very simple. A couple of clicks only. Don't be afraid. Why not give it a try?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 1, 2015

2nl wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

...looks complicated !

Perhaps it looks complicated, but it actually is very simple. A couple of clicks only. Don't be afraid. Why not give it a try?

OK and thanks- I'll give it a try when I get a free moment

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
Hi Tom Jun 2, 2015

Let me know how you get on. I use Office 2011 and it would be useful to know. Back in my PC days, I had a concordance search/replace app which was very simple to use and anything that could do similar on a Mac would be a boon.

2nl (X)
Netherlands
There's nothing that you can ruin Jun 2, 2015

Alexander Chisholm wrote:

Let me know how you get on. I use Office 2011 and it would be useful to know. Back in my PC days, I had a concordance search/replace app which was very simple to use and anything that could do similar on a Mac would be a boon.

There's nothing that you can ruin by installing a simple macro in Word. You can find more info here:

http://tinyurl.com/q8ycrg4

This link will open a PDF from Microsoft.

However, the route shown in the video is simpler.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I know but Jun 2, 2015

2nl wrote:

There's nothing that you can ruin by installing a simple macro in Word.

I know, but for now I'm happy with Word 2008, which still runs fine in Yosemite and in fact crashes LESS frequently than Word 2011.

But I'll have a go with the macro when I feel like playing around. In the meantime you could dress it up in a fancy GUI, give it an amusing name, and start selling it! You'd be rich! Everybody wants a macro like this ! I only want 49% !

[Edited at 2015-06-02 09:55 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 21:13
English to Indonesian
+ ...
The easy way... Jun 2, 2015

... for files in one or more known location(s), both open and err, not open.

• Run TextWrangler (download it here, it doesn't cost any money, and you'll need it anyway at some point)
  • In the menu, go to Search | Multiple-File Search..., select the location, and enter the terms

• In the pop-up screen, select if you only want to save the changes in the open files or not

That's it. The advantage is, that it works for all document file formats, not only *.docx. The disadvantage as compared to
    2nl's macro, is that it requires running an extra app, TextWrangler.

There are several other ways to do it (Terminal commands, for example), but the macro and the TextWrangler ways seem to me the easiest.

Cheers,

Hans

• Tom in London
    Tom in London
    United Kingdom
    Member (2008)
    Italian to English
    TOPIC STARTER
    Doesn't work for me Jun 2, 2015

Hans - I've tried TExt Wranger and it doesn't work for me. Not only is a simple 2-word phrase not found/ not replaced but the open Word files in which the 2-word phrase occurs are transformed into OpenXML files and can no longer be opened ! What am I doing wrong?

Meta Arkadia
    Meta Arkadia
    English to Indonesian
    + ...
    It does here Jun 2, 2015

simple 2-word phrase not found/ not replaced

It does work, but to see the change you'll have to go to the saved file. I think this workflow wasn't intended for open documents, but it works anyway. I wonder how 2nl's macro works (I don't use VBA, too Microsoft for me).
    transformed into OpenXML files and can no longer be opened

That's because the text part of the *.docx file is XML. If you're curious, just change the extension into *.zip, and unzip. You'll see a file called something like [Content_Types].xml.
    I'm sure you can open the *.docx file after the S/R.

Cheers,

Hans

Meta Arkadia
    Meta Arkadia
    English to Indonesian
    + ...
    Not happy Jun 2, 2015

I claimed the TextWrangler approach worked, and it does. But unlike I'm overlooking something, something will go wrong if you make a change in the frontmost document other than an S&R. If you save that document, you'll "undo" the S&R actions. I think.

On the other hand, why would all the other documents be open? Probably to allow for S&R... And the procedure mentioned above is perfect for non-open (closed? sounds strange to me) documents, or for open documents and open and non-open
    ... See more
    I claimed the TextWrangler approach worked, and it does. But unlike I'm overlooking something, something will go wrong if you make a change in the frontmost document other than an S&R. If you save that document, you'll "undo" the S&R actions. I think.

On the other hand, why would all the other documents be open? Probably to allow for S&R... And the procedure mentioned above is perfect for non-open (closed? sounds strange to me) documents, or for open documents and open and non-open documents that only need S&R.

Cheers,

Hans
    Collapse

2nl (X)
    Netherlands
    Better use CafeTran Jun 2, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

But I'll have a go with the macro when I feel like playing around. In the meantime you could dress it up in a fancy GUI

You'd better give CafeTran a try. It can Find and Replace 2000 instances of a word in 30000 segments in 1000 files in 2 seconds. And it adjusts case automatically. But indeed, it doesn't have a Word interface.

Next week I'll schedule a training in The Draft House Tower Bridge. Perhaps you want to attend?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Find/replace in all open documents

TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
    Anycount & Translation Office 3000
    Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »