Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:18
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 17, 2005

I just received the text from Steve Jobs Commencement Adress, from Jun 12th at Stanford University.
I found it both interesting and moving.
You can find it at http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/jobs-061505.html

(As someone who has lived through the DTP revolution, I particularly appreciated the reference to his calligraphy course!)
... See more
I just received the text from Steve Jobs Commencement Adress, from Jun 12th at Stanford University.
I found it both interesting and moving.
You can find it at http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/jobs-061505.html

(As someone who has lived through the DTP revolution, I particularly appreciated the reference to his calligraphy course!)

Cheers,
Roberta
Collapse

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very moving Jun 17, 2005

Thanks for sharing this
Enrique

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:18
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Excellent article Jun 17, 2005

Excellent article about education and life. I sent it to my brother who is a college professor and my sister who is an education major.

Thanks!

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
A great read... Jun 17, 2005

WOW!

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Wow... Jun 17, 2005

That's the kind of stuff you need to hear when you're a student.

Thanks for sharing,
Gerard

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
thanks Jun 17, 2005

I really needed to read something like this today of all days.

Tekkie (X)
Tekkie (X)
English to German
+ ...
Oh no! Jun 18, 2005

If I had never dropped in on that single course in college, the Mac would have never had multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced fonts. And since Windows just copied the Mac, it's likely that no personal computer would have them. If I had never dropped out, I would have never dropped in on this calligraphy class, and personal computers might not have the wonderful typography that they do.

Does Steve Jobs really think that there are morons out there who believe his nonsense? The Lisa and the Macintosh based on the former hardware was just a simple piece of electronic circuitry, and the Macintosh operating system was developed by Digital Research. Steve Jobs didn't contribute to anything.

Steve Jobs is one of the most overestimated people of our times. If he hadn't met Steven Wozniak who developed the Apple I personal computer, Jobs would have to be satisfied with low-wage jobs such as selling BigMacs over the counter. This guy is just a free rider on other people's vehicles. Disgusting!

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Set us straight please Jun 20, 2005

Tekkie wrote:

If I had never dropped in on that single course in college, the Mac would have never had multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced fonts. And since Windows just copied the Mac, it's likely that no personal computer would have them. If I had never dropped out, I would have never dropped in on this calligraphy class, and personal computers might not have the wonderful typography that they do.

Does Steve Jobs really think that there are morons out there who believe his nonsense? The Lisa and the Macintosh based on the former hardware was just a simple piece of electronic circuitry, and the Macintosh operating system was developed by Digital Research. Steve Jobs didn't contribute to anything.

Steve Jobs is one of the most overestimated people of our times. If he hadn't met Steven Wozniak who developed the Apple I personal computer, Jobs would have to be satisfied with low-wage jobs such as selling BigMacs over the counter. This guy is just a free rider on other people's vehicles. Disgusting!

Could you please explain what really happened as far as typefaces go? It did sound plausible.

On the off chance that Jobs didn't contribute to anything, I'd like to know how he became rich after growing up in the lower middle class. What was his technique for free-riding on other people's vehicles? I'd like to know.

Tekkie (X)
Tekkie (X)
English to German
+ ...
Famous, rich people and their fabricated legends Jun 20, 2005

Edward Potter wrote:

Could you please explain what really happened as far as typefaces go? It did sound plausible.

First of all: The curricula vitae of most famous, rich, or mighty people are just legends. Often, these legends aren't even created by these people themselves but by so-called arsecrawlers who profit from them.

Steve Jobs' typeface fairytale is ridiculous because it would require only very little imagination to have the idea of representing alphanumerical characters as bitmap images which was the case with the Macintosh operating system before the development of vector typefaces, i.e., PostScript and (later) TrueType fonts. And I'm absolutely sure that this wasn't Steve Jobs' idea even if he tells this greasy story that I consider pure fiction.

When I had my third computerized word-processing system*, a Vydec 1800 (http://www.osfn.org/ricm/c-vydec.html) that had vector instead of raster screen display, in early 1980, I often wished it had a typographical screen display and would print in the same way. However, I didn't have any interest and not enough money to develop such system myself. The idea of such representation on screen and in print is universal - thousands of people will have had this idea even before 1980.

On the off chance that Jobs didn't contribute to anything, I'd like to know how he became rich after growing up in the lower middle class. What was his technique for free-riding on other people's vehicles? I'd like to know.

Many people who just profit from others become rich or even super rich. Steve Jobs became rich because he was an acquaintance of Steven Wozniak. Woz was a good electronics engineer with a few interesting - but not really new - ideas. Woz developed the stuff and bigmouth Steve Jobs sold it.

If he hadn't met Woz, he would now perhaps sell Big Macs at a McDonald's fast-food joint, used cars, or vacuum cleaners. He wouldn't be rich and only few people would know him.

Steve Jobs is a notorious boaster. In the fall of 1978, I met him once for a few hours together with Steven Wozniak and other people, and everybody shook hands with everybody else. Among the about 30 people invited to an official dinner, Jobs stood out as the person with the biggest mouth of them all.

* After a Diehl DS 2000 (1979) and the world's first microprocessor (Intel 4004) based word-processing system developed and manufactured by a company at Landhut-Ergoldsbach in Germany whose name I have forgotten. This system consisted of an IBM golf-ball typewriter for data entry and printing, a microcomputer unit with search & replace functions, and a built-in tape cassette storage unit that I bought in early 1974.

[Edited at 2005-06-21 15:08]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Steve Jobs Commencement speech at Stanford

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »