Safety of OS X
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:55
Nov 21, 2015

Following a study of the German Federal Ministry of the Interior, Java and Windows are both safer than OS X:

Fig. 2: Critical vulnerabilities

For usability reasons I'm running Windows as a guest in OS X as a host. For security reasons I'd probably better do this the other way around .

[Edited at 2015-11-21 08:31 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:55
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
<sharp intake of breath> Nov 21, 2015

2nl wrote:
For usability reasons I'm running Windows as a guest in OS X as a host. For security reasons I'd probably better do this the other way around

Oooh, that's interesting but you're going to get in trouble with the "Apple devices don't need anti-virus software" crowd!

Dan

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Laughing here Nov 21, 2015

I switched from DOS to the Mac OS in 1995. I've never used any kind of add-on virus protection and I've never, ever, had any kind of virus. That's 20 years and no virusses. I rest my case.

[Edited at 2015-11-21 10:51 GMT]

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
One size fits all? Nov 21, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

I switched from DOS to the Mac OS in 1995. I've never used any kind of add-on virus protection and I've never, ever, had any kind of virus. That's 20 years and no virusses. I rest my case.

I understand that, Tom, and as a matter of fact, during the same period I haven't had any viruses on Windows either.

However, the actual question is: Would you advise other users of OS X to install antivirus software?

See Tom’s Guide.

Personally I'm using ClamXav.

[Edited at 2015-11-21 11:23 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
a new wave of viruses set to hit the Mac OS? Nov 21, 2015

I expect the number of viruses targeting the Mac operating system to only increase as Apple continues to conquer the world, so if I were on a Mac, I would probably start looking into AV software right now. In fact, since Mac users are not yet used to having to have such software installed, they might actually be at a greater risk than your average Windows user currently.

Virus makers don't target Windows because Windows is evil and Macs are great, but based on market share and who t
... See more
I expect the number of viruses targeting the Mac operating system to only increase as Apple continues to conquer the world, so if I were on a Mac, I would probably start looking into AV software right now. In fact, since Mac users are not yet used to having to have such software installed, they might actually be at a greater risk than your average Windows user currently.

Virus makers don't target Windows because Windows is evil and Macs are great, but based on market share and who they think are vulnerable. As these things change, so will viruses and malware.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No Nov 21, 2015

2nl wrote:

Would you advise other users of OS X to install antivirus software?

No. After 20 years and no virusses, I know I don't need antivirus software. And there is not a new, nor indeed an old, wave of viruses set to hit the Mac OS. I suggest we all go away now and talk about something more interesting.

[Edited at 2015-11-21 16:48 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
[yawn] Nov 21, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

2nl wrote:

Would you advise other users of OS X to install antivirus software?

No. After 20 years and no virusses, I know I don't need antivirus software. And there is not a new, nor indeed an old, wave of viruses set to hit the Mac OS. I suggest we all go away now and talk about something more interesting.

[Edited at 2015-11-21 16:48 GMT]

I always wonder where you get all your expert knowledge of the Mac operating system and Apple as a company from, Tom. Could it perhaps be that you are a tad too trusting? Anyway, you're right about one thing: talking about how great Apple is is indeed quite boring and there is nothing more futile than trying to force an Apple fan to see reality, so I am off to water my cactus.

PS: don't open any odd looking emails in Apple Mail

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Not impossible, just a lot less likely Nov 21, 2015

Although this article dates back to February of this year, I think it makes some good observations.

"Despite what some people may say, there’s nothing inherent in how OS X is built that makes it much more resistant to viruses or malware. And for those who still aren’t convinced, back in 2010 and 2011, Apple users faced the OS X Pinhead and BlackHole RAT trojan viruses that infected thousands of computers. More recently, there was the Mac Flashback trojan. It’s pretty well docu
... See more
Although this article dates back to February of this year, I think it makes some good observations.

"Despite what some people may say, there’s nothing inherent in how OS X is built that makes it much more resistant to viruses or malware. And for those who still aren’t convinced, back in 2010 and 2011, Apple users faced the OS X Pinhead and BlackHole RAT trojan viruses that infected thousands of computers. More recently, there was the Mac Flashback trojan. It’s pretty well documented that Macs can, and do, get viruses.

With that being said, how can I then claim they’re safer? Well, despite these specific examples, there are far more viruses and malware that target Windows machines than any other system. Despite what you might think based on the ever-growing popularity of Apple, 90% of the world's computers still run Windows.

If you were a hacker, and were creating a virus or malware to target as many machines as possible and cause widespread attacks, you would focus your efforts on what will create the greatest return. If you’re looking to cause the most damage, and increase your chances of success, you’re going to target the most common computer system. Essentially, Macs are safer because statistically you’re less likely to be infected due to the lower number of viruses built to infect OS X."

http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/opinions/macs-are-safer-than-pcs-right/
Collapse

Rodrigo Castillo H.
Rodrigo Castillo H.
Chile
Local time: 19:55
English to Spanish
Every operating system has vulnerabilities... Nov 21, 2015

...and OSX is no exception. Want proof? Here you have it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn2Own

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
IMO Nov 22, 2015

I guess the study is about so-called 'default' settings, when the OS is just out of the box.
The point is, MS initially gave Admin/root (at least prior UAC) and used "what is not explicitly forbidden is allowed" approach, whereas Mac used "what is not explicitly allowed is forbidden".

Actually, it does really matter, yet even greater impact has the infamous 'human factor', when everything depends on the user's knowledge and habits, let alone social engineering an
... See more
I guess the study is about so-called 'default' settings, when the OS is just out of the box.
The point is, MS initially gave Admin/root (at least prior UAC) and used "what is not explicitly forbidden is allowed" approach, whereas Mac used "what is not explicitly allowed is forbidden".

Actually, it does really matter, yet even greater impact has the infamous 'human factor', when everything depends on the user's knowledge and habits, let alone social engineering and other users.

Having said that, it's quite possible to have even Win XP with no AV/protection, which would work perfectly fine, providing it was configured properly. And the opposite is possible--a modern updated OS with a comprehensive security may be compromised and infested.

However, for a common user I would still recommend some AV whatever OS he's using; as for me, I prefer Comodo for Mac, Android and Win.

[Edited at 2015-11-22 14:12 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Safety of OS X

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »