Diana Cossato (X)
Diana Cossato (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 06:43
Hungarian to Italian
+ ...
Nov 24, 2005

Hello everybody!

I'm approaching the world of CATs and I have done quite some reading both here on Proz and elsewhere, but I'm no expert yet. I'm on a G3 Ibook (300Mhz 288 Ram) so I was considering OmegaT among others. From what I understand one of OmegaT's shortcomings is the inability to deliver Trados-like ucleaned rtf files.

My question is: would it be possible to use RtfStyler by Maxprograms for this purpose? Would it work with OmegaT or just with heartsome?
... See more
Hello everybody!

I'm approaching the world of CATs and I have done quite some reading both here on Proz and elsewhere, but I'm no expert yet. I'm on a G3 Ibook (300Mhz 288 Ram) so I was considering OmegaT among others. From what I understand one of OmegaT's shortcomings is the inability to deliver Trados-like ucleaned rtf files.

My question is: would it be possible to use RtfStyler by Maxprograms for this purpose? Would it work with OmegaT or just with heartsome?

Thank you for any advice!

Diana
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:43
English to Spanish
A CAT toool that supports RTF is required Nov 24, 2005

DianaC wrote:

Hi Diana,

OmegaT does not support RTF files. Neither normal RTF nor uncleaned RTF.

Besides uncleaned RTF, Heartsome's tools also support TTX files, a must have if you want real Trados compatibility. No other tool can handle TTX format on Mac at this moment.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
OmegaT and uncleaned RTFs Nov 25, 2005

Hi Diana,

I suggest you begin by trying OmegaT. It's free, so you don't have anything to lose, except a little time - and not even much of that, given how easy it is to learn.

If you then find it doesn't meet all your needs, you can buy Heartsome, and you won't have lost anything.

OmegaT does of course support (normal) RTF, when used in combination with OpenOffice.org (OOo). (Wordfast also needs Word in order to support RTF, right?) You will therefore need
... See more
Hi Diana,

I suggest you begin by trying OmegaT. It's free, so you don't have anything to lose, except a little time - and not even much of that, given how easy it is to learn.

If you then find it doesn't meet all your needs, you can buy Heartsome, and you won't have lost anything.

OmegaT does of course support (normal) RTF, when used in combination with OpenOffice.org (OOo). (Wordfast also needs Word in order to support RTF, right?) You will therefore need to download and install a suitable version of OOo if you want to use OmegaT to translate RTF, Word, Powerpoint, etc.

As for using RtfStyler with OmegaT: there may be a workaround which makes this possible, but I'm not aware of it.

Marc
Collapse

Diana Cossato (X)
Diana Cossato (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Hungarian to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both Nov 25, 2005

Thanks for the tips! I'm using Neooffice and I'm very pleased with its performance. I'll try and play around with OmegaT a bit and then see what it is I really need.

Have a nice day!
Diana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

OmegaT and uncleaned RTFs

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »