Olivier Vasseur
Olivier Vasseur  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:22
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
Apr 20, 2006

I've just found a way to send a client a file too large for email (40Mo). It uses the Apache web server that comes with your mac. In the system preferences, go to sharing, and check "personal web sharing". This activates the Apache web server. You'll see a web address at the bottom of the preference pane (two, actually, the one you need is the second one, with your username in it), this is the address of your personal web server. If you click, you'll see a web page exemple. Go to your home fold... See more
I've just found a way to send a client a file too large for email (40Mo). It uses the Apache web server that comes with your mac. In the system preferences, go to sharing, and check "personal web sharing". This activates the Apache web server. You'll see a web address at the bottom of the preference pane (two, actually, the one you need is the second one, with your username in it), this is the address of your personal web server. If you click, you'll see a web page exemple. Go to your home folder, and open the "site" folder. Take away the "index.html" file (which contain the exemple) and replace with ANY file (s) you want to share. Now you go to the web address that you found in the preference pane, you'll see the list of files you put in the "site" folder. Et voilà !
The files are downloadable, so you just have to give the address you found in the preference pane. No more size limit (if you're worried about giving access to your drive, you can turn web sharing off once your client has downloaded the file) .

Unfortunately, this is not enough for me, since I also have files to receive from the client. does anyone have experience with idisk? The client has a PC, and to access an idisk with a PC, the client will need to download a special programme from Apple and install it. Then he will be able to acces the idisk like any drive in his network. Did anyone use it with a client? Is it really as simple as it seems? And above all, I'd like to know if anyone was able to convince a client to use it ? I don't want to pay for .mac and find out I don't need it. The idisk idea is interesting but the .mac service is full of "familly" features which are useless to me.
Olivier Vasseur
Collapse

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 06:22
English to German
+ ...
MacFixit Apr 20, 2006

Thank you for the trick, Olivier. Unfortunately, I have no experience with iDisk, but have you tried searching the MacFixit database? That usually holds all kinds of info and helpful hints.

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:22
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 20, 2006

[Edited at 2006-04-20 21:56]

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 00:22
English
Other solutions Apr 20, 2006

I use iDisk a lot, but it's rather slow using its desktop (Finder) interface.

A very nice tool it called File Chute, from yellowmug.com. You just drop a file onto an icon (or even the Dock icon), and it sends it off to an iDisk folder. There are options to zip and password-protect along the way. Then it loads the clipboard with the URL you send to whomever needs it. About its only limitation is your iDisk account size.

For really big stuff, another is PC-Mac-Net FileSh
... See more
I use iDisk a lot, but it's rather slow using its desktop (Finder) interface.

A very nice tool it called File Chute, from yellowmug.com. You just drop a file onto an icon (or even the Dock icon), and it sends it off to an iDisk folder. There are options to zip and password-protect along the way. Then it loads the clipboard with the URL you send to whomever needs it. About its only limitation is your iDisk account size.

For really big stuff, another is PC-Mac-Net FileShare from http://www.lavasoftware.com. Note that each user installs the software, and some clients don't want to go to any more trouble than using a browser. Handy thing about this is that you connect through the Lava Software server -- you don't need to know the other person's IP address.

Another is XCaramba, from http://www.xybernic.com. It's like PC-Mac-Net FileShare, except you need to know the other person's IP.

And finally, you have those fileshare web sites, like DropLoad.com (100MB limit).
Collapse

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 00:22
English
About .Mac in general Apr 20, 2006

I noted you said, "The idisk idea is interesting but the .mac service is full of "familly" features which are useless to me".

I gotta tell you, the backup and syncing services have been invaluable to me. I just got another Mac last week, and the ease of moving everything over -- Mail, bookmarks, addresses, calendars, etc., was well worth it, not to mention my contacts and bookmarks are available from any computer anywhere that let's me get to the .Mac site.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

file sharing : a trick and a question about iDisk and PC

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »