Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 22, 2005

Hi people

I've read that it's possible to emulate a Mac in a PC. I'm thinking about turning my old Laptop Pentium II into a Mac. How can I do it?

Regards

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
various options Mar 22, 2005

What you need is an emulator, which is program that 'mimics' a certain type of computer on a different type of computer (in this case, a Mac on a PC). There are various emulators available; if you do a google search for "Mac emulator" + PC you'll find them. One site that looks interesting is http://www.emulators.com/.

You should be aware that some programs may not run (properly) under an emulator
... See more
What you need is an emulator, which is program that 'mimics' a certain type of computer on a different type of computer (in this case, a Mac on a PC). There are various emulators available; if you do a google search for "Mac emulator" + PC you'll find them. One site that looks interesting is http://www.emulators.com/.

You should be aware that some programs may not run (properly) under an emulator, and in any case they will run slower (maybe MUCH slower) than the would on a 'real' computer.

Have fun!

[Edited at 2005-03-22 22:33]
Collapse

Edwal Rospigliosi
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Certainly fun Mar 23, 2005

Ok, so now I have a Basillisk emulator running System 7.5.

Until now, Mac looks good. I'll check what shareware is out there, and see what happens.

Thank you!

Francesca moletta
Francesca moletta
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
does it work? Apr 8, 2005

Edwal Rospigliosi wrote:

Ok, so now I have a Basillisk emulator running System 7.5.

Until now, Mac looks good. I'll check what shareware is out there, and see what happens.

Thank you!

Hi Edwal,

I'm very interested in knowing if the convertion you did actually works. I have an old desktop PC at home and I'd be happy to convert it from dusty "granpa PC" to "useful Mac"!

Bye, thx

[Edited at 2005-04-08 14:07]

Edwal Rospigliosi
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I did Apr 8, 2005

Francesca Moletta wrote:
Hi Edwal,

I'm very interested in knowing if the convertion you did actually works. I have an old desktop PC at home and I'd be happy to convert it from dusty "granpa PC" to "useful Mac"!

Bye, thx

[Edited at 2005-04-08 14:07]

Hi Francesca.

Yes, it worked. As I found, Mac has two kinds of computers: 68k (based in a Motorola 68x0 chip) and PPC (PowerPC). Most emulators work only for 68k (It means, Mac Classic, Performa, Quadra), not for the most modern Macs (G3, G4, etc.). There are a couple of emulators that supposedly run up to System 9.1 and modern software, but they need somebody computer-savvier than me (cuz they're Linux-based) to configure them. (Yes, that will be my next step -when I have the time for that)

So, for all practical purposes I have now a Macintosh Quadra 900 running most of old software, including things like Word, Excel, QuarkXpress, Freehand (abandonware versions, pre-1995), games like PacMan and others, and a lot of shareware.

I wouldn't say I use it for my daily work -I have my PC for that- but on weekends, or to play games, it's great. I even installed it in my Pentium IV, where it works as another window.

soporte74
soporte74
Spanish to English
Software Apr 28, 2005

I ve collected a regular amount of software for Basilisk II. I am making a list to show you wich applications run fine on B2.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Turning a PC into a Mac

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »