Claudio Chagas (X)
Claudio Chagas (X)
Brazil
Local time: 11:06
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 25, 2005

Hi there!

I downloaded OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 for Mac OS X (X11): Legacy Build (ooo112_osx_final.dmg.bz2) to my iBook running OS X (v. 10.4.3), but when I try to open it, I'm prompted to select a X Window Server. I have no clues on what to do whatever that means. The later version OpenOffice.org 2.0 for Mac OS X (X11) didn’t startup on OS X (v. 10.4.3). It crashes in the middle of the process.

Has anybody experienced this behaviour before and know what to do? What's a g
... See more
Hi there!

I downloaded OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 for Mac OS X (X11): Legacy Build (ooo112_osx_final.dmg.bz2) to my iBook running OS X (v. 10.4.3), but when I try to open it, I'm prompted to select a X Window Server. I have no clues on what to do whatever that means. The later version OpenOffice.org 2.0 for Mac OS X (X11) didn’t startup on OS X (v. 10.4.3). It crashes in the middle of the process.

Has anybody experienced this behaviour before and know what to do? What's a graphical Xwindow Interface?

NeoOffice (NeoOffice-1.2_Alpha.dmg) is running without problems, but I would like to try OpenOffice.org and see how it works.

I have been searching on the OpenOffice.org forums and downloaded some user guides from their website, but no light was shed on this issue yet. It must be something basic that I don't have the background knowledge about.

Your help will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Claudio
Collapse

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 10:06
English
You need X11 Nov 25, 2005

Claudio Chagas wrote:

Hi there!

Has anybody experienced this behaviour before and know what to do? What's a graphical Xwindow Interface?

NeoOffice (NeoOffice-1.2_Alpha.dmg) is running without problems, but I would like to try OpenOffice.org and see how it works.

OpenOffice for Mac uses what's called X11, the name for the interface between you and the application. Strictly speaking, I think X11 is under the larger umbrella of X Windows. You can install X11 ala carte from the Mac operating system CDs.

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:06
English to German
+ ...
NeoOffice Nov 25, 2005

It is correct that you need X11 server if you want to run OpenOffice.org on Mac OS. However, there is a native port for Mac, called NeoOffice. This one does not represent the latest available OOo version, as the OpenOffice.org development team is not involved in this project.

Good luck,

Sonja

[Edited at 2005-11-25 18:38]

Claudio Chagas (X)
Claudio Chagas (X)
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Optional Installs folder Nov 25, 2005

tlmurray wrote:

OpenOffice for Mac uses what's called X11... You can install X11 ala carte from the Mac operating system CDs.

Thanks Timurray,

It looks like I am beginning to get it.

Pop the OS install disk into the drive.
Scroll down in the main directory on the install disk until you see the package icon with the filename 'Optional Installs'
(Don't run the Install Mac OS X icon.)
Double-click on 'Optional Installs' and go through the first few screens.
Choose your boot hard drive.
When it gives you a list of Package Names, click the expand triangle next to Applications.
Under there, check 'X11' (of course) and then click install.

[Edited at 2005-11-26 03:35]

Claudio Chagas (X)
Claudio Chagas (X)
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Running OpenOffice.org under XDarwin Nov 25, 2005

It's finally working, including OpenOffice.org 2.0. I didn't need to install XDarwin. All I needed was X11.

Thanks for your help.

[Edited at 2005-11-26 04:34]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Starting OpenOffice.org

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »