Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:17
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes Oct 16, 2015

2nl wrote:

So, the amount of RAM is also important for the battery life, I guess. [/quote]

Yes, because if the computer has to store/retrieve data from the hard drive, powering the hard drive motor + arm, back and forth again and again, this consumes a lot more power. Temporarily storing as much data as possible in the RAM makes the processing much faster and since no moving parts are involved, much less power-hungry. I imagine the battery also lasts longer if you have an SSD rather than a hard drive.

The other thing that depletes the battery is the display - which you can set to dim automatically at times when you're running on the battery.

Despite what Apple always says about battery life, I've never been able to get more than 3-4 hours. Fortunately most of my working trips are on trains, which usually have a power socket by each seat.

[Edited at 2015-10-16 17:14 GMT]

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:17
Member (2016)
English to German
Go for it Oct 17, 2015

I am using an iMac with Parallels and highly recommend the Mac/Parallels setup because of the flexibility it offers.

Via Parallels, I currently have 2 Windows virtual machines within the iMac:
one is running Windows 10, the other one is running Windows 7.
So basically, I have 3 computers within one.

Make sure you get plenty of RAM.

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:17
Parallels Oct 18, 2015

Jan Truper wrote:

I am using an iMac with Parallels and highly recommend the Mac/Parallels setup because of the flexibility it offers.

Parallels indeed offers you nice possibilities to keep your Windows CAT tools in separated VMs. And inside your VMs you can create Snapshots to easily move back to a previous build of your CAT tool.

But the best thing of OS X is that you don't need Parallels at all in order to run a very good CAT tool. There are at least four CAT tools that run on Java under OS X. Java is a virtualisation layer too, but one with far less impact on your Mac. Good Java tools can handle memoQ, Transit and SDL projects too.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating on a Mac.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »