Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Own a Mac? Use a Mac-compatible CAT tool!
Thread poster: CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 03:19
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly Jan 30, 2017

Erik Freitag wrote:

For the last step, Spotlight isn't going to be any help, unless I already know the answer, in which case I don't need to search in the first place.

Exactly. And the Spotlight procedure would take away one of the biggest advantages of a glossary: a typing aid (autosuggestion, autocompletion etc.)

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Not if you use dictation Jan 30, 2017

CafeTran Training wrote:
Exactly. And the Spotlight procedure would take away one of the biggest advantages of a glossary: a typing aid (autosuggestion, autocompletion etc.)

Yes, although that's irrelevant when using dictation software (which I believe Tom does).

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Right! Jan 30, 2017

Erik Freitag wrote:

CafeTran Training wrote:

Yes, although that's irrelevant when using dictation software (which I believe Tom does).

Correct. How could I forget.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:19
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Cloning Jan 30, 2017

I do a full bootable clone of my Mac every day, using Carbon Copy Cloner. Once a month I do a full bootable clone of my everyday working Mac to a MacBook Pro that I use when I'm away.

What's going to happen to my CAT tool/tools when I clone them and everything associated with them?

Oh by the way: please try to avoid making personal remarks aimed at me. Serious replies only please,

[Edited at 2017-01-30 14:56 GMT]

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Cloning Jan 30, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

What's going to happen to my CAT tool/tools when I clone them and everything associated with them?

[Edited at 2017-01-30 14:56 GMT]

Well, they're cloned. Upon restoring a cloned backup, re-licensing may or may not be necessary (which again may or may not require brief contact with support), but that's true for any other piece of licensed software you use. Surely nothing to lose sleep over.

[Edited at 2017-01-30 15:34 GMT]

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Cloning Jan 30, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

I do a full bootable clone of my Mac every day, using Carbon Copy Cloner. Once a month I do a full bootable clone of my everyday working Mac to a MacBook Pro that I use when I'm away.

It depends on the software. CafeTran: either a license (that can be used up to 2 Macs) or activation via Proz ('floating license', Proz Plus package). Wordfast: a license key (which isn't tied to your Mac, if I'm correct), Swordfish offers the best solution: just activate online via a digit code (though you'll probably need to contact support to reset the activation when you're hardware has crashed). Fluency: don't know. omegaT: no license necessary.

Regarding everything associated to your tools: this depends on the way you set 'things' up.

Do you already have Dropbox? Just place all projects, source documents, glossaries, translation memories etc. there.

No Dropbox? Place them in your iCloud drive. This, I didn't test.

[Edited at 2017-01-30 16:46 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 08:19
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Incremental Jan 31, 2017

Tom in London wrote:
Once a month I do a full bootable clone of my everyday working Mac to a MacBook Pro that I use when I'm away.

I take it, that the CCC clone to your MBP is an incremental copy. In that case, nothing will happen to CAT tools or any other apps, apart from the first time you clone.

Cheers,

Hans

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Own a Mac? Use a Mac-compatible CAT tool!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »