Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:39
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 30, 2015

Hello Collegues
I've discovered the Dictation function and it seems great. I would really like to start using it.
I'm using the microphone buil-in the MacBook.
However, it seems it doesn't know even the most elementary and usual words and doesn't react to prompst for ponctuation.

Is it a problem of microphone or what? Is there a way to teach new words?

How is your experience ?

Thanks a lot and Happy New Year
Lucia

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 22:39
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Enhanced dictation enabled (and downloaded)? Dec 30, 2015

Did you enable and download Enhanced Dictation for one or more languages? Don't know about Mavericks anymore, but that's what you should do in El Capi. It's in the System Preferences.

Cheers,

Hans

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:39
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Better mike Dec 30, 2015

You need a better microphone. It should be USB and be close to your mouth whilst leaving your hands free. I use an "over the ear" microphone, which works well. The built-in microphone in your Mac is useless for dictation.

I use Mac Dictation all the time (mainly in English and Italian) as a serious translation tool. It doesn't make many mistakes, but you have to speak clearly and quite quickly (I know: speaking quickly may seem counter-intuitive but that's how it works).

... See more
You need a better microphone. It should be USB and be close to your mouth whilst leaving your hands free. I use an "over the ear" microphone, which works well. The built-in microphone in your Mac is useless for dictation.

I use Mac Dictation all the time (mainly in English and Italian) as a serious translation tool. It doesn't make many mistakes, but you have to speak clearly and quite quickly (I know: speaking quickly may seem counter-intuitive but that's how it works).

Over time, it will learn your particular pronunciation.

[Edited at 2015-12-30 14:44 GMT]
Collapse

ThompsonText
ThompsonText  Identity Verified

French to English
+ ...
Connects to Apple servers Dec 30, 2015

Be aware that the built-in OS X dictation normally connects to Apple's servers, which may have implications for privacy of client material.
See also https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203668

Chris.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not normally a problem Dec 30, 2015

See also

http://www.apple.com/privacy/

The privacy offered by Apple is a lot better than what you get with PC Dictation applications like Dragon:

"Website or Nuance Product Usage. Nuance (or Nuance vendors and suppliers) may observe your activities, preferences, and transactional data (such as your IP address and browser type) as well as related usage behavior dependi
... See more
See also

http://www.apple.com/privacy/

The privacy offered by Apple is a lot better than what you get with PC Dictation applications like Dragon:

"Website or Nuance Product Usage. Nuance (or Nuance vendors and suppliers) may observe your activities, preferences, and transactional data (such as your IP address and browser type) as well as related usage behavior depending on whether you are using our Website or a particular Nuance Product. We may use this data for any purpose unless we tell you otherwise in connection with a particular Website or product"

http://tinyurl.com/86xp49m

Apple does NOT do that !

[Edited at 2015-12-30 13:43 GMT]
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Enhanced dictation (revisited) Dec 30, 2015

ThompsonText wrote:
Be aware that the built-in OS X dictation normally connects to Apple's servers

Not if you use enhanced dictation.

Mac Help:

With Enhanced Dictation, you can dictate offline. You can use dictation commands (also known as spoken commands) to perform tasks and control your Mac while dictating text. OS X El Capitan provides an option to use a dictation keyword phrase so you can use dictation commands even when you’re not dictating text.

Don't know if this goes for Mavericks as well. If it doesn't, it's a good reason to upgrade.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2015-12-30 13:50 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
hold your breath, it's raining paranoia Dec 30, 2015

ThompsonText wrote:

Be aware that the built-in OS X dictation normally connects to Apple's servers, which may have implications for privacy of client material.
See also https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203668

Chris.

Ha ha ha, I just knew someone would come along and say that. Sadly, merely breathing may have implications for privacy of client material. That's why I no longer breathe while translating these days, for fear of a lawsuit.

[This post was dictated using Dragon Professional 14. Please excuse any typos!]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Me too Dec 30, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

.....That's why I no longer breathe while translating these days, for fear of a lawsuit.

Thanks for the warning Michael. I have stopped breathi................................................................................

[Edited at 2015-12-30 14:45 GMT]

Lucia Messuti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all your replies...... Dec 30, 2015

Well, if th eonly problem is the microphone, I'll buy an exteranl microphone.

As to the privacy and all related issues, since Maverick you can use the "Dittatura migliorata" (Improved dictation?) so you won't send the dictated sentences to the Apple servers.

I know, everybody is pushing towards the Cloud and similar but .......

As to the microphones, do you suggest any specific product you have already used?

Thanks
Lucia

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Io uso questo Dec 30, 2015

http://www.plantronics.com/it/product/blackwire-435

this one works fine (using only the microphone over one ear- not the two earphone buds, which are unnecessary for dictating).

PS "Dittatura migliorata" - very funny. "Improved dictatorship" (Mussolini in a pink uniform with pompoms and bells, perhaps?)

You should not be afraid to use the ""DEttat
... See more
http://www.plantronics.com/it/product/blackwire-435

this one works fine (using only the microphone over one ear- not the two earphone buds, which are unnecessary for dictating).

PS "Dittatura migliorata" - very funny. "Improved dictatorship" (Mussolini in a pink uniform with pompoms and bells, perhaps?)

You should not be afraid to use the ""DEttatura migliorata" function, as it gives MUCH better results.

[Edited at 2015-12-30 15:56 GMT]
Collapse

Lucia Messuti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ops..... dettatura Dec 30, 2015

I really need to start dictating instead of writing .... ahah

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Very funny indeed! Dec 30, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Must find time to watch this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032553/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Let me check whether it's at Netflix. Most likely, not.

Lucia Messuti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In Mavericks as well Enhanced Dictation Dec 30, 2015

It seems Maverick is the first OS enabling you to have Enhanced Dictation.
I'll check the dictation commands in the Preferences.
As concerns teaching the system to recognize your voice?
I think it's due to the microphone built-in that it deosn't recognize even simple and common words.

As to El Capitan, I'm waiting as it seems there are a few issues with Wordfast 3 PRO, not only, but aslo, related to Wordfast.

In fact, I tried to use dictation in Wor
... See more
I think it's due to the microphone built-in that it deosn't recognize even simple and common words.

As to El Capitan, I'm waiting as it seems there are a few issues with Wordfast 3 PRO, not only, but aslo, related to Wordfast.

In fact, I tried to use dictation in Wordfast but it was unsuccessful.

Thanks for all your tips and hints

Lucia
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
MS Office Dec 30, 2015

Lucia Me wrote:

In fact, I tried to use dictation in Wordfast but it was unsuccessful.

Thanks for all your tips and hints

Lucia

I use it with El Capitan. It works very well in all MSOffice applications, TextEdit, and for writing emails in Apple Mail. I don't know if it works everywhere. I don't use CAT tools so I can't say.

[Edited at 2015-12-30 20:57 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Mics and things Dec 30, 2015

Lucia Me wrote:

I (sometimes try to) use the built-in mic of the iMac (conveniently positioned where it's absolutely sure it can't catch anything), and if I stand up and try to talk into it, the results are acceptable. I also need a mic because it isn't particularly cold in Indonesia, and there's always a fan or airco running, making noise. But I don't want to spend money, because I don't even know if I can use it.* Michael recommended a cheap Logitec microphone his wife successfully uses, but I can't get it here. I almost bought a similar mic, but I noticed just in time that Mac OS X was crossed out in "Suitable for Windows and Mac OS X". Will try again later. In the meantime, ask Michael.

*My problems are: If you dictate in Italian, is there a way to use commands in English (In my case, I don't/hardly know the commands in Dutch and Indonesian, only in English)? And if you dictate in a language in an app that doesn't have an interface in that language, how do you deal with the commands?

Cheers,

Hans

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dictation on MacBook Pro OS Maverick

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »