Thread poster: Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
Local time: 05:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 3, 2006

Hi. Right, how to put it? It's kind of silly. When I click on Word's Formatting Palette, it first flies like a rocket and then sinks off screen and out of view. It's quite cute what it does, like a Disney cartoon action, "allez-hop-voilà-au revoir!", but rather inconvenient as the thingy is either too shy or naughty to come out again and let me use it as any decent Word tool would when they know I need them... And I can't think of any way to go about it.
Any ideas (bar saying "come here,
... See more
Hi. Right, how to put it? It's kind of silly. When I click on Word's Formatting Palette, it first flies like a rocket and then sinks off screen and out of view. It's quite cute what it does, like a Disney cartoon action, "allez-hop-voilà-au revoir!", but rather inconvenient as the thingy is either too shy or naughty to come out again and let me use it as any decent Word tool would when they know I need them... And I can't think of any way to go about it.
Any ideas (bar saying "come here, Formatty, goo goo, that's a good girl!" bone-shaped biscuit in hand) to get the joker out?
It may not matter, but I use a Mac 10.4.2.
Thank you
Paul
Collapse

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Come here, Formatty... Apr 4, 2006

Hi Paul,

I think I've found the solution to your problem, but it's going to be a bit tricky, since being in Switzerland, I use the German version of Word, so the terms I use might not be the ones you actually see in the English version, but you should be able to get the idea.

Anyway, In the "Utilities" menu (between "Fonts" and "Tables"), there is a feature right at the bottom of the list, presumably called "Adjust" or "Adapt". Click on that, choose "Formatting Palette"
... See more
Hi Paul,

I think I've found the solution to your problem, but it's going to be a bit tricky, since being in Switzerland, I use the German version of Word, so the terms I use might not be the ones you actually see in the English version, but you should be able to get the idea.

Anyway, In the "Utilities" menu (between "Fonts" and "Tables"), there is a feature right at the bottom of the list, presumably called "Adjust" or "Adapt". Click on that, choose "Formatting Palette", and then you should be able to housebreak your disobedient pet by changing options in "Behavior" and "Effects".

And only give it that biscuit if it really behaves afterwards...

P.S. I use OS X 10.4.5, but I really don't think that makes any difference to that particular problem.

[Edited at 2006-04-04 09:20]
Collapse

Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip, Cet Apr 5, 2006

Cetacea wrote:

Hi Paul,

Anyway, In the "Utilities" menu (between "Fonts" and "Tables"), there is a feature right at the bottom of the list, presumably called "Adjust" or "Adapt". Click on that, choose "Formatting Palette", and then you should be able to housebreak your disobedient pet by changing options in "Behavior" and "Effects".

And only give it that biscuit if it really behaves afterwards...

P.S. I use OS X 10.4.5, but I really don't think that makes any difference to that particular problem.

[Edited at 2006-04-04 09:20]

...unfortunately though, I'm tipless, as for whatever reason my Mac Word app has no Utilities menu between Fonts and Tables. But I'll try reloading Word to give Formy Pet a fright and get it out of the hole...
Danke schön
Paul

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Language Problem ;-) Apr 5, 2006

P...unfortunately though, I'm tipless, as for whatever reason my Mac Word app has no Utilities menu between Fonts and Tables. But I'll try reloading Word to give Formy Pet a fright and get it out of the hole...
Danke schön
Paul

You're welcome. But remember, it might not be called "Utilities" after all, and it might be in a different location among all the menus in Word. Anyway, that particular menu contains other features such as Track Changes, Spell Checker, Thesaurus, Languages, Address Book, Print Envelopes, etc. And the "Adapt" feature in there also lets you customize your toolbar. So if it's really not there, reloading will make a big difference for you.

Good luck!
Cetacea

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fly-to-Sink-Out-of-View Word Formatting Palette

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »