Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Sep 15, 2015

I've just been asked to sign an agreement that states the following:

1) Any and all machines on which you access and/or save files relating to xxxxx its Clients shall be protected by up-to-date anti-virus software which is scheduled to automatically perform a full system scan no less frequently than one time per month;

2) Any and all machines on which you access and/or save files relating to xxxxxx and/or its Clients shall have a firewall enabled at all times; and
... See more
I've just been asked to sign an agreement that states the following:

1) Any and all machines on which you access and/or save files relating to xxxxx its Clients shall be protected by up-to-date anti-virus software which is scheduled to automatically perform a full system scan no less frequently than one time per month;

2) Any and all machines on which you access and/or save files relating to xxxxxx and/or its Clients shall have a firewall enabled at all times; and

3) You shall provide xxxxx with adequate evidence of your compliance with the foregoing obligations promptly upon its and/or its Client’s request.

It's easy to enable the OS X firewall. I've owned a Mac for 8 years and never had a virus, never used a scanner! According to this contract, I finally have to get one. What virus scanners do you recommend?

Thanks!

DJH
Collapse

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:32
ClamXav Sep 16, 2015

I use ClamXav: http://clamxav.com

It can guard your Download or Desktop folder too.

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 16, 2015

I'll give it a go, thanks!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:32
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Be careful Sep 16, 2015

DJHartmann wrote:

I'll give it a go, thanks!

Be careful though:

'An AV product from the App Store, such as "ClamXav," has the same drawback as the commercial suites of being always out of date, but it does not inject low-level code into the operating system. That doesn't mean it's entirely harmless. It may report email messages that have "phishing" links in the body, or Windows malware in attachments, as infected files, and offer to delete or move them. Doing so will corrupt the Mail database. The messages should be deleted from within the Mail application.'

You might be interested to read this from the Apple discussions forums:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/27034742#27034742

[Edited at 2015-09-16 07:11 GMT]

Patricia Daehler
Patricia Daehler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:32
German to English
+ ...
@DJH Mar 1, 2016

I was wondering whether you started using ClamXav and what your experience has been?

About a week ago I received an identical agreement (word for word!) from one of the agencies I work for (and they do provide the bulk of my work; I definitely want to continue working for them). I have been working on Macs all my life, without ever installing an anti-virus software, and without ever encountering a virus.

Before I pay for and install an anti-virus software I would like
... See more
I was wondering whether you started using ClamXav and what your experience has been?

About a week ago I received an identical agreement (word for word!) from one of the agencies I work for (and they do provide the bulk of my work; I definitely want to continue working for them). I have been working on Macs all my life, without ever installing an anti-virus software, and without ever encountering a virus.

Before I pay for and install an anti-virus software I would like to make sure it works well and does not negatively affect my computer.

It would be great if you could share your experience so far!

Thank you so much

Patricia
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:32
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Me neither Mar 1, 2016

DJHartmann wrote:
never had a virus

If OS X machines continue to rise as a percentage of machines in use, they will be targeted more often and with more creative exploits.

I use Kaspersky on my work machines. I have also used Bit Defender but I didn't like they way they made it difficult to prevent auto-renewal and so on.

Have you tried discussing this with the client and making the "OS X is different" argument? I mean, I'd be surprised if people using Linux had this requirement enforced...

Dan

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
Installed it and took no notice Mar 2, 2016

Hi Patricia,

I installed the program but never paid or registered it. I was given a 30 day trial and took no notice after it expired. Obviously the program found no threats!

I'll have a look at Dan's Kaspersky now that it's been mentioned.

Best regards,

DJH

Patricia Daehler
Patricia Daehler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:32
German to English
+ ...
Thank you Mar 2, 2016

Wonderful! Thank you so much for your input, DJH and Dan. I really appreciate it!

Kind regards,

Patricia

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 01:32
So, what have you decided to do? Mar 2, 2016

Patricia Daehler wrote:

Wonderful! Thank you so much for your input, DJH and Dan. I really appreciate it!

So, what have you decided to do? Install a virus scanner? If so, which? Proceed as if OS X is invulnerable and use none?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Virus Scanner for Mac -_- :(

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »