Be careful with syncing Desktop and Documents folders via iCloud (macOS Sierra)
Thread poster: CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 13:29
Sep 22, 2016

For the time being, I'll keep using Dropbox instead of iCloud for syncing my files between my Macs. Here's why:

Storage in the cloud, and maybe on your drive

Here’s what happened: I was editing a podcast in Apple’s Logic Pro X, and my project was stored on the Desktop. All of a sudden, the voice of one of my podcast panelists simply vanished from the mix. I quit and re-launched Logic, only to be told that the file in question was missing. Sure enough, a visit to Finder revealed that Sierra had “optimized” my storage and removed that file from my local drive. I’ll grant you, the file was a couple of weeks old, and very large as most audio files are. But I was also actively using it within a Logic project. Apparently that didn’t count for anything?

So that’s bad. That’s enough for me to turn off that feature and never use it again—or at the very least, never keep my project files on the Desktop or in the Documents folder.

Source: https://sixcolors.com/post/2016/09/sierra-review/

[Edited at 2016-09-22 14:19 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:29
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I agree... Sep 22, 2016

I agree - and thanks for the link. I tried Sierra for one day. The only "innovation" is that it tries to cajole/force/blackmail users into relying on the Cloud so that they will pay for ever-increasing capacity. Apart from Siri (which doesn't work well) and improved syncing between different Apple devices, Sierra adds nothing to Yosemite and actually runs slower.

Above all I can't believe that Apple has designed Sierra so that it picks out "old files that have not been opened for a
... See more
I agree - and thanks for the link. I tried Sierra for one day. The only "innovation" is that it tries to cajole/force/blackmail users into relying on the Cloud so that they will pay for ever-increasing capacity. Apart from Siri (which doesn't work well) and improved syncing between different Apple devices, Sierra adds nothing to Yosemite and actually runs slower.

Above all I can't believe that Apple has designed Sierra so that it picks out "old files that have not been opened for a long time" and moves them to the Cloud. Like many users (particularly translators, I would imagine) I am in the habit of occasionally opening files I haven't looked at for years and years. I need them to be on my hard drive - not in the Cloud!

So I went back to Yosemite and am staying with it. Steve Jobs would be turning in his grave if he could see what Tim Cook has done to Apple. Still a great operating system thanks to all the groundwork that Jobs did before he passed, but Cook & Co seem bent on wrecking it by inventing ever new ways to change it into a profit-generating system.

Rant over....for now.

[Edited at 2016-09-22 14:42 GMT]
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 18:29
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Maybe, just maybe... Sep 22, 2016

... it works as advertised, not as hineininterpreted.

Cheers,

Hans

Marcel van Dijk
Marcel van Dijk
Netherlands
Local time: 13:29
English to Dutch
+ ...
Or, Oct 14, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:

For the time being, I'll keep using Dropbox instead of iCloud for syncing my files between my Macs. Here's why:

Storage in the cloud, and maybe on your drive

Here’s what happened: I was editing a podcast in Apple’s Logic Pro X, and my project was stored on the Desktop. All of a sudden, the voice of one of my podcast panelists simply vanished from the mix. I quit and re-launched Logic, only to be told that the file in question was missing. Sure enough, a visit to Finder revealed that Sierra had “optimized” my storage and removed that file from my local drive. I’ll grant you, the file was a couple of weeks old, and very large as most audio files are. But I was also actively using it within a Logic project. Apparently that didn’t count for anything?

So that’s bad. That’s enough for me to turn off that feature and never use it again—or at the very least, never keep my project files on the Desktop or in the Documents folder.

Source: https://sixcolors.com/post/2016/09/sierra-review/

[Edited at 2016-09-22 14:19 GMT]

You could just turn of Optimize Mac Storage...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Be careful with syncing Desktop and Documents folders via iCloud (macOS Sierra)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »